PDA

View Full Version : Modified heroes at Stafford

Fitchburg Fan
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Hope some of the "young folks" in the Modified crowd took time to meet a few of the all time legends on hand at the Spring Sizzler this weekend. Daytona 500 winner Pete Hamilton, Talledega 500 winner Ronnie Bouchard (from Fitchburg!), Indy 500 rookie of the year Denny Zimmerman ... all those guys got their start in the Mods! They brought lots of great attention to the "Coupes and Pintos" division way back when.

I also saw "The Champ" Rene Charland walking around. And also Bob Judkins, a legendary Mod owner who WON more races than many of today's Mod racers will ever ENTER!

Hope we never forget the roots of this great form of racing, the Modifieds!

Axel
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Right on Fitch! I'm bummed I could not make it to Stafford. I really wanted to see the race, but also take in some of the history.

It's not every day you can meet (and get a Flemke book signed by) Rene Charland, Pete Hamilton, Denny Zimmerman etc. I mean those guys are legends! Hat's off to Stafford for making that happen.

Next year, the Sizzler.

chrome horn
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes it was definitely a great day. Those guys talked like they were gonna go out and run the feature. Got Hamilton's auto on a die cast of his superbird. Was real neat to see them look around the track that some haven't been at in over 20 years. Thanks to Lew Boyd, Bones Bourcier and everyone involved for making the day happen.

11skmod
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
It was great to see them all sunday a little windy and cold but a great day all in all.

Goldy
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
It was a great show of support for Flemke Sr. and the Coastal 181 bunch - seeing those modified legends one place was a big thrill for me - and they all looked to be having a great time. I really enjoyed meeting Bruce Cohen and Mike Adaskaveg (two of my favorite contributors to the book) - I soaked the day in like a sponge.

If you're looking for a great addition to your book collection - pick up "Steady Eddie" - Bones did this project justice and it really is a neat read. I pick it up just about daily.
:cheers: