PDA

View Full Version : Campi Era Feature Wins by Bruno Brackey

oldracer
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
How many main events did Bruno Brackey ( Long Island's all time feature winner) win during the Campi era at Freeport?

Mike Fields
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't have the answer to your question. But thank you for being correct as to Bruno being the all-time winner on Long Island.

Still, that takes nothing away from the other great one from Baiting Hollow. I'm sure that we'll hear from all of his fans (of which I was one).

figure849
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
how do you know that he is the all time winner if you don't have a number of feature wins that you can credit to him ?

Dwight Clock
03-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Bruno won over 300 features in his '37 Ford sedan that he raced for over twenty years. Add to that his Non-Ford wins and I believe his total would be close to 400. Eddie Brunnhoelzl is probably second. I could be wrong but I don't think he won a modified feature in the Campi era. Maybe a LM win or two.

oldracer
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Dwight,You are correct in the assessment of Bruno's number of feature wins. Most were in the Sedan division, ( Two Cars,Betsy #1 and Betsy #2,which I have here on Staten Island in my museum. Some were in the Non-Ford division,some in the Modified division,and many in the 3/4 midget division,which I have here on display also.. I have his championships listed on his driver profile on the jam. Also,he was the only driver in the history of Freeport Municipal Stadium to win all three heats and all three main events in in one night of Saturday night racing, Sedan,Non-Ford,and Modified. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Eddie & George Brunnhoezl & Charlie J fans. Dwight,during the Campi era, you're on the money also. He won two features in the Late Model Division. One in a 100 lapper in the John Garra owned # 81 Camaro, and one in his own # 71 Chevelle. I sponsored Bruno in the Late Model division in 1980 and the $500 that I put up he collected close to $1500 in a special sponsored purse deal that year.. It was a good deal for the drivers. Hey Mike,are you related to Sidney Fields, the landlord on the old Abbott & Costello half hour shows. They were funny. You must have got your sense of humor from him. Also,Check out my sponsorship banner on www.3widespicturevault.com, a great vintage stock car website. Regards,George.

Mike Fields
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
George, if you ask anyone at Riverhead, they'll all say that "Fields has a sense of humor???!!!" (Please, no comments WJ...)

And no, there is no relation.

oldracer
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Mike, great, I love a guy that can take a joke. An awful lot of that goes on here every day for the last 40 years. I've been on the receiving end many times. If you ever find yourself crossing Staten Island, stop by. We're building new (OLD) replica vintage stock cars all the time. Dan D and his brother stopped one day. Historically or histerically, George.

Mike Fields
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
George, I'm still waiting for you to pull 'ol 71 out of mothballs and make an appearance at Riverhead for our annual reunion. Maybe if it'll help, I'll bug you on LaSheef's board too! hehehehe

RickFigure8
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Did you see the photo I posted of Brunos car. In the General section I believe.
Rick