PDA

View Full Version : Results-WSMT-4-28-07

kinserfan11
04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have the full results from last nites Whelen Southern Modified Tour in NC?:cheers:

RGeeProductions
04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
First I moved thread to proper area.
What race is this?
Did Southern Tour add a race?
NEXT RACE:
7/6/2007
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified
Caraway Speedway
Asheboro, NC

-----------------------------------------------
Bowman Gray [NOT A WSMT EVENT]

Burt Myers won last night’s season-opening Tucson 200 at Bowman Gray Stadium.
He said that it beat staying at home.
Myers skipped the last three races of last season but was welcomed back in fine fashion with his 24th victory at the stadium.
“Regardless of our situation over here, we wanted to come and show what we had in the first race,” said Myers, a two-time champion who hadn’t won the season-opener in six years. “We’ve got a great team and we focused on doing what we did tonight - sitting on the pole and leading laps and winning the race.”
And he did it with just seven cylinders, one less than he was supposed to have, during the last half of the race.
“The Lord was really with us on this one,” Myers said. “I was definitely talking to him near the end. Losing the cylinder really tightened my car up because I could put the gas all the way down and it wouldn’t spin.
“If we had been at a bigger track we’d have been in trouble. But two hundred laps is a long way to go and by the end of the race everybody’s tires were worn out, so the motor wasn’t as big of a factor by that point.”
Myers and Tim Brown shared a common cause last season, sitting out the final three races and expressing their disdain toward a stadium policy of determining starting lineups for 100-lap races by random draw rather than qualifying times.
They shared the front row in their return, as result of being fastest in qualifying Friday night.
Myers led the first 25 laps, until he said he slowed to avoid a strip of fluid on the track and Brown got past him.
Myers said that, at that point, with all eight cylinders, he felt he had plenty enough car to retake the lead. He did so on the 42nd lap. And Brown fell to sixth place in a resulting tangle coming out of the final turn.
“Burt got to the inside of me and the 25 car (John Smith) about knocked me in the pits,” Brown said.
Myers said that it was good that he got past Brown when he did, before he dropped the cylinder.
“We talked about it before the race - me and Tim are really pretty good friends, contrary to popular belief - and we discussed our race strategy and that neither one of us would get in a hurry and try to save something for the end,” Myers said.
“He wasn’t really interested in leading until the end. He didn’t care to run that hard at that point and gave me all the space I needed. So I went on back around him. I didn’t touch him.”
Brown, a six-time champion who finished 24th in last year’s opener, dropped out with about 30 laps left because of an overheating car. He finished 16th.
Junior Miller, the winner of last year’s opener and the stadium’s defending champion, also had a bad night.
He qualified 10th, but a broken shaft in the motor during a practice lap forced him into a backup car and a starting position at the rear of the field. He worked his way to 14th before the power steering failed, which soon led to his race-ending spin into the guardrail on the front stretch.
“Last year we couldn’t do anything wrong,” Miller said. “Tonight we couldn’t do anything right.”
Myers had to hang on in a final two-lap dash to the finish as a result of a late caution, but managed to hold off Michael Clifton. Smith finished third, Frank Fleming fourth and Bobby Hutchens fifth.
“I knew Michael was at his best on the restarts, but I knew if I could just get a little gap on him I’d probably be OK,” Myers said.
Clifton said he was too loose at the end to reel Myers in.
Myers said that he’ll probably be back for next week’s 25-lap Modified doubleheader.
“No draw race next week,” Myers said. “One week at a time.”
Kenny Bost won a 40-lap race for the Sportsman Division. Ryan Nelson won a 20-lap Street Stock race, and Michael Wells and Glenn Hamilton won 15-lap Stadium Stock races.
Bost took the lead for good from pole-starter Mitch Gales in the 18th lap in the Sportsman race. He held off Ronnie Clifton.

MODIFIED DIVISION results

207-LAP RACE
Driver (Hometown) Money

1. Burt Myers (Walnut Cove) $3,600
2. Michael Clifton (Walkertown) 1,500
3. John Smith (Mount Airy) 1,000
4. Frank Fleming (Mount Airy) 700
5. Bobby Hutchens (Lexington) 600
6. Robert Jeffreys (Winston-Salem) 550
7. Randy Butner (Pfafftown) 510
8. Jason Meyers (Walnut Cove) 480
9. Jonathan Brown (Win.-Salem) 450
10. Chris Fleming (Mount Airy) 430
11. Brad Robbins (Winston-Salem) 410
12. Lee Stimpson (Lewisville) 390
13. Lee Jeffreys (Winston-Salem) 370
14. Jeremy Stoltz (Walkertown) 350
15. Kevin Powell (Winston-Salem) 330
16. Tim Brown (Cana, Va.) 310
17. Brian Pack (Walkertown) 300
18. Junior Miller (Danbury) 390
19. Ricky Gregg (Colfax) 280
20. Matt Caldwell (Lexington) 270
21. Al Hill (Jonesville) 200

Courtesy of: www.journalnow.com
By Tommy Bowman
JOURNAL REPORTER

kinserfan11
04-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh well; I thought there was wsmt race last nite because on mod series scene I thought i saw the story?

RGeeProductions
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey, this was still a big race with MANY WSMT drivers. There is a big empty space now till the next race, July 6th at Caraway Speedway, Asheboro, NC. for the WSMT.
BTW: Story on the site you mentioned was from last weeks race.

The Bullfather
04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
the final list looks like the WSMT. lol