PDA

View Full Version : Rules question regarding engine fire extinguisher access

rcp_ny
04-01-2007, 07:00 AM
My new car has quick-release hood and trunk pins. I know the rules say this...

# Hood and trunk must be chained shut
# Hood must have hole for fire safety if wheel wells are retained.
...but I recall back at the Labor Day race pre-race safety inspection, Pappy suggested for the future that I use hood pins so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the hood.

I also realize that Pappy is no longer our safety inspector. So I'm wondering if this rules interpretation is still true.

So specifically I have 3 questions:

1) If I have quick-release hood pins, and still have the wheel wells, do I need to cut a hole in the hood or not?

2) If I have quick-release hood pins, do I still need to chain the hood or not?

3) If I have quick-release trunk pins, do I still need to chain the trunk or not?

I'm hoping the answer is "not" for all three... it'll look much nicer that way. :)

NEETS-1
04-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry Ron but the hood will still have to be chained and w/ an access hole if you retain the wheel wells. If the car takes a hit and the pins become entangled as to not be able to open, the fire crew will not be able to gain access to the engine area.
I have seen those quick release pins break or pull through w/ some hits and the hood fly off or hang on to one side like a guillotine.
I know you want your race car to look good....but I want YOU to look good afterwards if an incident happens. :cool:

RGeeProductions
04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Billy has made some very valid points. It totally makes sense to have the hole into the hood for those reasons and the chains for safety.

rcp_ny
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the quick answer Billy!

I still have to cut the transponder hole too, so I'll have myself a big cuttin' party one of these days.

Oh, and it's gonna take a lot more than that to make me look good... before, during, OR after the race! :lol:

I so can't wait for 4/29!