PDA

View Full Version : 1972

Dwight Clock
11-03-2006, 08:11 AM
The thread about the drivers from 1972 has stirred memories of that year for me. It was a great year to be following modified racing on Long Island. Tom Galan was the promoter at Riverhead. They only averaged about 18 modifieds but that allowed me to do something many nights that I never thought would have been possible. The program was run off swiftly and the modified feature was usually checkered by 8:30. We would take off for Islip arriving around 9:00 or 9:15. Would usually get to see the consis and the feature which would normally be over by 10:00. If it was we would take off for Freeport where, if we got there by 10:30, we caught the Non-Ford feature. Riverhead ran 16 programs in 1972. Of those 16 nights we got to see the feature at Islip 11 times. Of those 11 we got to see the feature at Freeport 4 times. Four times seeing the features at all three LI tracks on the same night. The best part was going back to Islip afterwards for the party and telling people. They couldn't believe that we had done that! Good times!