PDA

View Full Version : Non Fords

Dwight Clock
11-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I always enjoyed Freeport's version of modifieds, the Non Ford division. If ever a division was suited for a track this was it. Fords dominated stock car racing in the 50's. To keep the competition even they were simply excluded. It probably wouldn't work today in our litigation based society but back then it was ok. Another factor making it interesting was the exclusion of V8 engines. Freeport, a flat 1/5 mile, was ideally suited for 6 cylinder competition. And it made it that much sweeter when most cars were of the early 30's variety, those neat little coupes that just looked like race cars. I always wished that they would run them on Tuesdays or Fridays instead of the sedans but it never happened. Ed & George Brunnhoelzl, Bruno Brackey, Jim Lacy, Bob Lameroux, George Cousins, Georgie Peters, Billy Spade, and so many others would compete each week. Freeport would race into October each year and I remember back in the 60's that George Cousins had a streak where he won at Freeport the night before the big race at Langhorne several years in a row. I wonder if there is any video or 8mm of these cars racing back then?

310fig8
11-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I do remember the Non-Fords. Freeport was always trying to do something different to keep interest. Does anyone remember the year they ran the "Open Cockpit Modifieds"? That's right, they cut the roof off the cars and ran them like that!!! They wanted the fans to be able to see the drivers more clearly, like you can in the Midgets.

Dwight Clock
11-12-2006, 08:51 AM
I do remember the Non-Fords. Freeport was always trying to do something different to keep interest. Does anyone remember the year they ran the "Open Cockpit Modifieds"? Thats right, they cut the roof off the cars and ran them like that!!! They wanted the fans to be able to see the drivers more clearly like you can in the Midgets.Yes. I do remember that! I think, but am not sure, that was 1965. It didn't last long but it was different.

DAN D.
11-17-2006, 01:02 AM
As some know, in my shop (the old Complete Auto Body in Baldwin-Casper Buttafuoco's) now The National Collision Co., I have many, many pictures of the 50's, 60's, and some 70's lining the walls of the offices and waiting area and talking about open cockpits, I have a great picture of Georgie Peters in a car.. any time any one wants to stop past and go down memory lane, just call (516 868-9400) or stop past. Thanks, Dan Dombal, courtesy of Bobby Buttafuoco.

Dwight Clock
11-17-2006, 06:24 AM
I don't get out that way much anymore but will keep that in mind. Thanks, Dan! :applause:

310fig8
11-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Here is a picture of Mickey Corr in one of the open cockpit Modifieds.