PDA

View Full Version : COLD weather racing

Jones44
12-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Anyone want to share stories of sitting in the cold to watch the sport we all love? I remember one occasion, early-mid 90's, when George Brown convinced Allhailunc and I to come to Flemington one day in November to watch him race his modified. The track was selling tickets all in one section of the covered grandstand (trying to keep people together for "heat"? :lol: ), the wind turned the other way and it was horrible! Had to keep going back and forth to the men's room because it was the only warm spot on the property! What a day, right Allhail?

Mortgage Guy
12-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Turkey Derby about 4 years ago, It was so cold that we moved from our seats we had been in for over 20 years and went down to turn 1 which was near where the car was parked and in between races we would run out and sit in it to warm up. We even bought sweatshirts to tie around our faces to keep warm. At least we were still racing in November.

allhailunc
12-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Jones, my "cajones" still ain't unfrozen from that debaucle. I still wonder, though, how the guy we had to drive over there ever got home? :lol:

W. J.
12-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Anyone who attended the first RoC race at Pocono in 1977 might remember how cold it was. It had rained on both Saturday and Sunday, so both races were re-scheduled to Monday (Columbus Day). When we awoke at our (brrrr..) camp that morning, it was 28 degrees. The Late Model race ran at 9:30am, and those ALUMINUM seats were frosty, to say the least. To ward off the cold, we all sat wrapped in our sleeping bags over our heaviest Winter clothes, and it was actually a good thing to be sent out of the track for re-admission to the Mod race, as it was a chance to get the blood circulating again. We froze again through the Mod race, and the next day, I could not walk comfortably, having suffered mild frostbite on both feet, necessitating my 'calling in sick' to my job for 2 days.
Thank God the race was moved to September the following year. Of course, then they moved to Flemington all those years later, and one morning in '91 we woke up there to frost on the ground...but that's another tale for later. :lol:

Jaws
12-08-2006, 10:52 AM
October 1980, my first race at Oswego. I think it was a 100 lap night race the night before the Syracuse race.

We had a 3 hour snow delay. The race got over I think close to 1:30-2:00AM. Tom Baldwin was in that race.

Thank God for the heaters until they turned them off at about 11:00PM.

tstiles
12-08-2006, 11:01 AM
The radiator froze on my truck on the way up to Mountain last year. No antifreeze in it, thankfully it didn't freeze 100%.

Teds Race Tours
12-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyone want to share stories of sitting in the cold to watch the sport we all love? I remember one occasion, early-mid 90's, when George Brown convinced Allhailunc and I to come to Flemington one day in November to watch him race his modified. The track was selling tickets all in one section of the covered grandstand (trying to keep people together for "heat"? :lol: ), the wind turned the other way and it was horrible! Had to keep going back and forth to the men's room because it was the only warm spot on the property! What a day, right Allhail?

Yeah, that was November 7th + 8th, 1992. The race had been Hurricaned out in Sept, and the whole weekend had to be rescheduled. They also had a regular Saturday night card where the winner of the Street Stock race got the final spot of the Feature the next day, but I don't think many people stayed there into the evening as the afternoon races were cold enough. BRRRRRRR. Still get cold just thinking about it.

hollywoodmic
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't know how many times I was at Daytona during the day in shorts, and went straight to New Smyrna and froze my as* off. You think I would have learned the first time. I also went to one of the Oswego races in the early 90's and froze then as well. Also the 2004 Fall Final was a pretty cold affair, another deal when we bought sweatshirts and tied them around our face to stay warm.

W. J.
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Let's not forget ANY April opening night after sundown at Riverhead, LOL! :lol:

The Bullfather
12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Who could forget........................My toes are cold thinking about it!lol

rae234
12-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm thinkin' Turkey Derby last year was pretty darn cold! In between races we would go back to the trailer and stand in front of the heater.

BOWATCHER
12-08-2006, 07:11 PM
I can remember one ROC morning it was so cold we put the 4 tires on the grill.It wasn't cheatin it was HEATIN!!!! LOL

Drumz1959
12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
That was one cold night, Ted, I was camped outside turn one. That was rough in the grandstands for all 9 of us......I still remember passing the berries bottle around, lol.

richardpetey
12-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Last years Turkey Derby weather at Wall cracked a few blocks in the pits.............................. :eek:
My teeth were chattering so much I had to put in a spring rubber, hehe........................ :help:
UNCLE PETEY............... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Wheel Racing
12-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I seem to remember a few "World Series" at Thompson where it got so cold you couldn't wait for the season to end,yet you wouldn't leave a chance missing anything

W. J.
12-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I seem to remember a few "World Series" at Thompson where it got so cold you couldn't wait for the season to end,yet you wouldn't leave a chance missing anything
As badly as I wanted to see a Pro-stock/LM race one year, after they pushed it back to 8:30 PM or later, I left at 7:30, mostly because of cold, and needing to get home to go to work the next day. Thompsonhas done a great job in the last few years to get it all done a lot earlier than in the past. :)