PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for future races...

enduroracer131
05-29-2007, 06:11 AM
During the 4cyl race yesterday, the black flag came out as I drove past Matt the flagger, I had gone around 3 times and each time he put the black flag out as I went by, I tried to look around but my field of vision to the sides is bad and I didn't see the car that was really getting black flagged, I ended up pulling into the pits and losing a lap or 2 because I thought maybe something was wrong with my car, and it was then I found out the flag wasn't for me, so I went back out and finished 7th. Now I'm not blaming anyone, stuff happened, no big deal, but I would like to know if we could use a scanner with ear phones again so we can hear what the flagger is saying, so this doesn't happen again? I know the first season I raced we all got the frequency, so we could hear the flagger saying how many laps it was and who was getting black flagged. I would really like to see this again, especially because MVS is so small and everyone is right next to each other. Let me know what you think Billy.

spier racing 93
05-29-2007, 06:44 AM
How about a small chalk board or something that the flagger could write the number of the black flagged car on?

Erin C
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
I think we would all rather see Matt focus on the cars than worry about writing down a number on a board...he's a good head flagger and watches everyone like a hawk!

Ryan,
I am going to get back to you on this. I didn't know that you used to run scanners. Let me talk to dad and see what he has to say because I did see this happen. I don't think you saw but our turn 4 flagger was also giving the number 18 the black flag (he had a pretty bad fuel leak, black flagged 3 times) but you were always right there with him the first time he finally figured it out it was for him. I saw you come into the pits and hoped you didnt think it was for you.

I'll talk to him probably tomorrow at the latest about this and see what he says. I know that scanners are cheap but at the same time we have to remember that this is an enduro series. If someone was being black flagged and didn't watch for it we would throw a red to stop the car and let them know what is going on. It is all about awareness on the track.

I'll let you know what happens.

PS....your car looked great! I loved it! :cheers:

rpkulik
05-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Some of us low-buck operators would appreciate if scanners were OPTIONAL.

Erin C
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I could see it being an OPTION, but again...that is dad's call...

I could not see this being made mandatory because, again, it is an enduro series.

CJfilms
05-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I spoke to Billy about this before. The cheap aspect of NEETS racing goes out when you start to add in luxuries as such.

Ryan, I am sorry that had to happen the way it did...you were running great, but at least you understand that things happen. Scanners are a no go for one reason...not everyone can/will afford one. The new guys who race their first race and don't have one will be in the dark and will most likely be an obstacle if we are telling them to pit and they have no radio. The chalk board idea is good, however, if someone isn't even watching for a black flag...how likely is it for them to look up and notice their #. It would solve the problem you had...the wrong car won't pit. I would like to try doing something like so....maybe chalk/dry erase board for the gate flagger...turn 4. Matt has too much to worry about to stop and write a number down.

I have a dry erase board at my house...I'll pick up some markers and we can give it a shot at the next event. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't make a difference at least we know it won't work and we can try something else.

By the way...before the #18 driver feels like we are bashing him... When I drove in the enduros...as scary as that may be...I didn't always look at the flagger everytime I passed him. I know that when you are in the heat of things, worrying about anything less than a black flag is usually not the pinacle of your concentration. And yes, MVS is small and you are all bunched at times, so confusion is bound happen at some point or another.

enduroracer131
05-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Ok, that's not a problem. Like I said before, stuff happens. I think the dry erase board is a good idea.:cheers: