PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Maynor

Dwight Clock
03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Great article by J. A. Ackley on the restoration of the Ernie Maynor #82. It would be fabulous to see that car on the track again. Can someone tell me the date of the Ernie Maynor memorial? I would like to attend.

figure849
03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
J.A. thanks for the write up, hopefully someone will step up and help with painting Ernie's car. I enjoy restoring figure 8 cars, but it would not be pretty if I did the body work and paint.

DAN D.
03-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I have been emailing Artie and I am making arrangements to go out and see the legend, Ernie Maynor's car, hopefully tomorrow. We will take it from there if it is possible for The National Collision Co, USA Inc. to help out with this project.

DAN D.
03-27-2007, 10:47 PM
So I met with Roger and Artie and saw what is involved with the car and, I am discussing it with my partners to see if there is a way of taking on this project . I will know by the end of this week what's happening, I am for it ..except I have collision work at the shop and just ran an add this past week in Newsday for help wanted in All positions.. so that is a hurdle that comes into play, also, finding qualified help to work on the collision work. I have 12 now and need a few more Good people.. 25 car repair shop .. oh well ..:rolleyes:

DAN D.
04-14-2007, 08:37 AM
So the latest update is I had the regional Manager for ICI auto color come to my shop and discuss the possibility of Helping out with the cost of the Paint Materials...(about $1,000.00) and it looks good the main questions is why it has to be red? because Red is the Most Expensive paint to buy.. I told him that there is no option there it has to be red.. Just wondering if there are ANY people in the Auto Body Field that can come down to my shop when and if I can do this project.? basically needed are someone that can do some minor plastic work and DA work, prep for painting, I would need about 5 guys...oops people . Thanks Danny

leah28racing
04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I would like to take the time to thank Artie and everyone trying to get my grandfather's car back in order. It means a lot to my father to get this car back on the track for the memorial race.

Artie you have been a big help in my dads life, I just wanted to say thank you for everything. (Even though you pick on me). I still love ya!!!

DAN D.
04-16-2007, 06:58 PM
With all the help that I might get from the paint manufacturer, it still would fall short of helping to get this car done at my shop. Maybe there could be a fundraiser so that there could be $1,000 bucks raised to get this car done? I really wish that I could just DO IT, except there are quite a bit of variables that have to be factored into this Project. Thanks, Dan Dombal

LongIslandJam
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey Dan,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I thought Combined Auto Collision stepped up to the plate: http://www.longislandjam.com/news/2007/newsmain/news040207a.htm

figure849
04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes everything is all worked out, I just have to get the car to the body shop. Thanks again Bob

RickFigure8
04-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I've been following the story on Ernie's car as it progressed, and it looks like it's coming together, but I was just wondering, Ernie's cars really never had any bondo or real bodywork on them. The body parts were pretty much all just bolted, rivited or gas welded in place and that was it.

JohnZ10
04-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey my mom posted this on the Safer website. I figured I would post it here since I don’t think the safer site gets much activity. At first I didn’t care much. Then mom reminded me how many hours we had involved in the car.

Date: 4/25/2007, 10:32 am, EDT
Name: Jessica Zell <167.93.74.120>
Email: jessica_zell2000@yahoo.com
Number: 77
Just a brief note to say that I read the article about the restoration of Ernie's #82, in Long Island Jams.
While my sons and I are pleased to hear that this was being done, again. We were very disappointed to see that there was no mention of the fact that my late husbands "Special Delivery Racing Team" also did this in 1992. Our team did this on their own and at their own expense. This was a feat that we undertook, as an "act of love" to the memory of a dear friend, and some mention of this should have been made.

IN OTHER NEWS, Little Benjamin Zell is carrying out the family tradition at New Smyrna Speedway in FL. He races Mini Stocks. He is currently third in points during his rookie season.

I am very proud of him.

The Bullfather
04-28-2007, 12:09 PM
ummmm ok, maybe we can get some photos, we'll post them here on the board. Also it said it was done in 1992, this is 2007. LongIslandJam.com wasn't around back then. It is cool to hear this news, but please if you'd like to share more, please do so! We encourage it!

figure849
04-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I myself was absent from racing from 88 till 2000, I am now proud to be part of the Ernie Maynor restoration, as I am sure that Johnny and his family were at the time that they took part in that restoration.
Johnny Zell is a big part of figure 8 history, And I would be honored to do a Johnny Zell restoration if anyone knows of one of his cars sitting around anywhere.

JohnZ10
04-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Mr. Schenk,
My family would be honored I am sure. By no means do I mean to discredit the hard work you have done. I think it's a great thing you are doing by ensuring our local Fig 8 heroes are remembered, as well as securing the history of our sport.

Unfortunately, I can not be much help in finding one my father old cars. I have been away from Long Island since joining the Military in 1997 and currently live in Clarksville, TN. I am not sure who has the #10 we bought from the Sprague family. Last known owner I know of is Tom Rogers Jr.

Anthony Nunziata's #2, which is actually TK's old Mustang, was driven by my dad in 1993. I would think that would be the car that is probably not in competition, making it your best bet, though I know it had a body change.

If you do find a car, my family would be glad to help with photos.

Mr. Bullfather I did not mean to cause any animosity. I am well aware the year is 2007. Though I would think when any reported writes a piece it should be done so accurately. If information was attainable from 1982 and prior, surely 1992 isn't too much of a stretch.

Thanks again Mr. Schenk for preserving the history of Fig 8 racing.

The Bullfather
04-28-2007, 08:40 PM
where did the resortation take place, Long Island or FLa? Tell us more.:)

Fig8 T.K.
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
John Zell's car is now the 58 car that Kenny Hyde races. He bought the car from Tommy Rogers

figure849
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
are there any earlyer cars around that are not being raced, only looking to restore cars that are out of service.

Fkraft99
04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
TK's old Mustang was the car I drove in '04 that Mike Brigandi currently owns...

figure849
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Again, that is a car that is still in service.

RickFigure8
05-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Johnny restored it here and for a number of years after that it was used in the parade laps for the Ernie Maynor memorial race. As for the older cars, I have no idea what happened to Johnnys chassis that he ran the Vega body on. That car was the 074 that had the Falcon body before we redid the car. The Probe, which got passed around between John, Ron Sprague, and George Brown, then went to Tom Rogers Jr, and is now Kenny Hyde's car. Tom's 86 championship car went from Anthony Nunziata, to Freddie, and then to Mike Brigandi, who ran it the beginning of last season and as far as I know, he moved South and took the car with him.
I don't remember if the Vega was fixed after a crash at the X when Bob Holloday was driving it. All the drivers side doorbars were bent in, almost to the steering wheel.

Rick