PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Mod Tour schedule

chrome horn
12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Schedule Blends Tradition With Innovation In 2007
* New Tracks: Twin State, Wall Township and Mansfield Speedways Added to 2007 Slate
* New Format: Qualifying Races Scheduled at Wall Township, Twin State and Riverhead
* Saturdays at NHIS: Open Wheel Excitement on Two NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series Weekends

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Dec. 14, 2006) – Long-time racing traditions share space on the calendar with new events, as the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour is set for a strong 2007 season.

The schedule begins with Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway’s annual “Icebreaker” event on Sun., April 15. The Icebreaker is the first of 16 championship points races planned in 2007. Another New England racing custom, the “Spring Sizzler” at Stafford Motor Speedway, in Stafford Springs, Conn., is set for Sun., April 29.

Following the Spring Sizzler at Stafford, three of the next six events will feature a new three-part “Flash” format. Those events include a trip to Wall Township (N.J.) Speedway on Sun., May 6, for what is being touted as “Thunder at the Shore,” and a mid-summer Sunday afternoon event at Twin State Speedway, in Claremont, N.H., on July 8. With this event, Twin State returns to the schedule for the first time since 1985. The third of these three special events will be held at Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway, on Sat., Aug. 4.

The “Flash” events will include twin qualifying races – one for the even-numbered drivers in the point standings and one for odd-numbered drivers in the standings – in place of traditional time trials. The top finishers from each qualifying race will transfer into a feature event, in which the main prize money and championship points will be awarded. Starting positions for the feature events will be based on finishing positions of the qualifying races, with the drivers from the faster of the two races lined up on the inside row.

The qualifying races and feature events at Wall and Twin State will be 50 laps each, while the “Flash” event at Riverhead is scheduled to include twin 60-lap qualifying races and a 70-lap feature event.

“The 2007 Whelen Modified Tour schedule will bring new excitement and generate new interest in what is already one of NASCAR’s most popular and historic touring series,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR’s managing director of racing operations. “The teams and drivers on the Whelen Modified Tour produce some of the best racing in our entire sport and this schedule is designed to showcase what NASCAR Modified racing is all about – incredible racing with incredible machines.

“Long-time fans and new fans alike will find plenty of opportunities to see the Whelen Modified Tour at its very best.”

A top executive from Connecticut-based Whelen Engineering, title sponsor of the Tour since 2005, echoed Silbermann’s sentiments.

“I can’t tell you how pleased we are to be part of the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour during this exciting time,” said Phil Kurze, vice president of motorsports for Whelen Engineering. “The 2007 schedule presents the Whelen Modified Tour to fans in new and exciting ways, while also respecting and continuing many of the longstanding traditions that make Modified racing unique.”

Other 2007 schedule highlights include:

* In between these innovative “Flash” events, the Whelen Modified Tour makes return visits to Stafford on Fri., May 25, and Thompson on Thurs., June 21, along with the first of two stops at the 1.058-mile New Hampshire International Speedway (NHIS), in Loudon, N.H., on Sat., June 30.

* Both events at NHIS will be held in conjunction with the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, offering up-and-coming Modified drivers the opportunity to showcase their skills before NASCAR NEXTEL Cup teams and sponsors – and providing an exciting open-wheel racing experience for NHIS fans on Saturday afternoons.

* After the final “Flash” event at Riverhead, the schedule continues Fri., Aug. 10, at Stafford, and Thurs., Aug. 16, at Thompson, before heading to another new venue: Mansfield (Ohio) Motorsports Speedway on Sat., Aug. 25.

* The Mansfield event will be held in conjunction with the NASCAR Grand National Division, Busch East Series in an exciting Saturday afternoon NASCAR doubleheader at one of the nation’s premier state-of-the-art short tracks.

* The Whelen Modified Tour travels to Martinsville (Va.) Speedway on Labor Day weekend, for a combination event that includes the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour for a third consecutive year.

* The schedule concludes with return visits to Thompson on Sun., Sept. 9; NHIS on Sat., Sept. 15; Stafford on Sun., Sept. 30; and the traditional season finale at Thompson, on Sun., Oct. 14.

The Whelen Modified Tour features lightweight, open-wheeled racing machines that have been part of NASCAR since its first season in 1948. Throughout its storied history, the NASCAR Modified division has proven to be a tremendous training and developmental program for future stars. Todd Bodine, the 2006 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion, began his career in the Modified division along with his racing brothers, Geoff and Brett Bodine. Drivers Jimmy Spencer, Mike McLaughlin and Steve Park also began their careers in the Modifieds, along with NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series crew chiefs Greg Zipadelli and Tommy Baldwin Jr.

In 2006, Mike Stefanik made history by winning his seventh Whelen Modified Tour championship. Combined with his two previous NASCAR Grand National Division, Busch East Series titles, Stefanik’s accomplishment tied him with another Modified legend and nine-time NASCAR champion, Richie Evans, as NASCAR’s all-time championship leader.

For more information, contact:
Jeremy Davidson, NASCAR Public Relations, (386) 681-4173 or jdavidson@nascar.com

2007 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Schedule

Sun., April 15 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
Sun., April 29 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
Sun., May 6 – Wall Township (N.J.) Speedway*
Fri., May 25 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
Thurs., June 21 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
Sat., June 30 – New Hampshire International Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
Sun., July 8 – Twin State Speedway, Claremont, N.H.*
Sat., Aug. 4 – Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway**
Fri., Aug. 10 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
Thurs., Aug. 16 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
Sat., Aug. 25 – Mansfield (Ohio) Motorsports Speedway
Sat., Sept. 1 – Martinsville (Va.) Speedway ***
Sun., Sept. 9 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway
Sat., Sept. 15 – New Hampshire International Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
Sun., Sept. 30 – Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs, Conn.
Sun., Oct. 14 – Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway

Fri.-Sat., Oct. 19-20 – “Save the date”

* = “Flash” event featuring twin 50s qualifying format and 50-lap feature race

** = “Flash” event featuring twin 60s qualifying format and 70-lap feature race

*** = Combination event with NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE – SUBJECT TO CHANGE

310fig8
12-14-2006, 01:08 PM
The "Flash" event looks very exciting and different. The question I have about that is, what happens to the locals that are not in the "point standings"? Do they get a chance to qualify and if so how? :confused:

Jaws
12-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I would guess they are at the back of the field.

Mike Fields
12-14-2006, 01:53 PM
As I understand it, they will pick for starting positions as they come through the back gate.

The Bullfather
12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm 2 quailying races? What if there are more cars then two races? I'm kinda excited about this, we get to see more mods involved and more action in the 2 races for the feature, if I read it right. lol

W. J.
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
It should definitely make for a more interesting series of events for short track qualification on the WMT. Maybe more locals will try to qualify and run WMT races on off dates just to keep in the top 40 in points? They have at least 2 races to try for (Ice Breaker & Spring Sizzler) before Riverhead's regular season starts.

Tower Man
12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."

KyleMac45
12-14-2006, 06:16 PM
THAT IS A GOOD IDEA... IT GIVES FOR MORE EXCITeMENT AND BETTER FINISHES... ALSO, SO THAT MEANS NO MORE QUALIFYING 2 LAPS- JusT THESE 50 OR 60 LAP RACES???

GREG MCGOWAN WALL SPEEDWAY ASST. STARTER

chrome horn
12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
THAT IS A GOOD IDEA... IT GIVES FOR MORE EXCITeMENT AND BETTER FINISHES... ALSO, SO THAT MEANS NO MORE QUALIFYING 2 LAPS- JusT THESE 50 OR 60 LAP RACES???

GREG MCGOWAN WALL SPEEDWAY ASST. STARTER

For the three races. I'm sure more info will be available Saturday night

Wheel Racing
12-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I love this format!! Nice

Jones44
12-15-2006, 05:50 AM
50-60 lap qualifying races could be interesting (even though I personally prefer watching time trials rather than heats), but only a 70 lap feature for the WMT? I'll spend my entertainment dollar elsewhere that night (and yes, I would have considered attending if the feature was 150-200). :disgusted

Tower Man
12-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Jonesey, I was looking forward to seeing you that day too. Oh well, we can't please them all. But I'll tell you, the last race ran half the laps under caution and no one really raced until the last 25 - 30 laps.

An old friend once told me, "It's okay to try something different. You can always go back to the old way if it doesn't work".

310fig8
12-15-2006, 07:29 AM
In this format will yellow flag laps count?????

Jaws
12-15-2006, 09:23 AM
No matter what the format we all need to be there if we want tour races in the future.

I can't wait.

And the rumor still is the October TBA race is California.

catfish
12-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't see that it would be possible to count cautions in a feature that short

W. J.
12-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I agree, it would be better as a 70 lap, all green flag feature. Jones44, you didn't come to the last one either, right?

TMAC
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree with Jaws, we need a good showing for this race [Riverhead]. I think this is going to really be something and the pressure just to get into the show[with most of the locals hopefully giving it a shot] will be tremendous. Myself, I can't wait and glad it's on schedule for 2007. Also that Wall race should a good one, too...

Jones44
12-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Tower Man, I'd prefer to watch a parade of (counted) caution laps than a non-caution lap counted wreckfest. Of course, if the racing is good and clean, there goes that theory LOL.

Golf Guy
12-15-2006, 05:03 PM
I have circled the date and I will be there. I think this will be very cool.

BOWATCHER
12-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Looks like 3 sets of tour tires for the days activities + all the add on costs of just being Tour legal is a pretty big expense. But I hope most of OUR LOCALS who try that day succeed at what they're doing. I think it is a great new idea to add excitement to what has been dubbed a boring race. I also think being under the microscope for 2 time trial laps is pretty tough on a local. They can now show boat 60 laps of passing some mid pack and lower pack Tour regulars to qualify. Quite honestly, the heat concept could be more fun to watch than the feature. JMO.

The Bullfather
12-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Quick question, Jones how many races did you attend this year? Not trying to be or sound mean, but, I thought you stopped supporting the track a year or so ago with your dad. Not supporting the track doesn't mean you don't support Long Island racers to be fair.

Teds Race Tours
12-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Looks like 3 sets of tour tires for the days activities + all the add on costs of just being Tour legal is a pretty big expense. But I hope most of OUR LOCALS who try that day succeed at what they're doing. I think it is a great new idea to add excitement to what has been dubbed a boring race. I also think being under the microscope for 2 time trial laps is pretty tough on a local. They can now show boat 60 laps of passing some mid pack and lower pack Tour regulars to qualify. Quite honestly, the heat concept could be more fun to watch than the feature. JMO.

Have they announced a tire rule on these races?

Tower Man
12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Bowatcher, did things change? I thought the Riverhead modifieds followed Tour rules? I know when I inspect the cars from Riverhead, I accept the Riverhead fuel cell seals. The measurements are spelled out in the NASCAR rule book. Anything else has to do with safety. So what additional cost are incurred?

Ace
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
The new format with the 2 heat races is a great idea from a fan's side but from OUR LOCALS side I would think not so good. A few years ago the tour took away Riverhead regular provisionals, now this year if they want to race they have to start from 16th-20th in the heat race. Who knows the number the tour will take from each heat, maybe the top 10 or 11. That leaves 6 to 8 provisionals for the tour. Whatever it is the Riverhead guys will be starting mid pack with no chance of contending for a win.

W. J.
12-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I disagree. While they may start with a disadvantage, it is a 60 lap race, enough time to make a good showing if they're patient, smart and lucky.
This is all being said without actual knowledge of exactly what the qualifying procedure will be. But remember this: some of the WMT drivers don't like coming to Riverhead because the local drivers are so good it may mean the Tour guys won't qualify! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Ace
12-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Last year out of the 10 Riverhead regulars that attempted to qualify ONLY 2 didn't. Throw in Hartmann and Tyler both who ran some of the tour last year than you have 10 who made the race last year. I doubt 10 out 12 make it in the show in '07.

Tower Man
12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Had a conversation with a few drivers from the tour this week end. They seem to think the majority of the Riverhead mods will attempt this show because of the heat race format.

No other info was available as to how many will start, how many from each heat or provisionals.

So let's say we have the same as last year, I think it was 48 cars, plus two more making it 50. That would put 25 cars in each heat, only speculating here, so don't go telling your friends, "Tower Man said this and Tower Man said that...", to race 60 laps. That's like a feature. Cars will wreck, tires will go flat and black flags will fly for "rough riding". So the locals have just a good a shot at the regular tour drivers.

Now I'm still waiting for an explanation as to what costly changes the locals will have to make to be legal.

The Bullfather
12-20-2006, 09:46 PM
yeah a rain date :) :drool: :D no rain outs :help:

Teds Race Tours
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Tower Man said there'd be wrecks and flat tires and Black Flags.

Sorry Tower, I had to.

Tower, as soon as you hear something on how the cars will be lined up for each heat, please let us know. I know speculation has been by points, but until something gets put down in Black and White, we'll all be wondering.
Thanks.

The Bullfather
12-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Black and White you know the finish already too?

Tower Man
12-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Totally unofficial here. However, I think the top 10 in points will draw out of a hat first. Then everyone else. Yes out of a hat, or the tin can. Details have not been worked out and that is all I can say at this time.

Could change.

Ace
12-22-2006, 08:01 AM
If that happens Tower Man, or anything similiar to how they will line up in the heat, then I must say the LOCALS will have a legitimate chance to take down a win. It sure beats lining up by points and having the LOCALS start last in the heats. Here's to the TOUR. :cheers: :applause:

btgoss
12-22-2006, 10:07 AM
I think all of the concerns for this Flash format have been brought up in this thread.

How many cars show up? You need at least 48 cars for it to be interesting. I only attended one tour race last year, but I do not recall 48 cars. Does someone have the real number?

Where do these cars come from? Again, from my one tour race last year, and as has been mentioned in this thread, will the locals support the race? That is a lot of racing for one night, right in the middle of the season, against guys who most likely spend/prepare more... can you blame them for parking the car that night?

Then that line-up. Pulling numbers sounds like a good idea, but I have to doubt it. I think we are going to see a heads up start, 50-50 in each race, with any locals being broken up the same way based on track points. So. This makes taking in a tour race or two BEFORE Riverhead an appealing thing for a local, you get points for just being there, you could help your home track advantage with a qualifying attempt at Stafford or Thompson to start the year. Just a thought.

I really wish we could just go with a World of Outlaws style for our events. But I know that is not going to happen.

W. J.
12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
My car count at the 2006 WMT race at Riverhead was 46 Modifieds. If anyone feels that 2 60 lap/23 cars heat races isn't going to be exciting, then by all means, find something else to do that night. I'll be at Riverhead.

LongIslandJam
12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I got to say the format is a hell of lot more exciting than bland time trials (sorry Jones, I'll know you'll disagree with me on this) and a 200 lap follow the leader race.

Now its going to be racy throughout heats and the shortened race, and that's how I like it;)

I think this is going to pave the way for our Riverhead regulars, as they are used to short distances and should be able to show what they got this year:)

Thumbs up! :applause:

btgoss
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I guess we could go as low as 40 cars... if they are good cars... and it will still be interesting... I am just very cynical about this format... seems like smoke and mirrors...

The pointer sister's get broken up into two races, they start straight up, and the locals have to work through them to get to the front... No matter how you look at it this is a better deal for the tour guys... they stand a much better chance of running away and hiding from the locals with this setup...

I still say the best thing is time trials, and 3 mains, c,b, and a. Just like the outlaws... the A main is 50 laps. The c is 25, the b is 30. Now that would be fun. Lock the top 10 from time trials in, but have a trophy dash for starting position... that would rock...

W. J.
12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but if done like the Outlaws, the A-Main would go off in front of empty stands around midnight, A.) because it takes so long to run the other events, B.) Because everyone knows the polesitter in the A-Main is going to win the race over 95% of the time, so why bother to stay up late? Talk about long, drawn out events!

btgoss
12-22-2006, 01:55 PM
That is the rub isn't it... the polesitter winning the race most of the time (I'm looking at you Riverhead Handicapping system.) More often than not, if a fast car starts up front, it is going to finish up front. That is the whole point of these "flash" events.

For the tracks that are "undesirable", you get as many of "your" guys away from the "rabble" as possible. This is the format... again, I am being a cynic for purposes of having a discussion. I think in modern times there isn't much that can be done that is going to give us a fair race for the tour guys and the locals... but since there are very few locals, I guess it doesn't matter in the big picture.

This could be a very big year for the Modifieds. Nascar appears to be placing some juice behind the class, and the Toyota Challenge should be huge, but it looks to me that Nascar is trying to make too many people happy with this deal. I'll still be there to see it... but I just don't see what they are going for...

It sounds like they want to cut the races shorter at the bullrings... well this is still over 100 laps of racing, that isn't such a cut... So then the next thing is they want the car counts up, but they are not really giving the local guys a shot... I just don't get it...

The Bullfather
12-22-2006, 04:53 PM
I hear your complaint Boss, but this is the best of the best of the modified tours out there. Most drivers pick WMT over RoC and TVMS, it the challenge and exposure it gets. For one night a year we get them out to Riverhead. This is going to be exciting racing and the cream always rises to the top. We have good modifed drivers on Long Island, some raced or are racing on the tour. Who knows Riverhead better in short distance races? Our guys. But I get to see real racing, 2 heat races that almost all out and 70 laps of feature, that just might be go for the goal or relax and let the rest of them wreck! lol It going to be a great night, one night this year at Riverhead.

BOWATCHER
12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I just hope they let everyone who makes the feature use new tires and not stay on the same rubber after the heats. Another problem I see possibly is impounding after the heats? The first heat squad could have 60 laps to work on their cars. I hope it all works out.

W. J.
12-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I just hope they let everyone who makes the feature use new tires and not stay on the same rubber after the heats. Another problem I see possibly is impounding after the heats? The first heat squad could have 60 laps to work on their cars. I hope it all works out.
Not to mention that impounding would give an advantage to 'heat cycling' the tires to the cars in the first heat race!

Mod134
12-29-2006, 10:59 AM
I read earlier today on the NASCAR DWS site that both Spencer and Chemung will be a part of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series in 2007. Perhaps John White's tracks could run a WMT race next year? :) :cheers:

TruValueRacer
01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Bowatcher, what's the big deal if they start the feature on 60 lap tires? The feature is only 70 laps. Now add that to 60 laps you get 130 laps. The features are usually 200 laps and they don't come in for tires, do they?? No they don't, plus it will be more in the driver's hands, plus it would be more affordable for everyone. Just my opinion. Quit giving them new rubber, let them run on the used tires. Wanna see the tour grow even more and get more cars, have a limit on how many tires a race. If the TrueValue and ROC series can do it, why can't the biggest tour do it??? TrueValue does 12 heat race laps, then a 100 lap feature; all green flag laps, no cautions. Meanwhile, on the tour, hard laps, but cautions count, so 200 lap feature at Riverhead, 70 laps worth of caution laps thats only 130 hard laps on the tires. Run a 150 feature at Thompson, get 20 caution laps, that's 130 laps, plus they pit for tires, so there's no way the teams have to be buying so many sets of tires. So plain and simple, limit the sets of tires so they can run 130 laps on a set of tires. I say start 'em with 60 laps on the tires!

BOWATCHER
01-05-2007, 06:35 PM
TVR
I understand where your coming from with your tire curfew. I simply think that it would be another boring race. My reasons for that are If they use the same tire it will become a mirror driving/points chasing fiasco. Being that a Tour tire is much different than the Sat. night special tire, it will require adjustments all day. With that being said, quite frankly, anyone hanging on, whether it be a reg. or a tour, for those last spots, will definitely welcome fresh rubber to make it an all out exciting night from the front row all the way to the back row. JMO!

Tower Man
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Many of the tour races have a tire limit. In some instances there is a zero tire rule. In that case they get flats and bouncers at the discretion of the official in charge. Riverhead was alweays a zero tire race, unless they were flat.

The fans will see 190 laps of racing 2 @ 60 and one @ 70. Anything can happen in 60 laps. It will look like the old Blunderbust heat races. Survival of the fittest.

btgoss
01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
I think the blunderbust analogy is right on... these are going to be pretty much crashfests... I hope I am wrong... but starting guys straight up based on points... locals (those who show will be the fast ones) in the back, not too many laps to get to the front... that is the exact formula for a crashfest... which is why the tour people don't like coming to Riverhead in the first place.

So, while I am going to be there, and we will have already seen at least one Flash event before Riverhead, I fear this race type is going to be a one year deal.

hollywoodmic
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I said this on MSS : bt where does it say in the press release that they were going to start these races based on Tour points??? All it says is that the even numbered drivers in the points will start in one heat race and the odd numbered drivers will start in the other. That is the only thing that has been mentioned about points. I have not read anything about starting positions being determined by points. If they do it that way, tour guys 1st, then regulars, I see your argument. I just have not seen that in print anywhere.

btgoss
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I will get the paper from my father tonight.. but in Area (I think) in the article covering the banquet...it was said that they are going to line them straight up, based on points, odd versus evens... but seriously, this shouldn't be too hard to accept. We are already starting them on time straight up... why not points? Which we would do if it was a rain shortened race...

W. J.
01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Perhaps TowerMan can jump in here and get us a definitive answer?

RGeeProductions
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
It's a 60 lap race, not a 35 lap feature. Keep that in mind here.

Tower Man
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
The point standings will only determine picking order.

W. J.
01-09-2007, 06:45 AM
The point standings will only determine picking order.
Thank you, kind sir.

Tower Man
01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Anything for you W.J.

btgoss
01-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I hope this is the case. In a recent Area Auto Racing news Lenny Sammons printed that it will be a head's up start based on points...

But as you have said.. it's a long race, anything could happen.