PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Horn - Dec. 12

Dwight Clock
12-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Nice pics from those races. I attended in '93. IIRC Mike Tidaback won the TQ feature that night. It was a fun night. It was also the last time I saw Pappy Hough. :cheers:

310fig8
12-13-2006, 07:25 AM
I can't believe that I didn't know about the racing there or I would have been there for every show. I can't wait for the races in Atlantic City every year. There is something special about indoor racing. Does anyone have any pictures of the indoor races from the Island Garden Arena back in the 60s?
They ran there every Saturday night all winter long. Does anyone remember the races there?

randomrodder
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't believe that I didn't know about the racing there or I would have been there for every show. I can't wait for the races in Atlantic City every year. There is something special about indoor racing. Does anyone have any pictures of the indoor races from the Island Garden Arena back in the 60s?
They ran there every Saturday night all winter long. Does anyone remember the races there?

If you are talking about the old Long Island Arena in Commack, yes, I attended a number of races there. My eyes still smart. :lol:

310fig8
12-13-2006, 02:30 PM
No I am referring to the Island Garden Arena in Hempstead. I never had the pleasure of getting to the Commack Arena. Wish i did though.

chrome horn
12-13-2006, 02:53 PM
The New Haven races were pretty cool. I think one of the Fonoro's won the second year. I actually have video of the races somewhere. I used it as a school project. It's a shame they are tearing down the Coliseum.

LongIslandJam
12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I wish the Island Garden was still around, would be cool just walking to the races... If anybody has Island Garden footage, feel free to send it into jackley@longislandjam.com and we will post it:)

W. J.
12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
The only thing I ever attended at the old Island Garden was the boat shows. I heard about the races, but in a negative vein; hard to breathe, very noisy, etc., so I never bothered to go. Don't know if I missed something good or not.

LongIslandJam
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Cmon' enduring fumes and noise to see Mario Andretti win would have been awesome and worth it! :-B :applause:

btgoss
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have more pictures of the Trophy girl... you know the one...

Oo-Fah!! Hubba Hubba... and if that is someone's mom.. then your Mom's a MILF. LOL

Seriously. Excellent pictures, I wish I could have gone. There are places out West where they are running full sized cars in-doors, that must be cool.

Dwight Clock
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I attended several shows at the Island Gardens. It was a great place to spend a winter Saturday night. My ride to there from Bay Shore was the back of Harry Hebenstreit's Ford pickup! I'd freeze my butt off but it was worth it! The great thing about those races was that the L.I. stock car guys would mix it up with the ARDC guys and the TQ regulars. Al DeAngelo, Jim Hendrickson, and Jim Lacy were regulars. Every now and then they would have to open the big garage door at the west end to air the place out. They still ran castor oil in those days and it could get to you. The Island Gardens was the first place I saw Mario Andretti race. Great memories.