PDA

View Full Version : New Egypt Speedway photo gallery

ModTourMan
01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
WOW! Awesome shots Fran. Great memories for me - I don't think I missed but a few of the Modified events run at N.E.S. during the time frame in those photos. I have said this many times (and with great affection) and I 'll say it again now - I sure miss that old dump!
N.E.S. was the place that I first got to watch many great Modified drivers from outside of NJ up close and on a regular basis. I would make the 45 minute drive from my home in Old Bridge, NJ (I lived across the street from Old Bridge Stadium -but that's another story) and find my way to my regular spot on the top row of the grandstands.
Back when they would run Wed. nights, I got to see Evans and Cook and many others chase Nascar points. I got to see long Island drivers and Jersey veterans race together. Later, when they switched to friday nights, I enjoyed watching the Jersey guys slowly improve - in particular, I recall watching Tony Siscone shadow Richie Evans for many, many races. Eventually, he would win his fair share against the master. In the mid/late 80's, I had the pleasure of doing a little Street Stock racing at N.E.S. I always enjoyed when the Mods came to race. Just to be in the same pits as Richie Evans and these other greats was quite a thrill to me! It wasn't the best track to pass on - in fact it may have been the all time WORST track to pass on - but the chance to see racers like Evans, Cook, Siscone, Blewett, Tomaino, Spencer, Harbach, Anderson (to name but a few) made the trip down Rte. 539 worth it.

jfp711
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Fran,
Great shots, I really enjoyed going to that joint. I know that there are some other sites out there that proclaim to be the authority of open wheeled modified racing, but this place right here is going in a much better direction, can't wait until the season starts.

Teds Race Tours
01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice Pics from NE. Thanks.

chrome horn
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm glad you guys like, but to be honest, I feel like I'm short changing you guys. I'm starting to scan my dad's slides which are what he took from 82ish to 87ish. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have them all scanned and I can do A New Egypt part 2

Rob.V
02-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Great photos. They bring back memories. I was there every Wed. night, saw some great races at that old track. We used to hit new egypt on Wed., East Windsor on Friday and Wall on Saturday. The picture of Wally Dallenbach, Jr. on the double hook made me laugh. He seemed to spend alot of time hooked to a wrecker in those days. :)

phillie
02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Great Shots!!

ModTourMan
02-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Great photos. They bring back memories. I was there every Wed. night, saw some great races at that old track. We used to hit new egypt on Wed., East Windsor on Friday and Wall on Saturday. The picture of Wally Dallenbach, Jr. on the double hook made me laugh. He seemed to spend alot of time hooked to a wrecker in those days. :)

Rob.V -Those were the days huh,? Lot's of racing in NJ back then if you wanted it. Those were my 'regular' stops also (no offense to Flemington and Bridgeport who were also running weekly at the time).