RGeeProductions
04-29-2007, 11:47 PM
After today:
17th Mark Martin with 6 races
37th Dale Jarrett with all 9 races in

Would have been a Mark Martin year!!!!!

W. J.
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Have to wonder where Dale Jarrett would be without the Championship Provisional starts, HUH? Way down the points list with his car owner, I guess.

Jones44
05-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Don't worry, WJ. Mr. Jarrett has now exhausted his supply of "DW rule" starting positions, and if he doesn't start to earn his way in to the field on Fridays, he'll be spending his sundays the same way his boss does!

hollywoodmic
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Quick question, how come I don't recall anyone of you folks saying anything about this procedure when Terry Labonte did the same thing for Hall Of Fame Racing?? Is it because you hate Michael Waltrip, or Toyota?? I have to laugh at the Mikey didn't make it again type stuff. Give the guy some credit he was 20th fastest and went home.
I think the system stinks. Look at Mayfield they have gone home at 3 races being in the top 25 in qualifying. I think NASCAR should look at qualifying methods, there has to be a better way. I like the idea of the top 25 being in and then doing all the go or go home cars together for the last group of starting positions, this way there is no advantage for anyother team going out early compared to late. Bottom line is NASCAR should do something, and you guys should check back in the archives for any complaints on Terry Labonte and Hall of Fame Racing using his past champion provisional to get into races just like DJ.

W. J.
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I agree, the system does stink. They shouldn't guarantee the top 35 starting positions according to points, since it does penalize someone who is doing well on a given weekend. However, someone who elects to place themselves in a position to be affected by this rule is only experiencing what the should have foreseen in the first place. Michael gets no sypmathy, Jarrett gets no more Champ provisionals, and Terry shouldn't have gotten them either. But they all played with the same rules and all benefitted or suffered because of it.

Teds Race Tours
05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't worry, WJ. Mr. Jarrett has now exhausted his supply of "DW rule" starting positions, and if he doesn't start to earn his way in to the field on Fridays, he'll be spending his sundays the same way his boss does!

Actually, the rule was put in place with the King Richard Petty in mind during his last few seasons. DW just found the best way to use it.:)

Jones44
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Actually, the rule was put in place with the King Richard Petty in mind during his last few seasons. DW just found the best way to use it.:)

But I actually LIKE Richard Petty.. why do you think I used DW's name??? :applause:

hollywoodmic
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
WJ perhaps we should start with a post of suggestions that they should do for qualifying. Me personally keep your provisionals, everyone else in on time straight up. AT this point when there is 7 spots being contested for by 10-15 teams it's just not fair. A lot of those teams are timing in the top 25 and going home. Look at Casey Mears, he's basically been involved in other peoples B.S and he is in danger of not being in the top 35, it just needs to be a better system.

Jones44
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see a set number of cars (say 30-35) get in based on time trials (regardless of points) and everyone who doesn't get in run a 50-lap or 50-mile (depending on track size) last-chance race to fill out the field... no provisionals for anyone.... ahhhhh, fantasyland.....

W. J.
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I'd like to see a set number of cars (say 30-35) get in based on time trials (regardless of points) and everyone who doesn't get in run a 50-lap or 50-mile (depending on track size) last-chance race to fill out the field... no provisionals for anyone.... ahhhhh, fantasyland.....
I second this idea. Good one Jones, but yeah, it will NEVER happen, sigh! :rolleyes:

hollywoodmic
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
That's not a bad idea Jones. Then sponsors could get their exposure on Friday or Saturday.

KickItUp
05-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Just a general question..
If one of our local Riverhead racers were doing a ton to support the sport, the racetrack, as well as bringing in more racers to the track.. if this guy who was doing all of this was trying week after week to make the field in whatever division he was running, and he wasn't qualifying, would those some of you be making jokes about him? Even if it was just some racer, who worked on his car week after week, and tried his best to qualify, and wasn't, would those same folks still be making jokes about it?
I just shake my head thinking about how racers don't support racers.. Doesn't matter what level, or what make they drive, or what sponsors they have, a racer is a racer, and that's it.. Racers shouldn't be judged on what kind of car they run, or who builds their motors, or who sponsors them..
And if they are trying week after week, to be laughed at is immature.. Unless of course those who do can put their foot where their mouth is..
And I am pretty sure DJ doesn't wake up and say to himself he isn't going to try because he has or had provisionals.. Former champs are champs no matter what.. They beat the best of the best at some point, and deserve respect, whether they qualify, don't qualify, or use provisionals..
I am just sad as to what racing on all levels has become these days..

Ace
05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
KickItUp well said! I'm surprised that we have 2 people that CONTINUE to poke fun at other people's misforture in failing to qualify for races. :mad:

art11758
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
WARNING: OFF TOPIC POST
The qualifying system isn't really. It's a formality to fill out the field. I've already ranted on here before about what I think of the whole "Cup" thing and ******* and their never ending greed. But the folks who still buy the tickets or watch on the TV either don't care, or are easily fooled. Me, I voted with my feet a while ago. I go to short tracks that feature as close to what I consider a "real" racing product. To me, that's entertainment.
As far as driver/brand bashing, some folks are just like that. Takes all kinds, knowwhatimean??

The Bullfather
05-02-2007, 10:13 PM
He heard them talking about it on Speed. It's been suggested by sponsors that they get time on the track in racing conditions. If 10 or more cars show up, let them have a dash to get into the race. NASCAR is is looking at what they can do. BUT, They did say they want to put their own "twists?" on it, so it evens the playing field...................hahahahahaha "twists?" huh? Either way do ever they do it, with a dash or not, something needs to be done. I like straight up qualifying and let the piece fly where ever they may land! EVERYONE runs to get in! Makes Cup qualifying much more important. At Talladega they noticed car where either set up to run race condition or qualifying condition ie Paul Menard. The race was an inpound race. I know some guys are good at both, but this leave room for guys just to run half/half and make sure the car is set-up to race. While others struggle to make the race.

Wheel Racing
05-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Have to wonder where Dale Jarrett would be without the Championship Provisional starts, HUH?.

Hopefully in the broadcast booth.ESPN is killing me with their announcing teams and at least DJ does a good job there.Keep Rusty Wallace home and let DJ take over full time.Forget about driving.

W. J.
05-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Hopefully in the broadcast booth.ESPN is killing me with their announcing teams and at least DJ does a good job there.Keep Rusty Wallace home and let DJ take over full time.Forget about driving.
I second the motion. Let the guy with the "I" problem stay home. Dale Jarrett did a nice job last week on the Busch Series broadcast from Talladega.