PDA

View Full Version : Cars allowed???

EnduroFromDE
10-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe some people can list some cars here that was questionable for NEETS enduro, for example....

95 Pontiac Grand Am QUAD 4
Chevy El Camino (car or truck?)
Saturn Sc2 TwinCam (or any twin cam?)
Volvo 850 5 cyl (big or small{4 or 6 cyl?})

nobandwagonhere
10-13-2006, 10:16 PM
How are these questionable? The only one I would question is the El-Camino. Other than that, as long as it isnt a turbo or a 2 seater, and it falls between the guidelines, it should be good. (remember...on the edge isnt OUT of the guidelines...right? :rolleyes: )... Good luck. :wave:

NEETS-1
10-14-2006, 09:04 AM
The Pontiac Quad4 and the twin cam motored cars are allowed and have been running in the NEETS shows. I believe the Volvo 850 does not fall under the 4cyl wheel base rules therefore may have to run w/ the big cars even though it would be down a cylinder. The same fell true to the big 7 series BMWs even though they were 4cyls.
As far as the El Camino/Ranchero type (cars/trucks)...they are the "red headed stepchild. They are definetly not legal in the TRUX division and in my opinion, not a good idea for the big car division.
They are the same frame as the pre-78 cars and the later metric cars except the main frame rails are boxed for strength. Of course this is the same thing that is done for convertibles. Convertibles are not allowed in NEETS (but not because of the frame). I feel there is not enough drivers compartment to protect the driver...the back window is right behind your head. If a car climbs over the quarter panel, it could place its bumper between your ears. Another question is where is the gas tank. In some of the models it is mounted in the quarter panel behind the tire and not between the frame rails. With no trunk, you would have to mount a fuel cell in the bed.
I do not see any other advantages of running this type vehicle.
All in all...for right now I am going to have to say that an El Camino/Ranchero type vehicle should not be allowed until we thoroughly inspect one of these vehicles. I will leave this up to my Tech/Safety team.
If anybody else has an opinion, please feel free to post it.

PS- The good thing about NEETS is we leave it up to you to pick the model of vehicle within the rules that you think can do well. You are not locked into a "cookie cutter" type car. It is up to your creativity to find a model that could find the winners circle.

richardpetey
10-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I guess my 3WD malibu wagon w/matching front and rear trailer hitches and GM experimental turbine engine might be considered "within the rules"............................. :eek:
UNCLE PETEY......................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

nobandwagonhere
10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
:rolleyes: As long as its rear steer assist! :applause: :rolleyes: :wave: :lol:

richardpetey
10-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I think you're onto something Donny!......................... :rolleyes:
I've always had problems with running my a$$ down the wrong road.......... :eek:
UNCLE PETEY........................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: