PDA

View Full Version : Grand Enduro engine

WEEZER
11-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Does the crate 350 chevy engine for $2000.00 from walter come .030 over?

pitbull113
11-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Are the grands running crates now? Whats the scoop on new rules??

EZMotors1555
11-13-2006, 08:09 AM
-GM Motor only
-Small Block
-Max. Cubic Inch-350 &.030 over bore

Engine Block
-Completely stock
-No Grinding,relieving
-No coatings-internal or external
-No decking

Crankshaft
-Must remain completely stock
-Stroke must be 3.480
-No offset grinding
-Must be cast iron and weigh no less than 48lbs.
-OE manufacture(GM must show trademark & casting number)

Connecting Rods
-Must be GM original 5.700 length
-Press fit pins only

Pistons
-Cast aluminum only
-3 active rings per piston
-Flat top only with 4 valve reliefs
-No hypereutectic or forged pistons permitted
-Pistons must have full length skirts
-Piston deck height may not exceed .010 as measured at TDC

Cylinder Heads
-Cast iron,straight plug, open chamber
-No griding, porting acid etching, bowl work or flow improvements
-Combustion chamber minimum 76cc
-Flat milling not to excees .010
-Casting numbers must agree with valve size
-Maximum intake valve 1.94 diameter or less
-Maximum exhaust valve 1.5 diameter or less
-Valves must be stock length. No single groove stems
-Valve springs stock diameter. No conical/beehive design
-Stamped steel valve keys only
-Stock steel retainers. GM only-no aftermarket
-3/8 maximum diameter rocker studs/press type only
-No pinning allowed
-Stamped steel rocker arms, 1.5 ratio only, stock standard adjuster nuts only, no roller tips permitted

Push rods
-5/16 diameter stck length within .050 shorter or longer

Head Gaskets
-Minimum thickness compressed .040

Camshaft Drive
-Timing chain only. No gear or belt drive

Camshaft
-Hydraulic flat tappet
-Maximum intake lift .290 measured at tappet or push rod end
-Maximum exhaust lift .300 measured at tappet or push rod end

Lifters(Tappets)
-Hydraulic only .842 diameter

Oil pan
-Stock OE maximum 5 qt capacity
-No windage trays, scrapers, trap doors or added baffling

Intake Manifold
-Cast iron guadrajet only
-No porting, polishing, acid etching, relieving, etc.

Exhaust Manifold
-Stock cast iron
-No center dump or rams head style. No headers or individual tube style

Carburator
-Quadrajet only
-Completely stock
-No alterations except for removal of choke plate

Air Filter
-No aftermarket filter or containers permitted
-Must use stock stamp steel filter container with lid completely closed woth complete length snorkel
-No duct work to air inlet

Ignition
-Stock HEI only
-Stock module
-Stock advance curve
-Stock coil

pitbull113
11-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks EZ looks like they're trying to eliminate that gray area in the engine rules. :applause:

Bobby Pease
11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Im trying to figure out why its called the GRAND enduros? Is it the Hoosiers? Now that our motors are stocker than stock enduros? Also, I know that The Officials say we alway got what we asked for, BUT, I cant remember what we asked for and got? Hoosiers? Any way....dont go buying that motor Walter told us to buy just yet, the cam is not legal, he said buy the motor then change the cam..Lets see if he changes (cam rule) at least to match the crate motor..

BOBBY PEASE # 20 Grands.. :)

WEEZER
11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey Bobby, even though I was'nt there, I heard the main topic was "a level playing field" so with that said, how is the playing field level if you can choose between a stock 350 and a 350 .030" over? Of course the first choice would be a 355ci but poor guys like myself can hardly afford a "freshend up" stock motor. I'm not an engineer but I would think a car with equally talented drivers in identical cars, the one with a .030'' over motor would be faster? Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully somebody can tell me the difference, which my buddy K-MAC Electric racing brings up, how level is the playing field if a stock 350 motor is in a 77 monte at 3000lbs or whatever against a 87 monte with a 355 motor at 2700 lbs (I know the weight numbers are not accurate but you get my point) And after checking out a few websites selling chevy crate engines with the part number given at the meeting, the motor is not .030", so in order to get that, your talking another chunk of change on additional parts, something I did'nt "ASK FOR"

Bobby Pease
11-13-2006, 10:26 PM
LOL....Anthony, I really dont know what to say.. The motor we were TOLD to go out and buy for $2000.00 is not even legal. I will send you a PM

BOBBY Pease

ps..some people will not admit they are wrong..

K MAC 24
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
[COLOR=Navy]Engine rule.
I try to keep quiet about rules and just race. :) But enough is enough. I need to speak. Last year the track implied a tire rule. Hoosiers! The class went great. Some fast and some slower. Last year, stock appearing was the rule. With no practice and only 7 races a year it took me 2 seasons to get the car just right. One blown engine and numerous problems. Now, we have an engine rule. Enough is enough. :help:
Now let’s talk real rules. If I was the man, making the rules:
A vacuum rule- 14 inches?? :confused:
A compression rule- 185?? :confused:
A rear gear rule- 273?? :confused:
A weight rule- 3,800?? :confused:
Now, a class that has all these including the most important, the weight rule which I would recommend because the quote was “we need to make the field more competitive”. Let’s talk weight. A metric Monte weighs 1,000 pounds lighter than a full size early 77 Monte. To even the field, we need to have a weight rule! :mad: So, new rules???????? Different weights????????? Same motor?????? Same tires?????? Technical motor specs… for what????? A totally uneven field… that’s spent a lot of money this year, not the years past.With my rules ,all could be checked without a gasket,and so called even the feild. Is padding the pocket a new rule?
-Kevin McCarthy, 24 grand :cheers:
c ya at the muther :applause:

Bobby Pease
11-14-2006, 09:57 AM
OK, Tommy Just informed me that he was going to run the CHARGER division with his Blunderbust car..Then when he gets creamed out there, he will complain until the officials make the charger cars slow down to his pace.. Sound familiar?? Im pretty sure his point was, If you cant run, or are going to complain, just drop down a division? This is an awesome division, lets not let a few guys who want to run stock enduro cars, in a GRAND division ruin it!
Message from Tommy “The Wildchild” Walkowiak

posted by Bobby Pease :)

gzenduro12
11-14-2006, 11:54 AM
For me the most disappointing aspect of this situation is that we are now essentially a stock enduro on expensive tires. The new rules have forced this division to take a step backwards. Grands were created to put some distance between our cars and the stock 8s. There is no doubt that there are stock 8s who have engines worked far more than those proposed for our class.
Stock 8 drivers will find an old set of Hoosiers, put em on, weld up some roll bars and be cosidered a Grand. This will increase the # of competitors and we are right back where we started 4 years ago....Beating & Banging. No more 20-25 cars fields for the grands and no more bringing your car home with minimal to no damage.
Please, no complaining, the powers that be have spoken. You must either adjust or split......... :disgusted
Boys.........it was great while it lasted. Some classy guys with driving ability. :wave:
Z #12

nobandwagonhere
11-14-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess I should air out my 2 cents...for what its worth. I feel the Grands just got its knees knocked out from under it. I personally dont agree with the new rules. I watched the Grands evolve over the years, with intentions on building a car but never did.....for fear of something like this. We had cars ready for the Memorial day NEETS race that fit in the rules for the Grands so we figured we'd run. I LOVED IT! I think I got a 6th place out of it. So we decided to run the next one.....then ended up finishing out the season..(last race finishing 3rd). Its the same bunch of guys, same cars, and some great racing. Got to know a couple of the guys....some I havent seen in years and some I gained a new respect for. Its more than an Enduro, but not as much of a pain as the Blunderbust....Not to mention my Grand car is legal at other tracks (unlike some divisions). Now if I was to build a Grand car for next year...once again Im locked into running that car ONLY at Riverhead. Why bother? For 7 races? I dont know. Its nice to get a "thumbs up" or a "Great run" from guys Im running against. Greg Zaleski, John Cozza, Ray Fitzgerald, and even though we had our ups and downs Bobby Pease. It feels GREAT to shake any of these guys hands after a race and hear "that was great". I can remember a race that Bobby Pease won and was working on lapping me. He stayed behind me for about 3 or 4 laps dead on my bumper and not once did he try to knock me out of the way. He got by me with 2 to go and after the race pulled up next to me and said "THAT WAS GREAT!....I WAS FOLLOWING YOU TRYING TO PICK THE RIGHT LINE TO GET BY YOU". Thats racing. I wasnt holding him up or blocking him...and he wasnt bangin me to get by me. Its a mutual respect amongst drivers and that reason is why I kept running. Or Greg Zaleski after his win...."You ran me clean...I like that...Thank you". Or 1 of his 2nd place finishes he said "It felt good to see you in my mirror. Your getting better each week". Going 3 wide on the outside with Ray Fitzgerald right under me...NEVER TOUCHING!! I mean, the last race Bobby and were side by side...lap after lap....and correct me if Im wrong...but never touched! Never touched! Door to door! What other enduro class do you find that! These are only a few great racing memories I have with the Grands. I take that stuff to heart. Its going to be like an IROC race next year. Every car HAS to run a 350 (or 355). So now a guy like Greg Zaleski has to get MORE than just a motor. A guy like Anthony Forester who runs a 305 has to change his motor. I just think the whole motor rule killed the division. I feel it was a great division while it lasted. This is (was) a division that perfectly fit the guys running it. I think the last race Billy Deniston told the Grands...and I quote..."Im very happy with the Grands...you guys put on the best show..". OOOOKAAAY....so what changed? Whats the motive? Rich Johnson started a division that I feel was one of the best. I thank him, and the rest of the Grand drivers for accepting me in this year and for ALL...I MEAN ALL the great racing. Id hate to run the Grands again without the same bunch of guys. As a matter of fact....Im not sure I will. :disgusted

SEE everyone at the Mutha! :wave:

Golf Guy
11-14-2006, 10:49 PM
All I know is I was running the 4 cyl's for a couple of years and got tired of the demo action. Rich offered to build me a grand car and learn how to 'race', now the car he built me is no good? Though I have a lot to learn about racing in the grands, I really like the division and the cars the way we do it now. What ever happened to "if it's not broke don't fix it?"

pitbull113
11-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Well Golf Guy I guess enough people thought it was broken.

Bobby Pease
11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Mr Pitbull....

I dont know of any of us that thought is was broken?? (racers).. AND, if a few racers thought is was broken, there is always the STOCK 8's... Hey, Donny, that was a great post!! Thanks for the compliments! And yes, I do remember telling you that was a great race,,(IN the tech area)... I say frig it, lets build or keep our motors and run!! just skip tech! hey, $45.00 to race 40+ laps legally!! that rocks! We will just post the winners and finishing order here on the jam! LOL.....Cya'z soon....
BOBBY PEASE :wave:

pitbull113
11-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Maybe you guys weren't buying enough tires,so now they want to sell you engines.

art11758
11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Sounds like (to me anyways) a stock engine (bone yard refugee) with a good valve job and a "limited" camshaft will get it done. I'm sure tech will be a pain in the rear 'cus they are gonna want a head off now. Maybe they will seal it after you pass tech and save you the hassle next time. The weight thing has been the elephant in the room that has yet to be addressed. LEAVE IT ALONE. If you are happy with your GM ride continue to drive it. If you think there is an advantage to be gained elsewhere, build it. It seems to me that the more you publicly talk about something the quicker it gets "fixed".

good2go1963
11-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm with Bobby just run em and skip tech, hey I'll even sponsor the trophy and a picture with my digital for anyone who wins and skips tech! :wave: :applause: :applause:

richardpetey
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you guys just gotta stick together.................. ;)
I only make a few of the Grand races a year, but I really have fun running with you guys and its a great division....................... :applause:
You put on a terrific show and the fans love ya.................. :cool:
I know its the only game in town, but RH really takes advantage of your division, especially with unnecessary major yearly changes.................... :confused:
It seems like no matter what you do, you can't keep'em happy, especially in the tech area...................................... :eek:
I brought my NEETS car last race, which is basically bonestock (aftermarket safety equipment only allowed ) and the tech people still found things to whine about................................ :help:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, when I go to RH its to have fun and race with you guys, I don't pay any attention the the officials......................... :p
I rent the track for pleasure laps that day and after I get finished I put my car on the trailer and go home happy, doesn't matter whether I won or finished last.............................. ;)
The purse sucks, they make you use a track tire, you are not included in RH's other divisions( not even a little atta boy or trophys at their banquet) and now they wanna sell you a motor.................... :mad:
Since they are treating you like orphans, everybody should race their race, acknowledge the accomplishments of your peers and go home........... :)
When they give you some RESPECT you can reciprocate.................... :drool:
UNCLE PETEY.................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

deathwishracin1
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
so what, you cant run a ford? with possible sponsorship comming into play and a need for a parts car for my 74 torino (partly to replace a rusted roof... just swap them), that was my plan, but seems that now theres no point. (i HATE ford/chevy mixes even if it is legal) seems like they either want to do away with the grands or force people with money (or sponsors) to move up. either way i feel they just killed the whole point of the division.

nobandwagonhere
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
If ALL the Grand drivers stuck together....and went with the "Race for the DQ-Chase" plan...count me in!! :wave: LOL It'll give a whole new meaning to "Run Whutcha Brung"!! :applause: :wave:

pitbull113
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that if everybody bypasses tech the officials will start causing more grief for the drivers than they already have. JMO

racing#s
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
The grands are the best division in the Enduros. It's a shame it's almost becoming too much of a hassle to bother getting into it looking from the outside in. I feel bad for the guys who are already in the division that just simply can't afford to upgrade to what you are allowed to race as per the rules. The 'final' tech rule should be;.. if not one driver protests another, then everyone should skate through tech with just the basics checked, tires, etc. If each driver is cool with whatever the results are then so be it ? no ?

Bobby Pease
11-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Ya Know... Racing #s you are right...AND, I did not hear any *****ing after our races.. Im sure there were a few whiners, but with a STOCK appearing rule, if you dont like it, go to the stock 8's.... Why are they trying to kill such a good division? This is actually a step backwards! 2006, build the best stock appearing motor that you can, when the season is over, get complimented by the chief stewart! 2007, throw away those motors you built in 2006 and spend $2000+ to build a motor for 2007 !!!! :mad:

whatever....I'll park the grand if I have to!

BOBBY PEASE :wave:

ps..If they want to slow us down, take away the HOOSIERS!

vsmidge68
11-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok here's my opinion..........I say let the drivers have a meeting and choose who will bring trophies to each race, choose someone to do the points, (hint.hint Cin :wave: ) and have our own "club". Look at it this way.........no one is making any money from the so called purse anyway. ( I mean Donny finished 3rd and got a huge $65.00! hello.......) The purse doesn't cover the cost of gaskets and all to put the car back together if you get torn down so why bother? Look at it this way. It's like renting the track for $ 45.00 per person. I would hate to see the Grands go down like this.... As usual JMO. See ya @ the Mutha!!! :wave: