PDA

View Full Version : Lia Takes CT Classic

RGeeProductions
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Donny Lia wins WMT Race #4.
Story and finish on the main page.

Goldy
05-29-2007, 10:30 AM
A couple of thoughts from this race (even though I wasn’t there)…

Congrats to Lia and the Mystic Missile bunch – the more I think about this pairing, the more potent they become.. they are hooked up - well done..

Nice to see Civali and the King team continue their quest for speed… love that wine/silver colored car..

There are many atta boy’s to hand out here – like the Cup race over the weekend, so nice to see some different names having good runs..

Sylvester, Tomaino, Houlihan, Savary, & young Ryan Preece… and me – for picking Tony to win the pole.. yippie!!

Most of all – I’m very proud Eddie Jr. and the Teto gang, digging out a podium finish – I know personally it was a very tough week for Edward and the first 3 races have been tough – a 3rd place finish must have been very rewarding.

.. and a big get well wish to Jon McKennedy.

Any other thoughts on this race?? Fill me in...

Goldy

nuclear banana
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Goldy,

Here's what I was surprised at..

The 12 not being competitive at all....same for the 79 and the 13.

Wade Cole timing in to the race!

That Eddie was able to finish 3rd...He spent more laps coming into and out of the pit than actually on the throttle, so it seemed. Not sure he ever got his car right, but it goes to show that if you hang out on the lead lap and avoid carnage for the most part, you only need to drive hard for 10 laps or so to make a difference....

TC had 'em covered by as much as he did...he'll be second guessing that pit stop for awhile....

Reg's quote - "not sure if it's the tire or whatever, but guys are fast that usually aren't and I'm not sure that's a good thing" ...given during his pit interview...after his car had it's nose shortened by three feet...I'm paraphrasing, but it was interesting to hear.

Stafford still is mostly a one groove track - bottom shot or nothing..although I did see some crossovers in three and four...

Jon McKennedy hit a ton - why couldn't they put the barriers there also...I've seen Jeff Fuller and Jerry Marquis both destroy cars hitting that same spot...

Biggest hit of the night was a T-bone in the dare stocks of all cars...ripped the cage off the frame and split the frame....both guys walked away...

Axel
05-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Goldy-- Sorry you couldn't make it FRI nite. I had a great time. The commute was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Left Flemington at 2:45 and got to Stafford at 6:45 (only 30 minutes longer than normal). Danbury traffic bad, but I sailed right thru Hartford with no sweat. Home by 2:15. Great day, no kids, no wife, just good music, awesome weather and a road-trip.

* As for the 10, I almost thought he was a lap down the number of times I saw him pit, but they really had a good race.
* Stafford, is a great track...one of my all time favorites. It is a 1 groove track, but you can pass.
* I thought TC was gonna run away with it. Not exactly sure what happened to him in turn 3. He seemed to vent his frustration at Stefanik, but I did not see anything that indicated any crazy driving by anyone in that incident.
* Lia is fast and good at Stafford. Last time I was there (Fall Final 2005) he finished 3rd with only 3 wheels.
* Glad Jon McKennedy is OK. Tough hit. They need to put Safer up on the lip part in the beginning part of turn one. Dunno if it woulda made any differnce, but it's a brutal turn.
* Pork roll sandwich (made in NJ) which I ate during the SK Lite feature. It congealed all day and tasted just about perfect! I think Jaws has some pictures.
* And of course hanging out with friends. Good to see Jaws and mini-Jaws, Chris and his crew, Mark and Jennifer and all of the rest. I missed a few people, but it was a great night all in all.

Howie
05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree with all of the above. Race was begining to get a little boring but suddenly it all got very interesting.

Unusual year that some teams are having. Good to see new teams running up front, sad to see some of the usual front runners having awful years.

Too many wrecked cars again.

Glad the news about Jon has all been positive. Get well soon Jon, missed you at Waterford Sat. night.

Biggest downer was missing Axel, Jaws, Jaws Jr., Chris and the rest of the gang. We hung out at the autograph session form 7-7:30 hoping to see someone,but saw no one. :confused:

The moisture in the air made shooting the race tough. The pictures sucked (the flash lights up all the moisture like fog), but it was only haze, no rain, so I'm happy.

Except for missing old friends, it was a good night of racing. (for me anyway).

Axel
05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
We hung out at the autograph session form 7-7:30 hoping to see someone,but saw no one. :confused:

Sorry Howie-- I did not even get to the autograph session. I figured you and Fran were already in the infield. Since we did not have a meeting place lined up, I will give you a ring next time so we can connect.

That's 2x I've missed you compeltely at Stafford. Is it you or is it me? (Dont answer that!)
-Axel

ThE sHaDoW
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I think if you had a signature you would be able to catch up with Howie :) :) :wave:

Teds Race Tours
05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes, Its got to be the Signature!!!!:)

Howie, you can catch up with Axel at Riverhead, as he has guaranteed me he'll be going.

Axel
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
no signature for you.

Yes, I will be at Riverhead. It's on the calendar. An alien invasion could not keep me away. (attributed to Goldy)

Goldy
05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Hummm - Riverhead, that's a possibility... a hot night on the island, cold beer, Flash format... Hummm...

I think there are already a few Alien types down there... Baxter..

But thanks for the Stafford lowdown gang.. Where is Fran anyway? I think he's working too hard..

You can get that occasional battle at Stafford (that Reggie/Civali battle of last year comes to mind) – but mostly it’s a lot of single file racing as soon as they can settle in. Still love the track though - Thompson does it for me these days and I do hope to get back to NHIS where the modified racing rules.

Was also nice to see Beers leading with his new team – was that a solo spin?

Howard, I do dig that angle of your daytime shots from Stafford… whereabouts where you, the TV tower in turn one?.. or is that a undisclosed, top secret location? Chopper One perhaps, the Airship Hodge?

ThE sHaDoW
05-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes a solo spin for the 94.

I think those were shot from the flagger stand?

Howie
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Shot taken from the starters stand wins.

The next flashes races will be interesting.

Catch Axel at Riverhead??? Saw him briefly at Wall, missed him at Stafford. Finding him at Riverhead may be a challange, but I'm up to trying it.

Axel
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Follow the pork roll sandwich.

(note I DO who have a signature now.)

No Business
05-31-2007, 09:27 AM
I'd like to know who Reggie was referring to in his quote. In the past two seasons he has destroyed more good equipment than anybody else.....

ThE sHaDoW
05-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd like to know who Reggie was referring to in his quote. In the past two seasons he has destroyed more good equipment than anybody else.....

My guess, himself?

Teds Race Tours
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Hummm - Riverhead, that's a possibility... a hot night on the island, cold beer, Flash format... Hummm...

I think there are already a few Alien types down there... Baxter..

Goldy, you are on to me. I only came to this planet for the Hot Wings.:cheers: