PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Derby '06

TMAC
11-27-2006, 12:44 PM
For those who missed it this year, it was a good one. The place was jam packed with some great weather, compared with the last few years. Congrats to Jimmy 'SHOWTIME' Blewett for the win and also to Les Hinckley Jr.[first timer at Turkey Derby] who ran second, but had a real strong ride, also to Donny Lia for third [I thought taking those 4 tires at the end was going to do the trick].

DAN D.
12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I saw the results and Sal Accardi Jr. came from the back up to i think 14th? nice run Sal.
i just checked Sal came in 12th Excellent run..

Wheel Racing
12-02-2006, 09:56 AM
A few thoughts on Turkey Derby '06:

-It is amazing how much harder and faster the local drivers get through 3 and 4
-Very entertaining day of racing (Saturday, I missed Friday).
-Maybe run Street Stocks earlier in day
-How many open wheel divisions could you possibly have?? (Tour Mod, SK, Sportsman, MAD Mods). I love Modifieds, but it would have been nice to see a Late Model equivalent instead of the Sportsman (they used to be Modern Stocks and then Pro Stocks. What happened?)
-Disappointing reaction to Showtime's win from the Hometown fans. Sure Hinckley put on a great show at the end, but Jimmy (who is officially now the winningest Blewett at Wall) deserved better than all the boo's.
-Can you believe how hard Jimmy and JB III ran each other? That was exciting racing.
-Kind of disappointed in Donny Lia. The group I sat with kept pointing out how he right turned the car on the outside of him on every re-start. I had to agree after watching it closer, maybe he had a push.
-Kenny Schrader was surprisingly smooth and only used his bumper once during the race. He may have won if he wasn't so patient. Very impressive to watch. He was also very funny and gracious in the autograph trailer. My only question is, did the "Mortgage Guy" have anything special signed??

Mortgage Guy
12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I actually had a huge picture frame with all photos of him from my 2002 visit to Dover that I had him sign, I also had him sign my Stars & Stripes diecast car that he ran right after 9/11 in 2001. He was as cool as always, a very kind person always happy to talk to the regular folks like us. I thought he also put on one hell of a show.