PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Nascar WMT

kinserfan11
10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know if the WMT will visit either Mahoning Valley Speedway, Mountain Speedway or even Chemung Speedrome in 2007?

RGeeProductions
10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I haven't recieved any WMT Schedule PR as of yet.

art11758
10-27-2006, 08:53 AM
The schedule gets announced at the banquet IIRC. MVS and Chemung both hosted ROC Mods this year and I, while not being an authority of any kind, would think that they would continue to do so. MVS is a blast to go to. Chemung and Mountain are on my "get to" list, so I cannot offer an observation. Modified racing regardless of sanctioning is all good.

Mortgage Guy
10-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't think they are NASCAR sanctioned tracks, so I doubt they will get a NASCAR date. I, for one, wish they would go, it's getting kind of boring with Thompson and Stafford front loading the schedule, but it costs these tracks a ton of money to have the tour in and it just does not draw what it used to. The purses are so high through the field that it almost doesn't make sense to go out and get sanctioned by NASCAR. All you end up doing is paying more money to run your track. I am pretty sure that there is a hefty fee to become a NASCAR sanctioned track. This is why they now have the ROC and True Value series, they can race anywhere they choose.

kinserfan11
10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Why not run at a non-nascar track? Some how we the fans and us photographers must get the WMT to PA other than Jennerstown !!! MVS will be the best for them; 1/4 mile semi-banked oval!

TruValueRacer
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
If you're bored of the tour going to Thompson and Stafford all the time, why don't you all take some trips to watch the True Value Modified tour, heat races, consi's, and an awesome 100 lap feature. Plus it's only 30-40 dollars on pit entry instead of going to Thompson and paying $75, yeah it's not bad when your there for 3 days, but for the one day, it's horrible. Just look into it.

W. J.
10-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Why not run at a non-nascar track? some how we the fans and us photographers must get the wmt to pa other than jennerstown !!! mvs will be the best for them; 1/4 mile semi-banked oval !
Don't tell us, tell the promotoers who have to lay out the money what you want, and let them decide if it's worth it.

Mike Fields
10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Don't tell us, tell the promotoers who have to lay out the money what you want, and let them decide if it's worth it.

And to get that show, they'll be laying out a minimum of $65,000 - $70,000 bucks.

Mortgage Guy
10-28-2006, 08:16 PM
More like 100k, NASCAR should kick in a like 1 million a year (which is like 1000 to you and me) so that a track like Riverhead or Mahoning or Waterford can afford to have the race. Tracks like Thompson and Stafford can hold double the amount of people, so it is easier for them to meet the purses. If NASCAR keeps this mentality about the tour then it will be gone sooner than later. Plus now they have a booming Southern Modified tour, so why do they need a tour in the North East?? JMO

Teds Race Tours
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
I still want 3 races year at Riverhead, let alone 2.

kinserfan11
10-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Does anyone konw if Nascar will put out a 2006 yearbook on the nascar mod tour?

Dwight Clock
10-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Chemung and Mountain are in areas where it would be tough to draw enough people to cover the cost of a WMT show. I don't think that Mountain (formerly Evergreen) has ever seen 3000 people there. And Chemung is in the middle of nowhere, probably 20 miles or so from the Black Hole. IMO NASCAR needs to go back to Richmond, have a second Martinsville race, and do whatever is needed to get back into Oswego. Major venues that will give the series the exposure it so richly deserves.

W. J.
10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
I believe Chemung tried to schedule a WMT race a year or so ago, and cancelled it before the scheduled date. It's worth a try, as it's in the same area as Tioga/Shangri La, which did have tour races at one time.
Yes, it's expensive to hold a tour race. Martinsville used to have 4 a year, as did NHIS, but Nextel Cup money has made everything else seem like small potatos, so I guess they felt why bother even putting in the work to promote such 'small' events. NASCAR's Oldest Division~placed in the old 'folks' home!

kinserfan11
10-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Chemung did have WMT race a few years back.

Captain History
11-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Chemung's only WMT event was on August 10, 2001.

kinserfan11
11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah I know; I was there and Jerry Marquis won

Mod134
11-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I've heard several rumors for the '07 WMT schedule:

More traveling - West and South!

Fewer Races At: Stafford and Thompson possibly dropping to 2 dates each (down from 4 and 5 respectively) :*-(
Not Returning: Jennerstown, Riverhead, Waterford! :mad:

New Venues: :drool:
Mansfield Motorsports Park, Mansfield OH (doubleheader w/ BES, twin 100s)
South Boston Speedway, S. Boston, VA

Jaws
11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
They WILL be open and racing in 2007.

So that race in June is probably back.

Dwight Clock
11-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't count on that. The owner is only opening in 2007 to showcase the track to potential buyers. He may not want to go for a big purse event such as the WMT. Hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

EnduroFromDE
11-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Are they still going to be running at Wall Stadium? That's always a bashfest.
Short race, but short tantrum.

Jaws
11-13-2006, 01:02 AM
There are no Hooters cup races on the schedule, so you may be right.

Short & Simple
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
The WMT was at Adirondack a couple of years ago and they weren't NASCAR. I believe they signed a one event sanction for the WMT.

ectthunder
12-04-2006, 11:44 PM
To be honest with you, we need a Yes or No from the people that know what the heck is going on!!!

J.A., your quite on this!!! Is it YES or NO at Riverhead?????????

LongIslandJam
12-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Definite yes... WMT is back this year at Riverhead... Straight from Bob Finan...

Mike Fields
12-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Tim, from what I understand, the Whelen Southern Modified Tour is anything but booming. They have a minimal number of cars that are willing to travel away from Bowman-Gray to race at a WSMT event, although there are many Mods to draw from. I understand that rarely are cars sent home due to the low car counts.

I think that it could be much better, from the word that I hear. However, being 600 miles away from the center of the Southern action, I have no answers. I probably should get Jerry Smith to look into it.