PDA

View Full Version : Demo tips

EnduroFromDE
11-12-2006, 04:17 PM
I was told by an experienced demo derby guy, that if you by-pass the rad. and the water pump and run oil in place of the water/anti. the motor would NOT overheat. Is this true???

art11758
11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
81 views and no reply. To answer simply, not in the conventional sense. Water boils at 212 degrees. If you pressurize it, you raise the boiling point. Thats what the radiator cap does. Oil boils at some other temperature that I am not aware of. It will expand and do other nasty stuff before "overheating".(boiling over) So it may to some degree, but I would think that the benefit might not warrant the risk. In medievil times, the common practice was to pour boiling oil on invaders as a deterrent (and torture). I would not want to be near your stuff when the oil finally exceeded the capacity of a gasket. I don't think you would want to be in it when that happened either.

nightmare
11-24-2006, 01:18 PM
I heard some Jersey guys run hydraulic fluid or something like that, and the motor has a 30 minute run time before it turns to toast. I guess it's the assumption also if there's no radiator to get punctured, that's half the battle.

fisherman
11-25-2006, 06:16 PM
I heard methanol was mixed with the water and pressurized.

art11758
11-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I did some investigating and found that oil boils at a much higher temperature (couldn't get a definite temperature, though) than water. Water has much better thermal conductivity than oil, which is why it is the preferred coolant. I still wouldn't want to be around when it finally happens to decompress though.............

pitbull113
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
By-pass the radiator and run alcohol instead of gasoline.

redwiteandblue
11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
And PRAY for no fire!