PDA

View Full Version : From Gary Dankos The Speedway Line Report

Howie
01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
CLEANING HOUSE IN DAYTONA
A lot of people wait until Spring before doing house cleaning but the good folks at Daytona Beach's NASCAR headquarters figured January is as good a month as any as they fired four employees connected with the weekly racing series and the regional tours. Jason Bates, Laura Willis, Al Robinson and Jeremy Davidson all found pink slips in their pay stubs after being notified that their services were no longer wanted.

NASCAR said all left to pursue other opportunities. Boy that's a shocker. Laura Willis was the one person who knew the short tracks and touring series like the back of her hand while Al Robinson, the Busch East media coordinator has forgotten more racing than all of the high priced bell hops in Daytona ever knew.

Jeremy Davidson came to NASCAR after breaking into the public relations department at the Riverside Park Speedway and then worked as PR rep for a Craftsman Truck team before heading to Daytona.

I contacted Herb Branham, still working in the NASCAR PR department by email and asked what this means for the weekly series of NASCAR as well as the touring series. He responded that they are reorganizing but that they are not de-emphasizing the weekly or regional PR efforts.
A good source, who once was connected with NASCAR, told me that within five years, that NASCAR will be out of the short track weekly series as well as the regional touring series and that sentiment has been echoed by other NASCAR insiders.

NASCAR can say all they want about the "resignations", but these people were fired. There are a few at Daytona who should get the ax, but they still remain.

The Speedway Line Report (http://www.modifieds.net/modtourreport/)

Mike Fields
01-25-2007, 05:28 PM
All I can say is--- something that I can't write here. It's completely unbelievable that Al and Jeremy have been "downsized"!

As far as NASCAR ducking out of the weekly series, if that's true, I guess that ASA will be doing a land-office business in a couple of years sanctioning tracks.

CTScribe
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
It seems there is a certain amount of ..the changing of the guard every year. However, the exit or dismissal of Jeremy Davidson and Al Robinson is really hard to rationalize. Jeremy did a great job, he was easy to contact and would return calls, and treated everyone well.

Jeremy Davidson will land a great job somewhere in racing if he wants. He has a tremendous amount marketing and corporate branding experience. I wish Jeremy well.

Al Robinson is a walking encyclopedia of racing knowledge; he knows more about East Series and competitors than almost anyone.

Al's departure from NASCAR will be difficult many for the of us who had the pleasure of working with him.

The Mini Media in the East Series will have plenty of Al Robinson stories to keep Al firmly embedded in our minds.

To Jeremy and Al, I wish you good luck.

Thanks,
Dave Meredith

Busch East Scene
Modified Division