PDA

View Full Version : Favorite memory of the track itself.

Jaws
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Islip was cool little track that challenged many drivers in its history.

What memory or memories of the track stick out in your mind?

I have a few, that red and white striped wall, the pizza stand which had guard rail on the front of it because it was on the drag strip behind the main grandstand, the site of all those mods and figure 8's coming out of the pit gate to line up for a race, Lawrence wreckers with all those wreckers they brought each week to drag the figure 8's off the track when a race was over.

Other memories, all those ARDC midgets getting pushed off to start a race, the loudness of the mods when they started a feature.

I sure miss that place in its prime, god I hate Silverlake cookies!!!

Here's a triva question: What was Islip before it was a track???

Dwight Clock
03-12-2007, 09:09 PM
One of my favorite memories is the excitement and anticipation I felt when I would wake up on a summer Saturday. My parents had a booth at the Bay Shore Farmers Market and I was obligated to work there until 2 p.m. on Saturdays. I would walk to the track from there. I would walk along the north side of Sunrise Highway until Commack Road, where I would cross over to the old Carvel stand and get a cone. Then I would walk up Freeman Ave. to the south parking lot and walk around to the pit entrance on the southeast corner of the pits. Usually there was an out of towner or two waiting by then. Rene Charland, Gil Hearne, and on one memorable occasion, Ray Hendrick. There was nothing that could ever match the excitement of race day!

W. J.
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
:-|:-b:(:*-(

Jaws
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Actually your walk up Freeman reminds me of our wait at the North ticket booth each week.

You see Dwight while you could walk we drove 1 1/2 hours from Orient Point every week, getting more excited as we got closer. You knew you were close when you crossed the Southern State heard the cars and saw that Islip Speedway sign they rolled out each week with the big red arrow.

When we got in line at the ticket booth you could see the pits and the cars lining up for warm ups, which I think started at 6:00PM unless it was a special show, then it was a little earlier. Out they came, Tyler, Winters, Charlie, Hendrickson, Spade, Park, Park, Harbach and many many more.

Those are memories I will never forget.

What did they say in the ads? 12,000 seats on sale every Sat night!!!

W. J.
03-13-2007, 01:39 AM
:wave::cheers:

art11758
03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Simply put, probably the best years of my life. I was only active with stock cars for three years before the lure of over the road truck driving pulled me away. Still, I met folks at Islip that I still see pretty regularly. The atmosphere of Islip is what I still remember. I "feel" it sometimes when I go other places like Seekonk or lately, Mahoning Valley. It was also a time of innovation where a clever guy with not too much loot could still be competitive. Good times indeed.
And I seem to recall reading somewhere that between the airport and the Speedway being on the property, it was a bulb farm.

broz
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.brozmotorsports.com/images/dad_71.jpg

Teds Race Tours
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Broz.
I wonder why? Who's is that kid on the car, do you know him?

My favorite memory was an All Star 300. Richie Evans chased Charlie J for 297 1/2 laps, and couldn't get passed. Charlie blew his motor going into turn 3 or lap 298, and Richie went on for the Victory. You got your money's worth on that day!!!!

broz
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
:lol: Well Ted, I guess I could have given some back-story on that photo :lol:
That is a very young Broz on top of that old Pinto. And the truth is, it is ONE of MANY fine memories I have of growing up at the track.
I keep that photo on our mantle next to all of my boys' very own trophies. My kids have always thought that it was cool that Grandpa used to drive "go-karts" :lol:
I would give anything to see my Dad in victory lane one more time at Islip :applause:

GREAT THREAD!

Teds Race Tours
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I figured that was you. If it was a pic me and my dad, I'd have a poster print made up, or put it on a billboard across the street from my front door.

And yes, this is a great thread!!!

Dwight Clock
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
:D ...Man, you guys are making me feel old! Jr. Ambrose...Grandpa? I remember when he won a Trenton Qualifier and was too young to race there!:)

RovinPromotions
03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
There are 2 memories that I can fondly remember. One was Bob O'Rourke asking people what time Anderson would show up at the old back gate at islip! Hint [usually just before the mod consi] lol. 2nd one was my first ever demo derby in a 1972 Ford LTD. I was knocked out with 8 cars left out of 38 started. That was fun. :)

Wheel Racing
03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Too many to list,but here are a few:
1-My father towing 6 cars in every week and then back home with a 62 Chevy Pick-up converted into a tow truck with a Hand Crank Boom.The track said they needed 10 cars to have a Ladies Division so he owned 7 and towed 6(Trivia-Any one know who drove the 7th car?)

2-Figure 8 Championship Days,Water Fights,sneakin into the pits in the trunk of cars,etc.The Capri Motel in Bay Shore where all the Florida guys stayed.***** I am getting old!

3-Islip Speedway Pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dwight Clock
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Too many to list,but here are a few:
1-My father towing 6 cars in every week and then back home with a 62 Chevy Pick-up converted into a tow truck with a Hand Crank Boom.The track said they needed 10 cars to have a Ladies Division so he owned 7 and towed 6(Trivia-Any one know who drove the 7th car?)

2-Figure 8 Championship Days,Water Fights,sneakin into the pits in the trunk of cars,etc.The Capri Motel in Bay Shore where all the Florida guys stayed.***** I am getting old!

3-Islip Speedway Pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Figure Eight championship days and World Championship demo derbies on Wide World of Sports! I worked for Lou Figari as a teenager. Those days were gold mines! I would show up at 5 a.m. and set up all the concessions for Figari's manager Bill Hogan. I would finish about 11:30 a.m. When the gates opened at 12 I would sell stuff in the stands, drinks on warm days, chips on cooler ones. I would finish up around 6 p.m. I never went home with less than $200 in my pocket on those days - HUGE money for the mid 60's!

W. J.
08-05-2007, 07:38 PM
:wave::cheers:

RGeeProductions
08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Sal Accardi Sr?

Teds Race Tours
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Yep, thats Sal Accardi in turn 4 at Islip.. He always had pretty cars. Great Picture WJ. Interesting vantage point. It looks like it was from turn 2, but I don't think the top row would have been high enough to get this picutre over the fence. Where were you?

W. J.
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Gee, I don't have two trophies to hand out, what do I do now, LOL!

Very good, and very quick responses.

RickFigure8
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
And that car is an ex Tony Ferrente/Jim Hendrickson X3.

W. J.
08-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Very good, Rick, I was wondering if anyone would mention that.

randomrodder
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Way too many to list, here are a couple.

The first time i took my wife to Islip. I hadn't gone myself in a few years. We got there last and sat on the backstretch on a lower bleacher seat. Bill Park rounds turn two, climbs someone's rear tire in his yellow coupe, sails through the air, hits the pole right in front and above us, my wife looks up and sees the under carriage of Bill's coupe and says, Oooooooooooh, this is cool! I couldn't keep her from Islip or Riverhead from that day in the 1969, maybe 70 to around 1986 for even one race. Thankfully no one was hurt that day.

Then there was the time we were going to see an extra distance modified race. The track was flooded. Mendleson had pump trucks, Ducks cesspool trucks and even the Fire Dept there to pump all the water out of the track. Yes, they raced that night. Now that's dedication! RIP Larry.

Then there were the ostrich races.........LOL You had to be there.

Every Saturday night was an adventure in short track racing at Islip.

310fig8
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
WOW Ramrodder....... I do remember that Billy Park Coupe flying thru the air. Funny thing is that I was just thinking about that this weekend after he did such a masterful job finishing second in the tour race.

RickFigure8
08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Mentioning poles reminds me of the night one of the new falcon bodied modifieds climbed up over the guardrail between turns three and four and went right through the light pole. Sheared it right off, it was swinging from the wires, lol. The car went right down the hill by the south entrance and I remember hearing it was driven back to the pits. From that week till the end I was always reminded of that night by the replacement pole that was about ten feet longer than the other poles.

Rick

Tower Man
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
W.J....

Is that Sal Accardi Sr. in that photo?

Tower Man
08-09-2007, 06:43 AM
My most memorable time at Islip was my first time in a Figure 8 car. It was October, 1978, a Sunday show. The Figure 8's combined with the Freeport and Riverhead Bombers for a 100 lap race. Yes 100 laps. O'Rourke shortened it because of the carnage. But I remember being in the chute for my heat and we got the 2 to go single. So I figured in a minute we would be racing. Well the minute turned to 20 minutes and a car was towed off on a double hook, mangled.

I said to myself, "Do I really want to do this?"

But I did and had fun.

Also, starting 33rd in a Figure 8 consi, only 2 qualified and it wasn't Championship Day.

And yes, the pizza.