PDA

View Full Version : "Cars of tomorrow".......

racing#s
03-23-2007, 09:03 PM
What's the deal with this 'cars of tomorrow' stuff ? I'm not sure what to think of this new look. What was the reason for this change:confused: ?

witchin8
03-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Safer and supposedly cheaper.

LongIslandJam
03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been reading up on the Car of Tomorrow (or COT for short)

Cars are more expensive to produce, but can be used anywhere, thus reducing the need for specialized cars. Reason being is that virtually every dimension of the chassis is measured and the splitter and wing can be adjusted to each and every track. We'll see if the theory holds true, but in theory a team of 2-3 cars is all that's needed, although repairing the cars takes more time to meet the stringent dimensions.

The interesting thing to be seen is can these cars new adjustment tools (the sensitive front splitter and wings) hold up to the bumping and banging that made NASCAR popular? I guess Bristol will be a good test.

RGeeProductions
03-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Nothing for nothing, but at Bristol none of this should make any difference, spoiler/air foils/air brakes/wings that is.

LongIslandJam
03-24-2007, 06:04 AM
A little but not much, you're correct. But we'll see how the splitter and wings hold up.;)

pitbull113
03-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Aero plays a part at speeds as slow as 60 mph.

RGeeProductions
03-24-2007, 08:28 AM
It sure does, but my point is that it won't prove anything here as it would at Daytona, Pocono, Michigan, etc. These tracks will really show what the COT will do/not do for the sport.

Jaws
03-25-2007, 11:29 PM
The front air dam cuts the tires of cars it brushes.

That's not to bad at Bristol, but at Talledega, oh my.

W. J.
03-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh, I think it's safe to say NASCAR will be studying all the ramifications of their new concept in race cars after yesterday's debut. That front 'splitter' will probably be the first thing modified, so it doesn't cut tires. No matter what else we think of them (I could write an unflattering book, LOL), safety is one of NASCAR's priorities.

Uh, on another note, does anyone else think Mikey Waltrip has (or should be) retired, LOL!

310fig8
03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Walt, I thought Mikey was retired. I haven't seen him in any cup races lately.

W. J.
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
My point exactly, LOL.:lol:

The Bullfather
03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't kid yourself, there was rumours that Mikey was thinking of stepping aside for a few races to try and get his team back on par. But, like I said rumours, they are just that!!!! Yeah Jayski!lol

W. J.
03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe Mikey had trouble qualifying because he's driving the 'car of yesterday', not the 'car of tomorrow', LOL!

Or maybe the " 'Deliverance' Banjo Boys" that Mike Joy shares the broadcast booth with set up the car!!!

W. J.
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Today, after not qualifying for the first 6 races, I guess Mikey now knows that C.O.T. may stand for 'car of tomorrow' for others, but for him, it's "Curse Of Toyota", LOL!!! :lol:

Should have stayed in a Chevy, the only brand he's ever won in!!!:p

x_factor
04-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Mikey should've stayed with D.E.I

The Bullfather
04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Mikey got TONS of money to go to Toyota. Mikey was also thinking long term, how many more years does he have left racing? Mikey has teams in both Busch and Trucks, his plans was to create Cup teams. Mikey is a thinking about his future for himself and his family. He also gets tons of sponsor money, he misses two races in a row and gains another sponsor! How in the world? His sponsors know Mikey will get his teams going and that Toyota will get thier acts together by years end. They have seen what Toyota did in the truck series and time put in to make the trucks competitive with the other trucks. They also saw how Dodge did when they got back into the big leugues. Dodge did not come out of the gate blazing, it took time. Dodge had Evernham as the team to bring them to the next level in the sport. As with Evernham, Toyota is wokring with Mikey to bring them to the next level. They will get their act together, even if Mikey is not in the seat full time! But I believe his heart will keep him behind the wheel, as will NAPA! Long run, Mikey did NOT make the mistake of leaving D.E.I., Mikey was planning for the future. D.E.I. has been trying to catch up because they also have fallen behind with the times. RCR even fell behind and it took them a good 2-3 years to get back to the top with their current drivers. Go Harvick...... I also like Stewart his buddy. Their angels hahaha