PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Haters

Rich Mergl
02-18-2007, 12:19 PM
As printed in todays Newsday (TOYOTA STEPS ON THE GAS)
FORD FUSION made in Mexico
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO made in Canada
DODGE CHARGER made in Canada
TOYOTA CAMRY made in the GOOD OL USA

WALTER?

LongIslandJam
02-18-2007, 07:58 PM
One thing they teach you in business school nowadays is that there is no such thing as a company that is not global. We live in a global society. The lines of US-made are now blurred. Whether you like it or not, its here to stay. Welcome aboard Toyota and welcome NASCAR to the 21st century.

W. J.
02-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Ah yes, but more important than where it is made, is WHERE DOES THE MONEY (PROFIT!!!) go?

LongIslandJam
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Stockholders and the CEO LOL. That's where the majority of the money goes to. And with most big corporations, the stockholders are a diverse group of people from all around the world. And the CEO, well... They are overpaid in every company LOL

The Bullfather
02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
mine goes to Wells Fargo lol

allhailunc
02-19-2007, 05:31 AM
While made in good ole Kentucky, that money winds up overseas-Nuff said. :mad:

W. J.
02-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Ah, Larry gets it!

RGeeProductions
02-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh, it all gets better.........
GM to buy Chrysler (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17186447/)

unowho243
02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Money goes overseas....... This is an American sport and I personally don't like the fact that Toyota's are in NASCAR. I hope they don't win a race all season and decide to back out next season..... :mad:

allhailunc
02-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Look at it this way unowho243. The "edict" has already been handed down-1 more "F"up and we pull the sponsorship. What does that tell you about their real commitment to the sport? :mad:

Ace
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
TOYOTA is dominating the trucks series. Blaney finishes 2nd 1st time out in Busch race. They may not win a race this year unowho243, their drivers aren't elite but give them time and they will be in victory lane on a Sunday maybe not this year but next. Everyone crying about Toyota in NASCAR, Rich Mergl said it well in this thread.

BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY

TRD

pitbull113
02-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Who cares if Toyota is in ******* or not! Is everything in your house made in the USA? I strongly doubt it. You say it's an American sport; it's racing, they race everywhere and it wasn't invented in the USA. ******* only cares about the almighty dollar, they don't care about its fans, so why should we care what they do? Toyota has kicked butt in every racing series they've been involved in, so get used to seeing a Toyota in victory lane and get ready for Honda, because they're next and they don't like to lose either. Flame away boys. :wave:

FURacing
02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Bottom line....they suck....don't belong...Waltrip, Jarrett (who made a big mistake going to work for this clown) the 2 biggest names???...I'm pretty sure toyota won't be in any contention from here on out....should have done a lot better with almost half the favorites gone early..wait, they were never in it to begin with.

Jaws
02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
A lot of Toyota money stays right here in the US, stockholders, factory workers, sales people, service people, dealerships, etc.

If you think its a bad thing there is competition you are mistaken.

It drives Ford, GM, and Chrysler (owned by a German company that no one bashes) to build better cars and trucks. You will see better and better American cars and companies because of the competition.

If you hate non American companies in Nascar, how come there is no outrage over Dodge?

As someone else said, do we buy things made in other countries?? Every day.

Just wait til the Chinese get into the game someday, and don't think they will not try someday. They don't make any cars here, and they pay their laborers pennies an hour.

By the way, they are interested in Chrysler too.

TMAC
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I read in some magazine [automobile I believe] that Toyota spent $390 million in formula one last year! [no wins either]. I also read the reason they got into Nascar [they did there home work for sure.] was that Nascar fans are 3 times more supportive to the race teams sponsored products and that Toyota is looking to pick up business in sales of their trucks and Camry's. If you think for one minute that Toyota is going to pull out because of what Mikey did, no way! Speaking of others coming into this sport, wait till Honda shows up! I think by 2010 they will be here for sure. That's one of the reasons Chevy/Ford pulled out, because the cost is going to go through the roof. Racers and also the fans know racing has never been cheap and if you want to PLAY, YOU GOTTA PAY!

Jones44
02-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Michael Waltrip DNQ's at Fontana, still in the negative in owner points after 2 races, Dale Jarrett backs into the first 2 races thanks to the Darrell Waltrip/Steve Grissom rule, Mayfield and Allmendinger 2 DNQ's each.... :D

Jaws
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Michael Waltrip DNQ's at Fontana, still in the negative in owner points after 2 races, Dale Jarrett backs into the first 2 races thanks to the Darrell Waltrip/Steve Grissom rule, Mayfield and Allmendinger 2 DNQ's each.... :D

And your point? That after 1 race with all new teams, drivers cars and sponsors that they did not do well?

That was no shock.

They did not get the best drivers, there are no Jimmy Johnson's, little E's or Jeff Gordons .

No one believes they will win many or any races this year, do you?

What did Dodge do the first year?

By the way owned by a German company.

It's not that big a deal in today's world economy.

I'll bet many of us own stock or have a 401K that has Toyota or other foreign companies stock in them.

Most products sold by American companies are made in China.

If we avoid buying things made in other countries, our homes would be just about empty.

By the way, if Toyota came to Riverhead Raceway, and said we want to sponsor a big point fund or even provide a bunch of money to fix up the place, or both, would you turn down the money?

W. J.
02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I'll only make one comment here. I'm totally sick of "it's a world economy" excuse everyone likes to cite. How many of those people would like to work for the wages that economy is paying outside this country??? It makes me wonder just how much knowledge of the overall situation everyone really has.

W. J.
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
One other issue brought up here was about Dodge and how badly it performed in the beginning. That is not a fair comparison here, since Dodge came on the scene before NASCAR went to full "common template", where all the cars are exactly the same (sad) general body shape. So all Toyota had to do was spend literally millions developing their truck V-8 into a Cup power level engine, and a few bucks by comparison on aerodynamics. So much for NASCAR's 'level playing field'.
And Mikey still hasn't made a race, LOL! And Dale Jarrett will soon run out of Champ Provisionals. Then what???

Rich Mergl
02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Mikey wasn't good before or after DEI rides. No surprise, except that he left DEI. Jarrett kind of makes you scratch your head. He was so dominant till UPS took over sponsorship. Not that it should have made a difference.

unowho243
02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Dodge Is not OWNED by a German company they CO-own it, so money still comes to the U.S. Toyota on the other hand, is a 100% Japanese owned company and most of the money goes to JAPAN............

I rest my case..
and as for Chevy and Ford being built in Canada.... So what, money still comes here, and last time I checked, Canada has mostly American cars driving their streets.... How many Dodge's do you see in Germany? So even though SOME, (key word) SOME are built in Canada there's still Green coming our way...... Besides, Canadians are way crazy cool, Aeeeh...

IDRIVEALARGECAR
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Jammers,
I also am not happy with Toyota being in NASCAR, I feel they are wasting thier money on MWR, and should have concentrated on someone well established like BDR. Mikey is a personality, and nothing else. He and DW are like the France's down here and that's the way it is. Mikey could never be half the driver DW was and still is, as well as the Wallace's, they all ride the older brother's coat tails. I do like Herman he is OK, very down to earth, but Mike Wallace, can't say anything but Lucky. But I am also not happy with the whole way the France's and NASCAR and ISC are trying to rule, or is it ruin, a coveted sport. The new wave of rules and the fact that all the cars are looking the same is truly wandering away from a sport that years ago was fun to watch. To see Buicks and Olds and Pontiacs, etc. that actually looked like the cars you could buy was one rerason the sport has Flourished as well as it did. Now read about TV ratings being down and NASCAR and ISC wanting to tap new markets. The reason is the way they race now is getting boring. All the cookie cutter tracks and cars aren't as appealing to people as it was when they raced at N. Wilkesboro, Darlington, Rockingham, and other Staple Tracks of the Sport. So my only opinion, and again it is my opinion, is that Toyota and any other foreign Manufacturers money will gladly be accepted from NASCAR and any team that they want to deal with. GM, FORD, DODGE are all hurting financially and cannot afford to fund the teams like they used to. WHY? Back to the France's Domination of the Sport. Is it a Monopoly? I think so, as others do also. So we all will have to see where the future of this sport continues to go and as race fans, we will have to deal with it. I am thankful I have within 2 1/2 hrs from me literally 5 short tracks that provide me all the racing action I need. Short track racing is where it's at with me and always will be. Have a great day.
Joey Colicchio
Denver, N.C.

Jaws
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll only make one comment here. I'm totally sick of "it's a world economy" excuse everyone likes to cite. How many of those people would like to work for the wages that economy is paying outside this country??? It makes me wonder just how much knowledge of the overall situation everyone really has.

Walter,

I will say we have to agree to disagree on this one.

Toyota makes a lot of cars here and pays good wages to the employee's.

Toyota pays stock dividends that many Americas receive.

Toyota dealerships employee thousands of people (and make profits for their owners).

So not all the money goes back to Japan. Profits go back to Japan after paying for plants, materials, labor, insurance just like every other company in the "World". Should foreign companies not be allowed to make a profit?

We buy products made by foreign companies because we save money and we are able to buy more things to make our lives more comfortable. All things we buy are cheaper because of the competition from foreign companies. Hey, we invented the free market system, some foreign companies now do it better than we do.

Do they have an unfair advantage, sure they do. Poor exchange rates, cheap labor (or in China's case, even forced labor), lax environmental laws, but what has our goverment done to fight this in the last 20 years, nothing.

Hey, even with all the money they are spending, it will be a while before they win anything in Cup. If you hate them so much, enjoy their failures while you can.

JMO

W. J.
02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
No one said that any company can't make a profit. The point is more that they bought their way in, and NASCAR, not the NASCAR of old under either of the William France's, but under Brian France, allowed it to happen. I have no doubt that other off-shore manufacturer's are putting together monetary proposals right now to get their hooks into NASCAR.
I not only get great joy out of seeing the failures of the one that's there, I get a great amount of joy looking at the empty grandstand seats of others who think like I do, and voted with their wallets to register their feelings on the matter. I used to have good seats at Dover, NHIS, Talladega, Charlotte, even Darlington, and gave all of them up because I won't financially back this move in any way. I've also made note of who sponsors those teams, and need say no more about what happens there.
This is all my personal opinion on the matter, and in no way affects what I do at LI Jam. In that capacity, I have a job to do, and I will do it with the fairness it deserves, no matter what I personally feel.

unowho243
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks like no more Dominos for W.J., lol

Jaws
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
No one said that any company can't make a profit. The point is more that they bought their way in, and NASCAR, not the NASCAR of old under either of the William France's, but under Brian France, allowed it to happen. I have no doubt that other off-shore manufacturer's are putting together monetary proposals right now to get their hooks into NASCAR.
I not only get great joy out of seeing the failures of the one that's there, I get a great amount of joy looking at the empty grandstand seats of others who think like I do, and voted with their wallets to register their feelings on the matter. I used to have good seats at Dover, NHIS, Talladega, Charlotte, even Darlington, and gave all of them up because I won't financially back this move in any way. I've also made note of who sponsors those teams, and need say no more about what happens there.
This is all my personal opinion on the matter, and in no way affects what I do at LI Jam. In that capacity, I have a job to do, and I will do it with the fairness it deserves, no matter what I personally feel.

But I do agree on the $$$$ part of the whole thing in Nascar.

Ricky Bobby does a commercial in the film Talladega Nights about the official Tampon of Nascar, just wait its coming.

And I also do agree about the empty seats, unless its Bristol, Daytona or a couple of the other special tracks still left, I will not spend tons of $ to sit in tracffic, wait in line for very expensive food, not be able to see much of the race (like at Pocono with all the buildings in the infield) and pay tons of money for a Bud Little E hat.

I hope the car of tomorrow changes things, but I don't think so.

I'll stick to my mods and short track races in my little corner of the world.

By the way WJ , I have no problem with your opinion. If we all had the same opinions about everything, what would the fun be in that!!

Teds Race Tours
02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I can attest that Bristol sales for the Spring race are WAY down. Yes, the race is sold out, but there will be A LOT of tickets for sale in the parking lot, and a lot of empty seats at the track. Not sure if it's more the snow from the last 2 years, or the Toyota/Chase Change/Lucky Dog BS that Nascar has changed in the last few years. 2 years ago we had 145 people on our spring trip. Last year 110. This year, we're still under 50 with only a month to go. Even Bristol is being affected. Daytona was down as well, but only a very small %, but yes, I can see an overall decline in interest in Nextel Cup.
On the good side, our 2006 Modified Trips we're up about 15-20% over previous years, so the changes made at the Cup level do not seem to be hurting the Best Series in the world.

btgoss
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
While I can understand the Toyota bashers, you are all hoping for the wrong thing. What we should be hoping for is a very small amount of success for Toyota. Let me explain.

A small amount of success, maybe stealing a win after a strong early race, or a good strategic win, would be the best thing to happen. This will keep Toyota at it's current level of involvement. Should they really go in the tank, then the coffers will open, and money will be literally thrown around, all trying to get Toyota into the winner's circle. And that is when Honda shows up, when Toyota is down. And Honda will not start by playing nice like Toyota, they will come to stick it to Toyota; NASCAR will just be the latest battlefield. That is when our sport truly dies. When those two start throwing around F1 level cash, the American companies can't compete, and they leave...and then the Japanese companies get bored and then they leave... Like what has happened in Cart and IRL...

So... don't wish all bad for Toyota... let them have a little taste... it will help the Cup roadshow keep going for a bit longer...

Of course, that pucker-faced idiot (too dumb to run the lawn mower for his grandfather) will figure some other way of trying to ruin Nascar... like dropping the short track sanctions.

Ace
02-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Talk about beating a dead horse!

Toyota in NASCAR isn't going to go away people.

DJ is 28th in the point standings, if he keeps that up he won't need the champions prov after the 5th race if he even continues to use it till then.

Toyota didn't do much in the truck series in the 1st year, last time I checked I think they have a handle on that series now.

The team/drivers aren't top notch in Cup, so enjoy their failures now. How about the run by Vickers on Sunday.:applause:

The crowds are down and have been down the last couple of year, hmm blame that on Toyota as well:disgusted .The racing has been boring with the same type of tracks, perhaps that could have something to do with it.

Look around your house and all the stuff NOT made in the USA, you mean to tell me that YOU ALL BUY USA products ONLY?! :confused:

As far as the Mike Wallace comment, I would like to see him drive some GOOD equipment. The only time he has was when he took over the 12 car when Mayfield quit/fired, he drove the wheels off that car in the 6-8 races he ran.

JMHO
Buddy Turbush

Rich Mergl
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Hot off the internet this morning. TOYOTA is opening a new Plant in North America. ( THAT WOULD BE THE GOOD OLE USA) They are HIRING LAID OFF gm & ford UNION WORKERS.

Golf Guy
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Last I checked we live in a free enterprise society. Competiton is good, it make the strong, stronger and eliminates the weak. This is the founding concept of our country. As has been mentioned, almost everything in our household is made by foreign manufacturers. Foreign influence can be seen in all sports not just NASCAR, it is a way of life. Either live with it or give up a hobby/sport that you love.

W. J.
02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe they'll hire some of the 3000 workers Nissan is laying off? Does Toyota pay Union wages, Rich? You know, like you and I enjoyed when we worked for AT&T-NYTel-NYNEX-BellAtlantic-VeriZon?

Rich Mergl
02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
AHH the good old days Walter. But thru 36 Years I never saw or met the infamous MA BELL. That was before 1966 When I started.
I look at it this way. Wages I dont have a clue what they are paying, but i`m sure it is reasonable. The point is that they are hiring AMERICANS which Canada (the 51 state is not) And Mexico isn`t.
Back to MA BELL heard she would give you Benefits you weren`t intitled to. Time off with pay for personal reasons (without a question asked) And she would walk thru your worst day and hold your hand all the way. WISH I HAD MET this WONDERFUL WOMEN but that was before me. I just know of all the great things the old timers would talk about.

W. J.
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
"Everything in our households is made by foreign manufacturers". Good logic, but don't forget to mention it's because their employees DON'T make the wages that Americans (did) do, and they DON'T enjoy the same standard of living that most Americans do. Trouble is, the Madison Ave. spin merchants have convinced people, as part of their campaigns, to think of nothing else but the bottom (price) line, as the manufacturers think of their bottom line (profit) while selling out the very people who made them prosperous in the first place. If giving up NASCAR drives it out of business, I'm not going to worry, it'll probably be replaced by some off-shore sanctioning organization with a whole new series we will all love, because it will be an exact copy of the American original, just like everything else they have sold us! The only difference will be that the purses are lower, and the employees will be paid less. The tickets will cost a little less, it's just that the owner's of that new organization will make even more than ******* does now. Sounds like that will be acceptable to the majority, as it has been while they did nothing as their other industries (textiles, steel, electronics, etc.) disappeared while they marvelled over 'the new low price' of their now foreign made items.

Abe Lincoln was right, you can fool some of the people all of the time.:help:

Ace
02-28-2007, 10:10 PM
The Toyota haters root against them,hoping for failure. Do you do the same for Long Island's own Donny Lia as he has been sponsored by TOYOTA for the past 2 years?

Can someone please explain to me how Toyota is now up to #2 manufacturer?:applause:

Who is buying all these cars?:confused:

By the look of things TOYOTA haters there isn't very many of you.:cheers:

unowho243
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Toyota sponsored Donny what I believe that was...... A CHEVY motor in it

Golf Guy
02-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Walt you can blame the owners and corporate America all you want but have you stopped and taken a look at the work force these days? Everyone wants to get rich overnignt and most of the young (I wrote most, not all) people think jobs are below them, thus not working hard. This is not the case overseas. Now I know the goverments are different and many do not have a choice, but come on. We can write and talk about American pride in workmanship all we want but when push comes to shove...

art11758
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
As has been mentioned, America seems to love a bargain. We as a nation "enjoy" going to the store and not spending much to get quite a lot. It is ,as also mentioned, an illusion. Created at the cost of the middle class. Corporations are responsable to shareholders (stock holders). Those folks want dividends. Corporate heads who deliver dividends are rewarded handsomely (or obscenely depending on your point of view). What it all really comes down to is you gotta do what you are comfortable with. Me myself, I don't support what I disagree with weather it is "cup" with it's marketing partners, or Walmart. I work in a vanishing craft. If it weren't for the computer I write/post with (an idea from here made cheap elsewhere) I would be looking for a "new" career. Again. It is a fact that nothing is forever. You make choices and you do the best you can. 'Yoda in "cup"? Makes no difference to me. I feel the "races" are dictated/orchestrated from where ever Mike Helton and company is/are sitting that afternoon, right down to who wins. And for that kind of "entertainment", I'll pass.

W. J.
03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't disagree with you on that point, Golf Guy. But read today's Newsday, about PhotoCircuits in Glen Cove, laying off 740 people because they can't compete with foreign manufacturers because of the overall cost of doing what they do. That's 740 of your neighbors and fellow taxpayers who will now in all likelihood end up in lower paying jobs, or worse, having to move away from here.
Ace, as far as Toyota being the 2nd largest automanufacturer, you only need look at your area and see how many people have bought them to know why. Many people have bought into the "It's Imported" catch phrase of advertisers, used to make people think that somehow the product is exotic in some way. Those same Ad people have never used the word 'foreign', as that implies something alien, another word they fear. It's all about using psychology to sell a product, and they've done their job well, usually to the detriment of some of your friends and neighbors, who no longer enjoy the standard of living they used to in a better job than they have today. While it never affected me directly, I did come to recognize that it is a problem not often addressed in the media. If you look around you when you travel to other areas in this country, it is apparent not everyone got sold on this idea, as the amount of American made cars is greater than it is here in the 'melting pot' area. The reaason there are seemingly so few 'haters' is because way too many prople have become too complacent and just don't care about anyone or anything but their own well being and status. Let's face it, we live in the ME!, ME!, ME! society, instead of looking out for the common good of all of us. So we shop only with the idea of how much we can save to enrich our own fortunes and could care less about where others end up at the end of the day. "Oh, X auto maker laid off 6000 workers in Michigan, Indiana and Alabama today? Gee that's too bad, glad it's not happening here in my town" seems to be the general attitude.
I've gone on long enough. I hope someone sees the logic here, or we will only sink further away from being the best economy in the world, a title we are ceding to others slowly but surely every day as we spiral down to becoming a service country totally dependent on others to manufacture what we need in our lives every day, as we trudge off to our low paying retail jobs to sell those products to each other, while others make the big bucks from our unfortunate mistakes....

hollywoodmic
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Unowho what does a Chevy motor have to do with anything??? The point was he is sponsored by Toyota. If a Toyota motor was allowed on the Tour he would have one. It's illegal, that's why it's a Chevy, yet the point was his money comes from Toyota. So do you hope Donny fails because of that????

I think WJ has a right to his opinion, it is more of and "old school" opinion, that ranks up there with my fathers. The younger generation on this board, myself included sometimes forget the old days and what the US relationship was like with the Far East. For us younger people, 30 years from now would you want an Iraqi car in NASCAR?? I know they don't make one, but I hope you understand my point.

I say it's great to have Toyota, I hope they win a race soon. Yet I understand WJ's position. Racing can't get here soon enough, bring on the Icebreaker.

RGeeProductions
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Just to clarify Donny Lia sponsorship.
He is NOT sponsored by Toyota.
He is sponsored by a dealership, which is very different then the Toyota Corporation.

pitbull113
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Just to clarify Donny Lia sponsorship.
He is NOT sponsored by Toyota.
He is sponsored by a dealership, which is very different then the Toyota Corporation.Okay i'll try this without the "Unfair Characterization".:( RGee you're splitting hairs. I'm sure some of the profits from the dealership goes overseas. It's still advertising for a Japanese company.

W. J.
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Let's stay on point here, please. This has nothing to do with the country where the off shore cars come from politically, it's all about business, revenue, jobs and common sense. I'd love to see how many attitudes would change if someone opened up a 'competing' business next to anyone here who owns a business, and they realized they could no longer compete because the new guy is selling the same product, but it's produced for half the cost because it's done off shore, at lower wages and therefore sold at below the price it cost him to BUY his stock of merchandise. That's been the point I've tried to put forward all along: You can't, in my opinion, have a world economy under those circumstances and call it fair. But that's the rules we are playing with, and no one seems to get it. The other point is Toyota didn't have to invest money in designing a car to compete in this series all the years that the others did hahve to invest in before NASCAR got lazy, and decided to go to 'common templates'. No more different style cars from the factory, "just paste them there replica decals on this here car we decided on, which is a hybrid of a Chevy-Ford-Dodge, and let's go racin'! " Ah, for the good old days of NASCAR to return.

As to who sponsors anyone, that's the individuals choice. Donny Lia isn't the only guy running a race car that has sponsorship from an auto DEALER, no matter the make. I'm quite sure everything about Donny's car is legal, as he's been running long enough that if that were not the case, it would have been picked up long ago. Let's just leave him out of this.

pitbull113
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think anyone implied that Donny Lia's car was illegal. The point that was trying to be made was that there is no difference between Micheal Waltrip using Toyota funding and Donny being sponsored or anyone else being sponsored by an imported car dealership.

W. J.
03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Michael Waltrip is sponsored by NAPA.

pitbull113
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Micheal Waltrip using Toyota funding Funding not sponsored by.

Ace
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
WJ you say stay on point but at the end of your post you bring up Lia.

MY POINT was he gets money from Toyota a dealership, it's still TOYOTA and since you have a problem with Toyota that's why i brought him into it. Sorry Donny. I cheered for you since legends, It DOESN'T matter who your sponsor is to me.

Nobody said he was illegal WJ:confused:

I agree with all of hollywoodmic's comments on this thread.

Bet hollywoodmic is pulling for the 36 to put it in victory lane with a certain crew chief now in charge of that car.

Jaws
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I could be wrong but isn't it Honda on the back of Donnie's car?

RGeeProductions
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Huntington Honda is a sponsor.
[Just confirmimg above post.]

pitbull113
03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda or Toyota what's the difference!

hollywoodmic
03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Now this post has just gotten ridiculous. I say close it down, it's now just a bunch of blah, blah, blah. My statements included. Toyota is here to stay boys and girls and it's good for the sport, it gave people jobs that otherwise wouldn't have them in motorsports. Ace you hit the nail on the head, I will be pulling for the 36 and the 22 next week.

I say do what WJ is doing if you don't like it don't support it. That's the best way to show your displeasure. As for Pitbull, "Honda Or Toyota, what's the difference???" Did you log onto LI Jam on an American Made computer today??? Did watch the Cup race on your Ameican Made TV on Sunday??? Did you get a drink out of your American Made refigerator today??Was it an American made camera that took the picture of Earnhardt in your avatar??? I don't know the answers to those questions, but I figured I'd put it out there. If every product in your home is American Made, more power to you.

I just ask these questions because the world is changing right in front of our eyes and if you blink you may miss it. I do business in China, I hate it but it's the only way to stay in business. That's not Toyota's fault.

Ace
03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I believe the name of the dealership is New Rochelle Toyota, it is on there on well.

We've all made our points on this subject, let's move on.

pitbull113
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Hollywood I think you should have read some of my other posts on this thread before you decide to bash me.:mad:

hollywoodmic
03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Where did I bash you, lighten up. I asked you questions, I never bashed you. Don't be so sensitive. Please put the quote in your next post where I bashed you, because I seem to have missed it. I did just re-read your first post,so I do apoligize because you and I seem to be on the same page, but in my defense that post was from last week and all I read from recents posts it seemed like you had a problem with advertising for a foreign company. Sorry for the questions, you already seemed to answer them previously.

pitbull113
03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Who cares if Toyota is in ******* or not! Is everything in your house made in the USA? I strongly doubt it. You say it's an American sport; it's racing, they race everywhere and it wasn't invented in the USA. ******* only cares about the almighty dollar, they don't care about its fans, so why should we care what they do? Toyota has kicked butt in every racing series they've been involved in, so get used to seeing a Toyota in victory lane and get ready for Honda, because they're next and they don't like to lose either. Flame away boys. :wave: You're preaching to the choir

hollywoodmic
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah I saw that and edited my previous post, just look up above.

pitbull113
03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Okay maybe not "bashing" maybe "calling me out". Or maybe directing a statement towards me. No harm done i'm just cranky in the morning.

Jeff T
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Just to clarify a point on Donny Lia's Toyota/Honda sponsorships, his family owns several Toyota, Honda, and other brands of import car dealerships from Long Island to as far away as Albany, NY. That is probably the reason for the import car sponsorships on his race team. Whether they get financial help from the factory or if it is all out of their pockets through their various dealerships, that is for them to know and us not to question.

outlawfab
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
:confused: :-| :lol: :drool: :p :cheers: :) unbelivable

W. J.
03-02-2007, 10:12 AM
You can't respond to this thread on an American made computer, or watch a race on an American made TV, etc. because we abdicated those industries a long time ago to the lower wage 'neighbors and friends' who now make them, along with many other things we've seen disappear from our countries landscape. But don't worry, we still have to fix the cars here, because it's not cost effective to ship them back for repair. Of course, others are trying a different idea there: import illegal aliens..er.. low wage workers who will fix them for less than $10 an hour, but don't reduce the repair charge, just up the profits. This isn't 'old school' thinking so much as it is thinking, PERIOD. It is thinking long and hard about previous mistakes made by our society, and figuring out a way to communicate to everyone that a mistake has been made, and how to correct it.
Yes, trade between countires is necessary for all of us, as we have certain things they want, and vice versa. It's when another country undercuts what you have that it becomes a problem. If so many Americans had not bought into the "exotic is imported idea", Toyota and the like wouldn't be needed to provide the previously mentioned jobs, because Americans would still be at work, making American cars, in American factories, instead of collecting empty shopping baskets in a mall parking lot full of imports.

Lastly, a clarification. I didn't infer that Donny Lia was ever illegal, I was addressing a statement made in a post prior to that about how it would be illegal for him to have a Toyota engine as opposed to the Chevy he has under the hood. Donny Lia is a fine, upstanding racer and person, and I admire and respect him; I'd just never buy a car from his sponsor.

IDRIVEALARGECAR
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Jeez guys just think if there was an Iraqi Race Car out there it would Probably just Blow Up like everything else is over there.
Joey Colicchio
Proud GrandFather of Kyeria Rose
Born march 1st 2007

W. J.
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Good news. I have no more to add, so maybe this thread will just fade away....

It is what it is.

Rich Mergl
03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe I`m sorry I started this post. It was just to say Toyota is the only CUP CAR MADE IN THE USA. Next someone will B---H about Smithtown Nissan. I`m with Hollywoodmic let's end the thread and stop the BS.

LongIslandJam
03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Alright folks, I think there's an overall consensus to close this topic.

Just a final word:

Whether you hate them or love them, Toyota is here to stay and most likely more "foreign" companies are going to follow them.

Toyota may not seem to be doing too well right now, but when Dodge came into the game, they didn't set the world on fire either, but they DID have the advantage of having a solid team to debut their car (Penske). Give Toyota time, they'll be up there.

Yes, while Toyota's profits go to other countries, at least they share better than the big three. Check out who owns the majority of shares for Toyota, GM, Daimler-Chrysler, and Ford for kicks and you'll be surprised. And at least Toyota hires American workers. :rolleyes:

I agree, the day and age of American dominance of the automobile industry are gone. But crying about it and excluding others is not the way to go. We need to beat them with our best, because we can, but the question will be asked: will we have enough willpower to do so, or will we cave in under pressure as it's easier (and more profitable)? Let's not hope the latter...

And the bottom line is, racing is racing. Whether its Chevy's, Toyota's, or Kia's, we'll be watching because we're drawn to competition, and as long as there's competition, we'll be watching for many years to come.