PDA

View Full Version : Races Cancelled

hollywoodmic
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Just got off the phone with Bob Finan, due to the weather the races have been cancelled tonight.

W. J.
05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Just so everyone knows, this week's Jam Top 5 Contest picks will carry over into next week, including the Super Pro Trucks, who'll run on Sunday next week. There is no need to re-pick, but you can edit or change as always.

modprincess8x
05-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Is it raining in Riverhead yet??? Just some clouds at Mountain right now, looks like we should get our races in. First race is going on the track right now.:applause:

Jaws
05-19-2007, 05:32 PM
So since you have a laptop at the track, you going to keep us up to date?? lol

By the way Mets 10 Yankees 7 Mets win.....Mets WIN!!!!.

j-rod
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
6:15 dry as it gets in calverton

The Bullfather
05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
J-rod I was trying to get you into a modified seat, but all drivers I asked have skinny waist lines. We have to keep looking. Maybe Jimmy Blewett has an extra ride or something. lol hmmmmmmm Freddie knowns him. :lol:

j-rod
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM
7:26 still dry here in calverton

The Bullfather
05-19-2007, 07:56 PM
8:00 PM Patchogue sitting at The Wave dry to the bone,went outside dry as a bone......... but a bit chilly. yes, I did realize I'm at a place called The Wave and I am bone dry!

W. J.
05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
On the surface, it may not look like it, but it was a good call to cancel tonight's races, as the threat of rain was real, and the COLD was even more real....
Let's face it, you're inside, watching the Cup race and warm right now, right???

Mrs. 41
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Would rather have been at the track racing though!

nobandwagonhere
05-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey J-rod....guess what...it hasnt rained in Riverhead yet......oh and by the way......I wouldve taped the race. Good call to cancel?......Not sure about that one.

PS: W.J., its spelled "races",....not "racces". Just my opinion.

W. J.
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Taping is a great thing, unless you get to watch it live, which is better, since you don't have to avoid news reports because you don't want to know who won until you watch it. I'll comment on your other opinion in a PM.

bulldozer
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
10 15 still no rain.Im watching this boring cup race.Would of been nice to wait it out an hour.I mean all the guys that travel all the way there then cancel it with a 15 minute pop up shower which they called for on friday night.The weather man was right on pop up shower then cloudy the rest of night.Im going to bed not even watching this boring cup race.

Turbo
05-19-2007, 10:18 PM
ACTION FROM LOWES!!!!!!!!! GETTING EXCITING NOW, Bobby Labonte just spun!! whoooopidy doooo...lol I think we rather tough out the cold, guys race at thompson for the ice breaker and world series under cold circumstances. We would be home by 9pm anyways from a regular night of racing by the way its been going. Oh wellllllll

The Bullfather
05-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I was about to post that, racers only like one thing.............racing! Ok they like women too. But even on cold nights, a race car can make you feel all warm inside. That or hot and bothered. lol

allhailunc
05-20-2007, 03:04 AM
This is kinda of funny-most of you saying it ain't raining and they called the races?:lol: How many nights did we sit through either misting (We're in a holding pattern-lol) or even downright pouring, just so they could get the races in? I do know that it was misting/raining at Shea, because we were there. Look at it this way-if you didn't go out, you saved yourself a bundle because if they didn't cancel, they would have found a way to get at least three heats in so that no refunds (especially for the poor unsuspecting fans) would be issued.

Jaws
05-20-2007, 11:45 AM
There would have been 100 people in the stands, it was a good move. :cheers:

Ace
05-20-2007, 01:57 PM
You're right about the 100 people in the stands. That's why it should've been cancelled much earlier, before drivers and crew made the trip!:(

W. J.
05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
You're right about the 100 people in the stands. That's why it should've been cancelled much earlier, before drivers and crew made the trip!:(
Correct, but the drivers and crew show up 3 hours earlier than the 100 people in the stands, and at noon, it was thought the night could be gotten in. It was a mangement decision, and while we may not all agree, it was their decision to make. They lost money, but not as much as they would have had they tried and gotten sloshed with rain. You can't refreeze the food, and the track employees, as fas as I know, have to be paid something for their time, and mostly all of them were there, also.

leah28racing
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey, I used to be an official and if there were no races, whether we were there or not, we didn't get paid if the show was cancelled, trust Me!

I think they could've waited it out also. There might have been 100 people in the stands, but what about all the people they get to sign in the pits?

W. J.
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
All the people who signed in the pits (paid) will be admitted next week on those same pit passes, no charge. The stands never opened, it was called that early. The stands don't open until 3 PM.

allhailunc
05-21-2007, 03:36 AM
Walt-how many times have they "not" cancelled even though the rain was there? This "pending rain" cancellation is hysterical. Are they having a change of heart towards competitors & fans?(doubt it). How many early season shows endured the mist/rain/whatever (Finan's bad jokes) just so the show coud go on (even with less than 100 people in the stands-but then again, that might be a regular crowd anyhow) so that $$$ could at least come in? The on good thing is that the drivers & crews won't have to pay this coming week. Just puzzling the sudden turn around and concern???

MOTORHEAD
05-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Because last year they had someone get angry at the ticket booth because they could not get a refund and punched the lady in the face, so now they call the night early to stop that from happening again.

art11758
05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Umm in my opinion, good call. It was to be my first visit to Riverhead this season and the weather had me guessin' all day. Being bundled up harder than I do for the Icebreaker (which is a afternoon/daytime race) isn't fun no matter how much I enjoy 30 lap Blunderbust races. And I don't bother with "cup" races anymore. Law and Order repeats are just as predictable and more entertaining.

Golf Guy
05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Over here in the East Islip to Babylon area it was misting/raining all day and night. I am surprised it was not the same in Riverhead? Either way I probably would not have left in the rain to drive out and hope it was better out there.

unowho243
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I live in islip terrace.... No rain or mist all day