PDA

View Full Version : July 21 2007

IDRIVEALARGECAR
11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Why is the Tom Baldwin Memorial 77 now being called the Baldwin, Evans, Jarzombek Memorial? Why don't they just add some laps to the weekly shows and rename them after all the deceased drivers? Maybe that will bring in some crowds. There are for sure enough dates where they can do that. The car counts are at their lowest ever and they want to take and rename a race that started as a memorial for TB? Please, I mean no disrespect for Richie and CJ as I was a Fan of both of them and loved watching them race. But what about Harbach, Hendrickson, Anderson, Maynor, just mention a few, that helped pave the racing world on LI today? C'mon Riverhead, use your Head. Leave well enough alone and work on renaming some weekly races in honor of past racers and see what happens in the stands. JMO
Joey Colicchio
Denver, N.C.

hollywoodmic
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Joey, if you look at the past. Riverhead always had a race for Richie, and for Charlie. After doing it for some years they stopped Memorial races all together. What happened with the re-naming of this race was, that they wanted to pay tribute to three drivers who died doing what they loved doing, driving those racecars. They all lost there lives in the racecar. With that said, we all remember The Tiger. If you had the chance to ask him one more question, about who he loved to race with. His answer would be the two drivers that they will pay tribute to, with him on July 21st. Joey, you remember every one of Tommy's car had a 1 and a 61 on it, in the corners of the roof. He loved and missed those guys so much. I think it will be great to pay tribute to these 3 great people on one night. Just think how cool it would be if we can get all of their cars out there to see them run together one last time.

Steve Halpin

IDRIVEALARGECAR
12-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Steve,
You are so right, and well, I guess my loyalty to the man I cut my teeth racing with will always stay strong and true. But in all respect, yes that would be an honor to see the 3 restored old race cars of the 3 most dynamic racers ever to set foot in a race car. In a sense, I might have been off in posting that remark, but as always, it was just my opinion. I was always very fond of Ricky and the whole Jarzombek Family, as well as the Evans Family. I miss Tom, as I am sure you do, too.
Be well and have a great Holiday Season
Joey Colicchio
Denver, N.C.