PDA

View Full Version : Your first race...

Axel
01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
What are your recollections of your first race or first few races? Where was it? What do you remember of it? What made it such an impactful experience?

My story is this… I lived near Flemington as a kid and I would always hear the races on Saturday nights. One of my neighbors was really into racing (they owned a rooster named Ploski) and they took me once. I can't remember if that was first, or my father taking me was first. It was probably 1974 or 1975.

I was into Indy Cars as a little kid. My mom was from Indiana and Indy cars were the only kind of racing I knew of. I remember going to Flemington Speedway the first time and being a little disappointed. The cars were not as slick as the cars at the Indy 500. Plus they drove on dirt, not asphalt. The cars were beat up and dented? And many of them were really old-fashioned looking (they were the coupes and coaches). What was this, I thought?

But even though I was disappointed, I was thrilled at the same time, and after subsequent trips, I really began to follow the drivers. My buddy, Joey Kennedy, was a big Ploski fan, but I liked the #10 Gremlin of Ray Liss. One definitive memory I have of the first race I was at with my dad was we sat in the short shoot between turns 1 and 2. Once I was over my initial disappointment, I remember being addicted to racing. Subsequent visits simply grew my passion for racing higher. I really got into it, used to get AARN at the Higgins Newsstand on Main St. and follow what was happening and stare at the wreck pictures.

W. J.
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Ah mine's sort of easy. I went to Freeport sporadically as a kid, 1 or 2 times a year if I could catch a ride. But when I moved into my house in 1973, one Saturday I was asked if I'd be interested in going to the races at Islip. I went that night, mid season, July I think, and never missed a Saturday night race since without a VERY good reason. What caught me was simple; from my trips to Freeport, the cars were old jalopies and spun way too often. At Islip, there were Vega's, Pinto's and Gremlin's, all sleekly decked out with lots of chrome, and faster than I ever remember seeing Modifieds do a lap. That's all it took....

Tooner
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Wall Stadium, early 70's.

First race we went to, I remember Gil Hearne in a red and gold #9 with injectors blasting off the corners, I've been hooked ever since!

gnatt66
01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Claremont Speedway some time in 82.

We had just moved from Hollywood Florida (near Miami) to Claremont, NH...(dont ask). I was 10 and my uncle wanted to show us what everyone did on Sat nights. I remember liking the races, but as my parents could care less, I didn't go back until I was 18.

LongIslandJam
01-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I stumbled upon it at the age of 12... My father, my grandfather, and I went grocery shopping up in Elmira, NY and we saw these cars with decals on them. Upon further investigation, they were racecars (Winston Cup)! I watched the Glen race on TV and I was hooked! I would go every year, and then I told my father I just wanted to check out a Riverhead once, then once grew to twice, then to the biggest lie I told my father. LOL :D

Jaws
01-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Had to be about 1968 or 1969 at Riverhead.

A few laps into the race a huge rain shower kicked in and there was about a 15 car pile up on the front straight. Coupes and coaches all over the place!!!

Linda
01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Stafford, early 60's with the coupes when it was a dirt track. We lived next to the track before we moved when I was 7. My dad worked on one of the race cars and he knew Rene Charland, Ernie Gahan and Ed Flemke. He says he can remember Rene with his cigars. Back then if you wrecked the car you could go to the junk yard to get some parts. I also remember hearing the races while I was trying to sleep when my mom didn't go and we stayed home. It was a big thrill for my brother and I when we did go watch the races.

Precision Auto
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
1977 - Riverside Park Speedway in Agawam, Massachusetts. I went with two friends of mine and was in total awe watching the races unfold. At that time there were no women in the pits, so we were in the grandstands during the 1977 and 1978 season.

As I recall, we were partaking in a beer or two!, standing above the top row of seats in turns 1 and 2. We had picked out a car to win (I can't remember which driver), and got so excited when he started passing cars that I threw my beer in the air..........it landed on the three guys sitting in the seats directly in front of us! I figured I was doomed.

Not so........I went to The Park from 1977 until it closed, never missed one Saturday night's race, and sat with the same three guys who were baptized by my beer. Great people.........

Axel: Thanks for starting this thread, brings back lots of memories. Linda

Howie
01-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Don't remember the year, but Ben Hur won.

OK, Probably mid 50's on the dirt at Stafford. It was the fair weekend, an afternoon show, probably what is the Fall Final now. I wasn't old enough to drive, but went with my brother and his friends. Only thing I remember was someone flipping over the wall in the first turn and knocking a light pole down. Guess it peaked my interest, I have been to a lot of races there and elsewhere since then.

JED
01-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Like Linda, I too was raised in Stafford. I also remember hearing the races as a kid. The first visit to the track I can't remember though. It just was always there. I do remember races, maybe before the track ran regularly, during the old Stafford Fair. I can remember the old coverd grandstands also.
The early sixties with Slater, Bergin, Janowski and the names mentioned by Linda were my first regular visits. They ran the Sportsman and Modifides together then.
The M3 was housed in Staffordville in a small garage owned by, I believe, a Harvey Smith. We would hang out there looking at the car talking to the guys working on it.
The good times we had.

BlingxBling
01-26-2007, 11:53 PM
It was back in the summer of 1988 as I was approaching the ripe age of 7. The boys that I grew up with from down the street were at our house. We all were out in the backyard when it was time that they had to leave to go to these "races" with their parents. The track was about 15 minutes up the street in Drums, PA. At the time it was known as Evergreen, now known as Mountain Speedway. While we (me and my sisters) were in fear of boredom once the boys would leave, we convinced our parents to go. Sure enough that is all it took.

Gosh, I can remember pulling up the dirt driveway and seeing the racecars pull in. Being 6 3/4 years old, you picked your driver based upon color and the more fancy it looked, the better odds that driver was bound to be your favorite. While my memory fades, I can't really recall who my driver of the evening was, but I can just remember this smell that would fill your nose as you walked through the pits at the end of the evening. A mixture of race fuel, burned rubber, and any other smell associated with racing.

There are just certain things from that era that stand out clear as day. Magee Miller in the famous number 28 Modified, Tony Siscone dominating the open comp shows, Richie Jensen, Charlie Klatt in the 28k from Catawissa. I can go on and on and on. This season will be my 19th season attending race tracks as a fan, and I have met so many different people, with the opportunity to meet more and more each weekend the passes by.

ModTourMan
01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Old Bridge Stadium in NJ - about 1967 (or so). I was way too young to remember too many details but I do remember my grandfather taking me by the hand and leading me trackside, where we talked to some of the drivers before the feature! I also remember that from that night on, I wanted to spend as many nights as possible watching Modifieds race...and I have!

MandyB
01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't remember how long ago this was, but I remember going to Riverside regularly, as my cousins raced there. I'd sit in the same seats for every event -- next to the wife of the cousin -- around the start/finish line and right next to the aisle.

Good times, as back then you were allowed to walk across the track after the event and walk through the pits. I remember that moment very clearly.

grumpyyank
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't remember my first race because I was probably an infant, but the first race that I can still remember was Waterford Speedbowl when I was about 5. I don't remember any details, but I do remember my father leaving my brother, who was 7, and I in the stands and he went into the pits. It would have been around 1971. Wow, is that why I am so emotionally scarred today? :drool:

StevePro
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Riverside Park in Agawam in the early 80's. Me and a friend couldn't afford the back gate price. We were 19 years old. We stood in the parking lot and heard the motors and we had to get in somehow. We stood there drinking a six pack of Miller beer in cans and I got an idea. I told my buddy that one side of the pits was where the river banks are. So...... we decided to swim for it. We walked way down the road toward CT and jumped in along the shore. We swam for what seem liked 45 minutes. Sure enough, we walked up through the back of the pits.....soaking wet. Didn't bother us. We were in, baby. Modifieds and loud cars. We walked around and pretended like we belonged there, but inside we were shaking for 2 reasons. We were wet and very nervous. Then I noticed that people had hand stamps and bracelets. I'll never forget that sinking feeling. We came so far and now what are we going to do. We found the small pit grandstands on the back stretch and sat there the rest of the night with our hands in our pockets. And we didn't move. Seeing the full grandstands from that angle was awesome. The following week, we saved our money all week so we didn't have to swim. We would have if we had to after we saw those modifieds the week before. We were going back no matter what it took.

W. J.
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Wow, if I read your story correctly, you swam UPSTREAM in the CT river to get into the races? That's dedication to a purpose like I've never seen. Good for both of you.

RGeeProductions
01-28-2007, 08:36 PM
No it's not WJ, it was the Miller Beer!!!!!!

W. J.
01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Uh, you mean they swam upstream in Miller Beer, LOL??? Or for it? :lol:

chrome horn
01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Stevepro always has the answers to the curveballs life throws!!!!!! Miller or no Miller

RGeeProductions
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Because of it!!!!!
"drinking a six pack of Miller beer in cans and I got an idea"
Tough crowd tonight!!!!

StevePro
01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the beer was helping. The river was pretty calm that day (thank God) and we were going to do what it took. A couple of people looked at us like "WTF". We didn't care. We were IN the pits. Shortly there after, I started dating a girl (for 7 years) whose Dad was the chief accountant for Williams Distributing (the local Bud vendor to Riverside Park). Then I had free tickets for I don't know how many years. We were there EVERY Saturday night. No, I never told her "the story".

RGeeProductions
01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
And thank goodness drinking budweiser then!!! LOL

W. J.
01-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Free tickets to races = GOOD. Free beer to go with it = BETTER! :cheers:

Stevepro, did you marry the girl??? :confused:

StevePro
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
no, but looking back....... She was my very first girlfriend. I'll tell you one thing though. Like you guys maybe, I look back and those were the best of times man.

StevePro
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Franman,

Your site here rocks my brother.

Steve

chrome horn
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks, but a big tip of the hat goes to Richie, JA and now of course the Hodge's. I'm glad you like

uticamike
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
July 69' it was for me. Utica-Rome Speedway, Lou "the Monk" Lazzarro won the mod feature. I saw a Charger (street stock) roll over coming of 4. My dad was aghast, I was hooked. Loved the place.

ModTourMan
01-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Riverside Park in Agawam in the early 80's. Me and a friend couldn't afford the back gate price. We were 19 years old. We stood in the parking lot and heard the motors and we had to get in somehow. We stood there drinking a six pack of Miller beer in cans and I got an idea. I told my buddy that one side of the pits was where the river banks are. So...... we decided to swim for it. We walked way down the road toward CT and jumped in along the shore. We swam for what seem liked 45 minutes. Sure enough, we walked up through the back of the pits.....soaking wet. Didn't bother us. We were in, baby. Modifieds and loud cars. We walked around and pretended like we belonged there, but inside we were shaking for 2 reasons. We were wet and very nervous. Then I noticed that people had hand stamps and bracelets. I'll never forget that sinking feeling. We came so far and now what are we going to do. We found the small pit grandstands on the back stretch and sat there the rest of the night with our hands in our pockets. And we didn't move. Seeing the full grandstands from that angle was awesome. The following week, we saved our money all week so we didn't have to swim. We would have if we had to after we saw those modifieds the week before. We were going back no matter what it took.
That's a GREAT story StevePro! That's commitment!

Rbemben1
01-31-2007, 01:35 PM
As an old, x-denizen of the Park (mid to late 60's), aside from being wet, you must've smelled like Bonde's Island (the Ct. River was kinda "ripe" back then)...no wonder no one wanted to look at (ANY) bracelet...

(Oh...Hi guys!! Good to be here....I'll keep the noise level down.)

Rich

hollywoodmic
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I think it was Islip Speedway in 1975 I was 4. My Dad was making all the leaf springs for the Modifieds of Tom McCann, Fred Harbach, Bill Park, Bob Park, Dan Jivanelli, Greg Sacks, Wayne Anderson, Sal Accardi, and Paul McElearney back in the Mustang days. Not bad company to keep as a young race fan. I just know until Islip closed and then off to Riverhead we didn't miss a Saturday night, family birthday parties, weddings, High School Graduations, all meant nothing. My Mom's rule..........just show your face and then you can sneak out.. We always seemed to make it just in time for the feature. I just say thanks to my Dad for starting us off and thanks to my Mom for putting up with the 3 of us, racing for over 30yrs.

Steve Halpin

Rbemben1
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
As an old, x-denizen of the Park (mid to late 60's), aside from being wet, you must've smelled like Bonde's Island (the Ct. River was kinda "ripe" back then)...no wonder no one wanted to look at (ANY) bracelet...

(Oh...Hi guys!! Good to be here....I'll keep the noise level down.)

Rich

...Oh ya...my first race was back in the 50's on the 1/2 mile at the Eastern States Exposition grounds. Being only 7 or 8, I don't recall much except that some class of midget roadsters were running. My mom (who's the one that got my hooked on racing) was a big fan of anything that raced on 4 wheels. She was also the one that got me hooked on motorcycles....but that's another story.
Somewhere down the road, I'm pretty sure that I saw Bobby Allison race there, sometime in the 60's.

Rich

Axel
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
...Oh ya...my first race was back in the 50's on the 1/2 mile at the Eastern States Exposition grounds.

Rich-- was that the 1750's or 1850's you are referring to? :angel:

Just kiddin' ya!
-Axel

Tower Man
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
It was 1965 and my Grandparents took me to Freeport to watch my uncle race, #R-25. As I got older my first time at Islip Speedway was for the Wide World of Sports Figure 8 Show around 1970. Pop used to take my uncle and I and we would sit in turn 4.

My first time driving was in an open competition race on a Sunday in October in 1978 at Islip Speedway. It featured the Riverhead and Islip Boomers racing with the Figure 8 cars.

Jaws
02-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I think it was Islip Speedway in 1975 I was 4. My Dad was making all the leaf springs for the Modifieds of Tom McCann, Fred Harbach, Bill Park, Bob Park, Dan Jivanelli, Greg Sacks, Wayne Anderson, Sal Accardi, and Paul McElearney back in the Mustang days. Not bad company to keep as a young race fan. I just know until Islip closed and then off to Riverhead we didn't miss a Saturday night, family birthday parties, weddings, High School Graduations, all meant nothing. My Mom's rule..........just show your face and then you can sneak out.. We always seemed to make it just in time for the feature. I just say thanks to my Dad for starting us off and thanks to my Mom for putting up with the 3 of us, racing for over 30yrs.

Steve Halpin

Too funny,

That was the same thing I used to do, show your face and off to the track.

I once got a wedding date to cut out early, change and head to the track.

I also flew back from Europe, showered and headed out to the track. I think I was in Europe and saw a mod feature all in the same day!!! Good times, good times!

phillie
02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I was born in August of 74 and I went to my first race 2 weeks later. I have missed 2 regular season races since. My earliest recollection was going to Martinsville in the mid 70's seeing the red clay in the parking lot and watching all of the different looking cars, Vegas, Pintos, Gremlins. Mom said I would just watch for hours without saying a peep.....

harvick2win
02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Riverside Park Speedway in 1982 (I'm 30 now)

I fell asleep in the stands, but the next year I went and I was hooked on it since..........

unowho243
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
My first trip was at Riverhead when I was about two years old. I went with my mother, my Father and my grandparents, Tony and Estelle, who worked in the beer and food stands. I went off and on for about 3 years until I was 5, then after that I was there every week! I thank my family very much for getting me into this sport!

ModTourMan
02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Too funny,

That was the same thing I used to do, show your face and off to the track.

I once got a wedding date to cut out early, change and head to the track.

I also flew back from Europe, showered and headed out to the track. I think I was in Europe and saw a mod feature all in the same day!!! Good times, good times!

That made me laugh too...Yeah, I was guilty of a lot of this type behavior back in the day...I could count on 1 hand how many races I missed at Wall in the 70's and early 80's.