PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hamilton Sr. Passes

AnneMarie
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
NASCAR's Bobby Hamilton dies of cancer
TERESA M. WALKER
Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Bobby Hamilton, the longtime NASCAR driver who won the 2001 Talladega 500 and was the 2004 Craftsman Truck Series champion, died Sunday of cancer, said Liz Allison, a family friend who co-hosted a radio show with Hamilton. He was 49.

Hamilton was at home with his family when he died, said Allison, the widow of former NASCAR star Davey Allison.

Hamilton was diagnosed with head and neck cancer in February. A malignant growth was found when swelling from dental surgery did not go down.

He raced in the season's first three events, with a best finish of 14th at Atlanta Motor Speedway, before turning over the wheel to his son, Bobby Hamilton Jr. The senior Hamilton then started chemotherapy and radiation treatment.

By August, he had returned to work at Bobby Hamilton Racing in Mount Juliet, about 20 miles east of Nashville, and doctors indicated his CAT scans looked good. But microscopic cancer cells remained on the right side of his neck.

"Cancer is an ongoing battle, and once you are diagnosed you always live with the thought of the disease in your body," Hamilton said in an article posted on NASCAR's Web site last month. "It is the worst thing you could ever imagine."

Hamilton, born in Nashville in 1957, drove in all of NASCAR's top three divisions, making 371 starts and winning four times in what is now the Nextel Cup series. He won 10 truck races and one Busch Series race.

"I love what I do; I love this business," he said in March 2006 when he disclosed that he had cancer. "NASCAR has been good to me, and I just don't feel comfortable when I am not around it."

Hamilton's Nextel Cup wins, in addition to Talladega, came at Phoenix, Rockingham and Martinsville. His best season was in 1996 when he finished ninth in the points standings. He won his first Cup race that year, at Phoenix.

Hamilton drove in the top-level NASCAR series from 1989-05, earning $14.3 million and racing to 20 top-five finishes.

He became a full-time driver-owner in the truck series in 2003.

Another NASCAR favorite, 1973 Winston Cup champion Benny Parsons, was diagnosed with cancer in his left lung in July. He was checked into intensive care last week at a North Carolina hospital.

W. J.
01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
What truly sad news, for a time it sounded like he would be okay. He was way too young to go, but I guess he's out of pain now, and gone to a better place.

richardpetey
01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Bobby Hamilton was one of the most under rated and under financed drivers in NASCAR................... :disgusted
I jumped on his bandwagon when he started driving for the "KING"....................... :cool:
I listened and watched him win a truck race at Daytona while directing his pit crew and his second trucks racing and pit strategy from his radio in the truck, simply amazing ......................... :applause:
UNCLE PETEY................. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Rubbin&Racin
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Truly a sad day for the Hamilton Family and our Nascar Family as well. We send our condolences and prayers to Bobby's family, sorry for your loss, we truly lost another great man,God Speed.
Andy & Jo-
LM #84

btgoss
01-08-2007, 04:33 PM
It was a bummer to hear this news. Although I had a feeling that this was coming, having heard news that he was searching out new treatments... this is one of the signs that things are going badly... I live with survivor's guilt all the time, and at times like this it flairs up again... but then I think of the fact that I was given a chance to keep going, and to spend time with my wife and son, and I get over it... although I drive by a friends grave everyday it is never easy to hear news like this...

DAN D.
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
THaT MAN REALLY KNOWED HOW TO RUN A TRUCK AND A CAR FOR THAT MATTER. SAD, SAD NEWS WITH A VERY QUICK PROGRESSION.