PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win?

chargerthunder
02-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Although there is no OFFICIAL Rookie of the year in the Blunderbust, who is your pick for top Rookie?

Scotty Wolf
02-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Me...........LOL, he he.

LongIslandJam
02-18-2007, 07:39 AM
You running full time Scott?

Scotty Wolf
02-18-2007, 11:40 AM
JA..........No, Ronnie and I are gonna go 50/50.

rabbid1
02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Who are this years rookies ?

Tower Man
02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure what the criteria for rookie are. They tend to change the requirements. It used to be 5 races. Not sure if that is 5 attempts to qualify or 5 features.

So this is what I will do through J T L Enterprises in memory of my Uncle, John Kraft who passed away in 2006 and got me started in this crazy racing business.

I will give a plaque to the 2007 Rookie of the year. I am still working on a cash sponsor. This is how it will be decided.

1- Each eligible rookie must declare their rookie status by the fourth week, (the status/eligiblity will be confirmed with the Riverhead Raceway management).

2 - The driver will get points based on finishes in Feature Events only and double points will not be awarded on Double Point nights..

3- 10 points for first, 9 points for second, 8 points for third and so on. If there are more than 10 rookies, 11th and up will receive 1 point. First is the first rookie across the line, not necessarily winning the race, just the first across the line in the finish. Second is the next rookie and so on...

4 - The car must display a JTL Enterprises decal each week on the B or C post to receive points. No excuses! No exceptions.

5 - If the driver raced in previous seasons, but did not compete in more than five events in a single season, they will be considered a rookie. (Exceptions would be a driver who has competed in other NASCAR divisions. For example, Crazy Eddie Mistretta ran BB last year. In my opinion, he would not have qualified as a rookie).

6- The Eligibility Committee will have final say on who the eligible rookies are in 2007.

The driver with the most points is the 2007 Rookie of the Year, and will receive their award at a suitable time as the track allows or at a small gathering in the pit area at the end of the season. Or maybe at the 2008 S.A.F.E.R. Banquet if Joe Saraceno allows me.

I will have someone keep track of this for me while I am doing the WMT races. I will supply the decals when you "register".

RacinRob
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Awesome news.

Scotty Wolf
02-18-2007, 07:42 PM
That's very cool of you Joe. ( I sure wish they had this back when I was a rookie in the many divisions I raced).

rabbid1
02-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Very cool indeed ! good luck to all of our 07 rookies.

W. J.
02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a great program, Tower Man, thanks. Now all we need is for the 'rookies' to be identified.

LongIslandJam
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Joe,

What would be the criteria for determining a rookie? Would attempts count against you? Past years there has been no set system per se.

Thanks,

Wheel Racing
02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice job Joe!

RacinRob
02-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm a rookie.

Tower Man
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
I would think rookies are determined by the track management.

W. J.
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Since there is no official Rookie of the Year program in place, the only rookie designation would place rookie drivers at the rear of the field for a minimum of 3 starts, so yes, I would say management makes that determination. It would , however, be interesting to see what is done with a driver who has run a year or more as a Charger, Fig-8 or LM driver and has decided that the seemingly less expensive Blunderbusts are where they want to be.

Tracy87BB
02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think that's going to be an issue this year, W.J. To the best of my knowledge, all of the rookies that I've had contact with during the offseason (as I've been compiling my driver roster) are rookies in the true sense of the word. It sounds like the only question that's going to have to go back to track management on this one would be whether rookie status should be determined by 5 attempts to qualify, or 5 actual features run. It sounds like a great program, and I'd hope that all of the "rookies" in the division would take advantage of it.

Tower Man, since I normally keep track of all of the finishes to do handicapping anyway, I'll volunteer my services to keep track of the points for you, if you're looking for someone to do it. You can supply me with the list of rookies who are registered with you, and I can take care of the weekly tally.

Tower Man
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks Tracy87BB.

Do we just want to say 5 attempts to qualify or 5 features in a given year? Start a pool. I don't care. I just want everyone to have a fair shot. And W.J., you bring out a good point. So I'm thinking, a veteran from another division really cannot consider themselves a rookie in the BB.

So maybe we can list the potential rookie contenders.

LongIslandJam
02-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Potential Rookies:
#5x Rob Bader - 0 races/0 attempts
#8 Jessica Cohan - 1 race/2 DNS/2 DNQs = 5 total attempts
#13 Eddie Rzonca - 1 race/2 DNQs/1 DNS = 4 total attempts
#29 Jessica Larsen - 1 race/3 DNQs = 4 total attempts
#05 Donny Oliver - 0 races/0 attempts

Rookie?
#83 Bob Dauernheim - 4 races/1 DNS/1 DNQ = 6 total attempts

That's the list I have. If there's any other rookies coming out, let me know and I'll do some research.

Tracy87BB
02-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Good luck to everyone.

And Tower Man, thanks. I've been around the Blunderbust division for a long time, and it's nice to see the drivers in that division get a little extra outside recognition. I'm sure they appreciate what you're doing for them. :applause:

Now all they have to do is remember to get their decals and display them in the right place.

W. J.
02-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I would have to say that you need to base the points on each driver's actually making the feature, rather than just attempts to qualify. I base that thought on the question of how you would rank them if they didn't make any features, since heat races really aren't the true measure of performance beyond actually qualifying the car in the first place. Track handicapping is based on points/money, so all a heat race placement means is that you qualify to be handicapped into the feature. I know, rookies start in the back, but not (hopefully) forever.
So anyway, it would probably be best to go with points for the highest finishing rookie and on down the line, based on their best finishes. It may not necessarily be 5, but we'll only know that come the end of the season.

Tower Man
02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
See original post for some clarification of rules.

The Eligibility Committee will be a five person team consisting of one car owner, (me...sorry), one crew member, one driver, an official and one media representative.

Looking for volunteers.

This may only be the beginning. I am working on some other projects to help the BB Divison. Stay tuned.

rabbid1
02-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd have to go with Rob Bader , But I dont think you can really consider him a rookie . So My pick is Jessica Larsen . Just curious How many features did Dennis Cunningham make in 06 ?

LongIslandJam
02-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Dennis Cunningham ran 6 races:

http://www.longislandjam.com/driver.php?trackId=3&divisionId=6&regionId=2&driverId=4844&carId=6914

RacinRob
02-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I have only raced one season in the enduros and one pro truck race.......so I think I'd be a rookie, but I'm not sure?

LongIslandJam
02-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Of course you should be considered a rookie. Just about everyone jumping in a Blunderbust has some sort of experience (enduros, go-karts, etc.).

Tracy87BB
02-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Uh oh, I guess we hit the first snag that's going to have to go to the named "Eligibility Committee". Last year, the Blunderbusts ran 13 shows. The #83 only ran four races, but he attempted to qualify seven times. That means that he was present for more than 50% of the shows, and will (technically) not be handicapped as a rookie for Opening Night. If Opening Night handicapping rules are the same in 2007 as they have been in the past, the #83 would be eligible to start roughly mid-pack, and would have a cushion of some pretty tough veterans (ranging from Tommy Walkowiak to Dale Arnold to Scott Maliszewski to Wayne Okula to Artie Pedersen) between himself and the rest of the rookies. Depending on what veterans are there for Opening Night, there could be as many as 12 cars between the #83 and the first of the non-handicapped cars (realistically, I'm guessing there would be roughly 8 or 9). The #83 would essentially get a three-week jump on the rest of the rookies. I guess we'll have to wait for the committee to be put together and see what their decision on it is...or if the #83 is even interested in being considered for "Rookie of the Year" anyway.

rabbid1
02-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Sorry Rob , I thought you ran a whole season in trux , you'd be a rookie for sure , best of luck to you this season.

Tracy87BB
02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
J.A., it sounds like you can add the #05 of Donny Oliver to your list of potential rookies (see his post under the other thread). I have spoken with Tower Man and I will be setting up a spreadsheet to calculate all of the finishes for Rookie of the Year once he has a finalized list of who the eligible and interested rookies are.

LongIslandJam
02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
You got it Tracy,

I edited the post in this thread listing rookies.

Tracy87BB
05-06-2007, 10:20 PM
OK guys, the decals are ready. If you are interested in running for Rookie of the Year (as was expressed initially), you need to declare your status and "register" by the fourth week of the season, and you need to display the decal. I'm going to try getting around the pits next weekend to catch up with everyone for the division roster I'm attempting to compile...sounds to me like a good way to accomplish two things at once. I was hoping to have the rosters available for Opening Night, but I've just been too preoccupied with my crew responsibilities to make my way around the pits. Last week, I had a prior commitment and had to leave right after the feature...this coming week I should have a chance to walk around after the BB feature if I don't get to it before then. Otherwise, feel free to come find me! :wave:

nobandwagonhere
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
One question:

Do features prior to registering count towards our points? In other words, if I register this Sat 5-12-07, will last Sat 5-5-07 count for me?

Thanks.
Donny Oliver
05 BB

W. J.
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes, there will be a grace period so everyone can get the stickers they need to be eligible.

Tracy87BB
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I did have the decals on Saturday, but I didn't get a chance to go around with them. I will have them again this Saturday. Everyone has until the fourth week to declare their rookie status.

Viper Man
05-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey my buddy and I are Rookies in the Blunderbust we might make 3-4 races each so we would like to be in on this we are in the VOODOO CADDOO 99 sounds like a good thing ya got goin here :cheers:

Russ

Tracy87BB
05-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Come see me on Saturday and I will get you both registered. You will each have your own points, though...the points go to the driver who takes the green flag. I get my finishes from the track handicapping staff and the Jam, so my only suggestion to you would be to make sure they know which one of you is running the car on any given night to get the proper points.

Again, any rookie who hasn't registered and received their decal yet has one more week to do so in order to be considered for "Rookie of the Year". I will begin to tally points after the May 26th race. All points are retroactive to Opening Night (i.e., even if you only register this week, all of the finishes that you have so far this season will count towards your total). Come and find me this Saturday or stop by the #29 Blunderbust trailer.

Charlie's Angel
05-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Matt Greenan in the 01 Blunderbust is a rookie also. We are hoping he gets his car ready for Saturday. We ran into some engine problems. He ran the first race and blew the rear before getting to race the 2nd race.

Tower Man
05-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice to see all this interest and positive feed back. My Uncle, Johnny Kraft, is smiling down upon us.

I am still looking for a cash sponsor. JTL Enterprises will provide the plaque.

Good luck to all.