PDA

View Full Version : Newsday - Motorsports Rally

CIN
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Check out Newsday article for the rally held this past Sunday at Captree.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lirace0319,0,3488521.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

The Bullfather
03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
how was it I was at church at 10 am on sunday morning, it should have been saturday morning. I know the weather was bad this weekend, but they should have schedule a saturday instead.

CIN
03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
They are planning another one.

W. J.
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Too bad Newsday didn't have Marshall Lubin doing the story. This guy Bain wrote what seems to be a very incomplete accounting of what the real issues are. I'm not saying he's a bad person, but he definitely has little or no knowledge of motorsports. His historical mentions are straight out of the Newsday archives, not from anything he learned through talking to anyone.

Let's hope the coverage of the next one is better.

art11758
03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
I stopped by Captree on Sunday the 25th. Spoke to "Supershafts", got some "No Motorsports = No Levy" bumper stickers, and mingled. Since they haven't put a shovel to the ground so to speak (at Yaphank), and after the story in Suffolk Life last week, I get the feeling that we aren't done yet. I know some folks that post here are still very involved, so for those of you (like myself) who may have lost some enthusiasm, there are some people doing some good things for "us" (the motorsports community). So keep writing your officials, posting on Newsday and News12's bulletin boards, and be patient. Oh an' another thing, be as polite and repectful as if you were asking for the gravy to be passed at the Sunday dinner table. I still am amazed at the lack of ________ that some seem to think will make themselves "heard". While I am at it, if you do go to some public place to assemble, mind the rules and pick up after yourself. Nothing shoots holes in a good effort like having the folks we are attempting to reach think we are slobs. If you could walk to go get the cup of coffee, walk to find the place to put the cup when it's empty.

W. J.
03-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Well said, Art. The more we portray ourselves as respectful citizens, the better our chances of getting something positive done.
Now if I could just get one of those bumper stickers to put on my car....

The Bullfather
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Someone should get the letters to editor section in the south shore press this week. There is a letter from Steve Levy and he mentions housing again but also mentions sport complex with minor league hockey, did notice anything about racing. But it could be part of the deal. But if there is housing I doubt you will see a racetrack near by!

CIN
03-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Levy's mention of motorsports for the Yaphank property only consists of an indoor ATV facility. Nothing what so ever for outdoors.

The people that are gathering at Captree are trying to get them to reconsider the RFP for Yaphank. We, anyone involved in motorsports or cars, should be supporting the - NO MOTORSPORTS = NO LEVY....
And taking it a step further - NO MOTORSPORTS - Levy and all current Legislators voted out.....

Yes we have Riverhead, but we need to get behind all types of racing. Support each other. Or we will have more housing, more stores and more taxes....

art11758
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
to the NEWS12 BB:
http://forum.news12.com//ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=676339&page=0&fpart=9&vc=1
to the Top Gun message board:
http://www.topgunse.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116
WJ those stickers might still be available from Supershafts' shop in Bellport. I think they also had em' at the counter at SK Speed in Lindenhurst.

CIN
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I will be getting some of the bumper stickers within the next few days from Marty....I'll let everyone know when I have them on hand.

W. J.
03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
One problem with NEWS12 board; you must be a cable customer, (I'm not), or pay $4.95 per month to post. But that is exactly why I'm not a cable customer, because all they want is your money!

It's funny to read the narrow minded people who do add comments there. The one I liked was the one who was happy "they closed the track" and "you should fight the opening of any racing facility, because it lowers property values". (And they are RENTERS!) Ah, there are geniuses all over the place.

The others are those who'd like to see all that housing built. Not that some isn't needed, but not concentrated in one spot. That's the greatest cause of increased property taxes, and the potential for the neighborhood going bad when their property value decreases because of it.

CIN
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
If anyone needs, I have some of the NO MOTORSPORTS = NO LEVY bumper stickers at the shop. And if I need I can get more.

art11758
04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
The next gathering is going to be on May 6th, location to be announced. This is the one to support if you have an interest in motorsports on Long Island. Don't count on "someone else" to speak for you. It's time to get the ball rolling. (again, I know) It has to be big. I know some of you may be heading to the tour race at Wall that day, (I'm planning on going too) but you gotta ask yourself "How bad do you want it?" I'm willing to take the time, how 'bout you??