PDA

View Full Version : Islip's Wildest Finish

Dwight Clock
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
As I look back on my years at Islip I remember how special the 100 lap modified races were back in the 60's. And it was in one of those in 1964 that the wildest finish I ever saw at Islip occurred. National Sportsman champ Rene Charland made Islip his Saturday home in those days. And Jim Hendrickson was only a couple of years into his tenure in the Ferrante X3. Gentleman Jim took the lead at the start closely pursued by Charland. Charland tried hard but Hendrickson was a difficult man to pass at Islip. About halfway Charland got into the back of the X3, spinning Jim out of the race. Now Charland had the lead closely followed by the drivers in positions 2 - 7. If I recall correctly, they included Fred Harbach, Al DeAngelo, Gil Hearne, possibly Ed Flemke, and Frank Wisniewski. With about ten to go Hendrickson suddenly pulled out of the infield and slowly circled the track. As the field entered into turn three on the 100th and final lap Hendrickson made a right turn into Charland sending him into the wall. The problem was that it also sent the cars in positions 2 through 6 into the wall. As everyone was watching the melee in turn 3 a surprised Frank Wisniewski, who had been 7th with a lap to go, crossed under the checkered for the win. Needless to say, the pits were a bit crazier than usual after the races that night.

Teds Race Tours
11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Great Story, Thanks for someone who was born in 65, and obviously didn't get to this one.