PDA

View Full Version : Attention: 9-Time Racing champion Johnny Coy Passes Away

Kamikaze.
10-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Racing pioneer and legend Johnny Barbaro [Johnny Coy] passed away Saturday, October 28th, 2006. Johnny raced Stock cars, Sprint Cars, 3/4 Midgets, Midgets, and Indy Cars in his vast racing career. He was a 9 time driving champion and showed the pro's a thing or two about racing.

He will be reposing Hartnett Funeral Home, 561 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale. [Aprox. 2 blocks west of Uniondale Ave.]
Visiting Hours include: Monday 2-4, 7-9
Burial: Tuesday morning [9:30am] Greenfield Cemetary, Uniondale/Hempstead

Any further questions, please call Marty Himes at his home, (631)666-4912 or visit him at his home/museum at 15 Oneil Ave., Bayshore, NY

All information supplied by Mr. Marty Himes, 54 year friend of Johnny Coy.

The Bullfather
10-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Coy was a nice guy, I had the opportunity to sit him a couple times at the race track and also a car show. Truly a legend has passed away, Rest in peace Johnny. If they have a midget dirt track in heaven, they just received one of the best ever.

Captain History
10-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Here's some information and pictures:
http://www.worthyofhonor.com/Inductees/Johnny_Coy.htm

randomrodder
10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Johnny, you will be missed in the racing world here on Earth but you are in a much better place now. Rest In Peace old timer. Your Legacy lives on in our hearts, minds and the record books.

jerseyjet
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
The racing world lost one the best. Johnny was unbelievable, I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with him and his whole family. The whole Coy family, Johnny Sr., Johnny Jr., and Joey raced for my dad. That was an education I'll never forget. It was an honor for me to work on his car as a teenager. Johnny won his last feature in my dad's car at the 1983 Turkey derby. I still have in my possession his trackstar racing gloves he gave me after that race.
Johnny retired in '83, as I turned 18 and would be driving my family's cars. I replaced my IDOL, that's something I'll never forget
I was lucky enough to have the MASTER travel with me and coach me when I started out in the 3/4 midgets. He taught me a lot. There will always be a special spot in my heart for JC!!!
I'm sure as I write this, he is on the pole for the Heaven 500 Open Wheel Extravaganza for midgets.
Rest in Peace JC
Joey Payne and family

Bad Guy
10-29-2006, 10:54 AM
My Condolences to the Barbaro family.
Johnny was the best driver I ever known.
I learned so much from him, R. I. P. Johnny

Your friend, Will Ford

kens77stang
10-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Goodbye Johnny, we're all sorry to see ya go. You'rr gonna be missed, but never forgotten. Tell my gramps we said hi ,would ya? We love ya Johnny...we'll all see ya again one day. God bless ya.

fouramerica
10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Johnny Coy was my neighbor in Merrick, NY. He was a talented mechanic and car builder, as well as the best Midget driver I have ever seen. He built the very first race car I ever ran, a 1937 Chevy coupe modified we ran at Riverhead and Freeport. He was always pleasant, willing to help and just an overall nice guy. If you got to see him run, you were lucky as he was the show. Now, he'll be lapping the field above us. God Bless Johnny Coy

Michael Sweet

Tower Man
10-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I had the opportunity to sit and chat with Johnny Coy at Jennerstown this past season while his grandson ran a tour race. He was a gentleman and totally professional when asked to make a couple of changes on his car. I remember watching him race at Islip and Freeport in the 60's and the 70's, and we actually laughed about it.

The pits in heaven are getting full and it's going to get hard to qualify. But the good thing is, once in heaven, they don't send you home, because heaven is home.

Will miss you Johnny Coy. (Say hello to my uncle Johnny Kraft, he probably needs help setting up his car). You are a part of my childhood memories.

Captain History
11-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Johnny Coy, Sr. Obituary

by Walter Elliott
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Johnny Coy, Sr.'s remains were interred here at Greenfield Cemetery Oct. 31 after visitation the day before at the Hartnett Funeral Home in nearby Uniondale. The nine-time midget car champion was believed to be 80 when he died after a long illness Oct. 28.

Coy's record include the 1958 NASCAR and 1968-69 and 1971-72 American Racing Drivers Club championships. He won numerous feature victories in American Three Quarter Midget Association, New England Midget Association, United Racing Club sprint and stock cars over a five decade career. He retired after winning a Wall (N.J.) Stadium Turkey Derby feature in 1984.

Born John Barbaro, Coy, in a 1990 interview said he had his first taste of racing while riding a steamroller that was paving Freeport (N.Y.) Stadium in 1939 while five years old. Barbaro would later win midget and stock car features there, neighboring Islip Speedway and Madison Square Garden plus Pine Brook Speedway, Teaneck Armory and the old Atlantic City Convention Center in New Jersey.

Barbaro changed his name to Coy before driving stints in California and Oklahoma. He had passed his rookie drivers test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1962 but his car broke down during a qualifying attempt for that year's 500. His sons Johnny, Jr. and Joey have gone on to win TQ and full midget features and championshps; grandson Richie has moved from TQs to the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour.

Wife Erlinda, son James and William and daughters Brenda, Darlene, Deborah and Theresa are also among Coy's survivors.