PDA

View Full Version : Freeport drivers that made it to Indy.

oldracer
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
OK Dwight, how many drivers that started their driving careers at Freeport Municipal Stadium in any division, found their way to taking laps at Indianapols, trying to qualify for the 500? Maybe not qualifying, but at least on the track trying. Don't forget, Duke Donadlson, truly a great racing promoter, knew every drivers bithday, what they did for a living, aware of every new addition to their family, and announced it on race night , also he owned an Indy Roadster and was passionate about getting his car into the show.It only made the race one year. Duke called other drivers who failed to quailify his cars Bums at Freeport on Saturday Night. He offered the ride to Bruno, but he couldn't leave because of his Mailman job for a month. How close he was to the major leagues!!!!

Dwight Clock
03-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I'll give it a try, George, and say four. Mike Nazaruk who competed in three Indy's, Bill Schindler (also with 3 Indy's,) Johnny Coy, who passed his rookie test in 1961 but never qualified, and Dan Gurney. Gurney was originally from Huntington and attended races at Freeport as a spectator. I believe he did compete once or twice there.

310fig8
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
:confused: I'm not positive about this, but didn't Len Duncan also drive Indy?

Dwight Clock
03-06-2007, 07:56 AM
:confused: I'm not positive about this, but didn't Len Duncan also drive Indy?Len Duncan qualified for the 1954 Indianapolis 500 and finished 23rd. Len was from Philadelphia and started his career in 1927, seven years before Freeport was built.

310fig8
03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I stand corrected. :)

oldracer
03-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I think you have it covered Dwight. One other guy was Jerry Karl from Rockville Center. He started in the Novice Division in 1957 at Freeport.

Mike Fields
03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I know that Mario Andretti also raced at Freeport, as Donaldson frequently also made note of.