PDA

View Full Version : "Crazy" Joe Eginton

CarWarsVet
10-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I learned yesterday that Joe passed away after a long battle with cancer. He was a former Freeport speedway Backward-forward champion for many years in the 80s and 90s. Although we had some differences, he was a good guy to know and one of the better competitors I have ever demo'd with on the same track. I understand he will be waked 10/23 and 10/24 at Daltons in New Hyde Park on Hillside av. RIP Joe-B.B.

Gravel
10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
WOW. One of the guys I looked up to when I first started. Joe taught me a lot, setting up the car mostly, but also how to drive backwards. I still have a picture of his blue Imperial that he used for most of one season.
R.I.P. #87, you'll be missed.

OTIS RATBONE
10-25-2006, 10:22 AM
:*-( A Great Demo Driver, friend, partner Is Gone. We Were Mortal Enemies At One Time, but Became Best Of Friends Because Of The Fierce Competition That We Had At Freeport. He Never Hid From Anybody On The Track, like Some Proclaimed "World Champions From Long Island". In The Last Year Of Freeport Speedway, We Worked As Officials At The Speedway, where We Ran The Demo Derby And Spectator Races. Mike Cass And Alan, the Track Stewards, Had Told Us The Previous Year That We Would Not Be Allowed To Race In 1983, the Closing Year Of The Track, because We Had Bent, broken And Fractured Every Rule In The Book For Demo Derbys At Freeport. What Irony! Putting The Two Biggest Rule Benders In Charge! I Know He Is In Heaven Now With A Mint 65 Crown Coupe Imperial, Kicking Everybody's ***!!!