fisherman
06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Why was the 81 DQ'ed?

W. J.
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Illegal part.

fastgal
06-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Indeed it was a illegal part; but it is the type of part that is at issue.

Biltor57
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
What exactly was the part?

W. J.
06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
We at LI Jam are working to get that answer, so that the correct information is given out, not the usual uninformed innuendo.

We have a quote from Chris taken from a previously deleted (not by LI Jam) post that may satisfy the questions:

"An illegal part was in my car and that's that. DQ. Our class isn't a Nascar sanctioned class so will see. I want to let my sponsors and all other people know I'm sorry and if I race next week, I'll show you it didn't help."

RacinRob
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.riverheadraceway.com/rreye.html

Golf Guy
06-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Here is how Bob Finan in his "Eye on Riverhead" has reported it:

"Chris Turbush #81 was DQ’D on the night for having traction control. This is the first driver ever at Riverhead Raceway to get caught with the device. Chris hopes to return this week and from what we hear will be allowed to with sanctions to redeem himself"

nflobster
06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I heard something like that. I guess that's a costly little bugger; oops "illegal part"

Turbo
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
All it was was a waste of money, and an embarassment which could have cost him a chance at the point championship. I can guarantee the car is just as fast without that thing!!

turn1cowboy
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
The 81 was always up front last year and this year. Chris (BUB) Turbush can just flat out drive. I bet he wins this week!!! 81 81 81 yeah BUB.

RACENUT
06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
he was always up front until he spins out by himself.

Fkraft99
06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
That had nothing to do with the cars handling... that was just Bub getting himself into places that he didn't need to be, at the wrong times. It was a terrible waste for Bub, because he was just as fast, if not faster, last year. I'm sure he regrets it and will come back ready for bear this week....

c'monnnn cranberry.. lol

unowho243
06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Am I surprised....? No, because most of the cars out there are running some sort of illegal parts to get "THE EDGE". Regardless if he had the part or not, Chris can drive.... I don't think the part made a difference in his case... you can put him in any car out there and he would still pass more than half the field......
Don't let all the talk get to you Bub, you have skill and that's a lot more then I can say for some others out there.

fastgal
06-06-2007, 06:07 AM
It sounds like the popular opinion is traction control doesn't mean much as far as cheating. In my opinion, this is the worst possible form of it. There are things done to chassis for better handling, carbs that are worked and tires that get altered; then when you put in the traction control, that's a whole other ball game. I'm not saying the kid can't drive, but traction control is a driver's aid more than the other stuff is. The track should not take this lightly. Isn't the punishment for altered tires a $2500.00 fine, loss of points and starting last for 3 weeks? This should be more severe than that. This isn't the first time that this car has had a problem with tech; altered crossmember, altered control arms. There is pushing the envelope and then there is blatant disregard/respect of the the rules. This is a blatant and a totally disrespectfull violation of the rules, spirit of the rules; and should have the harshest punishment ever handed down. Too bad they can't take his points for the year, because only he knows how long it was in the car.

Golf Guy
06-06-2007, 06:51 AM
That had nothing to do with the car's handling... that was just Bub getting himself into places that he didn't need to be, at the wrong times. It was a terrible waste for Bub, because he was just as fast, if not faster, last year. I'm sure he regrets it and will come back ready for bear this week....

c'monnnn cranberry.. lol

Isn't traction control a device that makles the car handle better and make it much easier to drive? Not saying Chris isn't a good driver, in fact I think he is a real talented driver, but come on?

Mortgage Guy
06-06-2007, 08:07 AM
I for one, after speaking to him yesterday, know he is embarrassed. Like I said to him, it was not something he needed and I think he will be able to prove it this week. As far as a fine Fast Gal, I think the loss of the device is fine enough, they are pretty expensive. Learn from your mistakes and make yourself a better driver. Good luck this week, I will be watching from the back of the pack on Saturday.

fastgal
06-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Well, if I were to get caught with altered tires and got a $2500.00 fine over $30.00 gallon of stuff, I would be livid if no fine over a big dollar illegal item.

Fkraft99
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I was referring to someone that said Bub ran well last year until he spun himself out. Like he needed the TC to prevent that this year... but when Bub spun himself out last year, 90% of the time it was because he was diving in holes, when he didn't need to, going INTO the corner and then jumping on the brakes.... all the Traction Control in the world isn't going to prevent that. I did not say it's impossible that it was helping him... but look at his Time Trial times... they were the same last year as they are this year. I think you need to have big horsepower and lots of wheel spin for TC to be effective. Something I DON'T think you have in a Charger car. That's what I mean by not being very effective. If it was a modified, or even a Late Model, I think it would be much more of an advantage. But I'm sure we don't have to sit here and speculate. Just watch the 81 this week.... I highly doubt you'll see much of a difference..

Also, I do agree with fastgal, the punishment for TC should be the same if not worse then the penalty for getting caught with soaked tires. But I don't know the details of Bubs sanctions, so I don't really want to comment on that.

Bub, please don't spin yourself out this week, or I'm gonna look like a real fool... lol

art11758
06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Y'know what's sad? Regardless of what the "illegal part" was, it taints a lot of the accomplishments for anyone who is caught. That's a price that is tough to pay.

catfish
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
another .02

And regardless what anyone says, who knows how long it really has been in the car ?

bulldozer
06-06-2007, 01:35 PM
You all can have your opinion and you all can have your thoughts on what the penalty should be.The officals have talked to Jerry Cook and they have set the penalty. I will live with this for a long time because I know i have been driving my *** off every week in a loose car. This thing was supposed to help, but if you watch my car, it was sideways at least 10 times on Saturday. I really did not feel a difference. As far as this is a better device than juice, you are way wrong. I'm sure you can ask half the modifieds that are probably running traction control what they would rather have, juice or traction control, and I guarantee they would choose juice. That's right, I'm sure there are plenty of teams that have it, but have the more expensive one that you carry on you. Racing you always try to find the edge and sometimes you cross the line, and I did. But I'm no different than the 8 car in Nextel Cup, or the 17, or the 48, who had penalties for illegal parts, devices and whatever. In my heart I feel terrible because I know I would be the leader in points regardless. I guess it's just like driving on the expressway, you know the speed limit is 55, but I don't know anyone who does only 55. So I guess a lot of people break the law or rules. I guess these next weeks will tell if it really did help and if you think so, its your opinion and you have the right to feel anyway you want. SO, if you want to right more negative stuff, that's fine. It's not nearly half of what I am saying to myself.

fastgal
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your answer and good luck Saturday. When something like this happens, there is rampant speculation and half of what you hear is bogus and the other half is usually bull.. well you get it. Good luck again.

Turbo
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Typical answer you would get from someone, "How long has he had it?". I'd bet my insulin pump on it that he had it only 3 races.

modified_fan
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
As far as this is a better device than juice, you are way wrong. I'm sure you can ask half the modifieds that are probably running traction control what they would rather have, juice or traction control, and I guarantee they would choose juice. That's right, I'm sure there are plenty of teams that have it, but have the more expensive one that you carry on you.

As a modified sponsor, if my team can't win ethically, then why would I want one of my company's names on the car? My team knows this quite well. The day they 'juice' is the last year they have my support.

Way too often winning cars 'need' to burn off their tires prior to victory lane. Juicing frustrates the a good portion of the mod community, many of which have said why bother financing an effort to race anymore. If the track can't police it, then let all do it. It should be one way or the other!

I like the competition, yet at the end of the day I want to hang my head high that I did the right thing. New management is trying hard to blow a new positive wind into our track.

Let's pray they succeed before racing on Long Island is just a memory.

ernnKoct
06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
At first I wasn't gonna write anything on this thread, because people would probably think I'm young, how would I know anything about this? But no matter how old I am; my father's been racing my entire life, I've been around racing since day one & I've heard plenty of stories - over and over again, so I think I know a thing or two about racing. One thing I'm completely sure of is that I watch Chris, every week. So, yeah I've seen him on the last lap get himself into a sticky situation and spin himself out, I doubt he's the first and only driver to ever do it. He's fast, pretty much everyone knows it. No one really knows how long the illegal part was actually in the car except for Chris. I dont blame him for not telling everyone, keeps people guessing how talented he really is. As for the punishment goes, I think the punishment he got from the officials & the humiliation is enough damage to teach him. No fine needed. Chris is probably my favorite driver at Riverhead (except my dad and brother Freddie, of course), because no matter how many mistakes I watch him make, I know he just keeps learning from them and its making him a better race car driver.

lindskoct72
06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
My family has been in racing their whole life and I was going to the track since I was 2, and personally I think Chris is the best driver out in the pack. He can prove you all wrong that he can handle his car amazingly without the part and I bet you other people use it. So Turbush will show you people the next few races, as he starts in the rear, that he can work his way up between 10-15 laps.

Biltor57
06-06-2007, 10:49 PM
If it is not an advantage like everybody is saying than why not let it become legal. Even better, let's not even abide by any rules.

ernnKoct
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Everyone can say what they want, but we'll see how much of a difference it makes on Saturday night. I doubt it will change anything but thats just me. All I'm sure of is that I will be there cheering for Chris when he goes from the rear of the field, right to the front.

44Magnum
06-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Modified Fan:

You hit the nail right on the head. Cheating is cheating. PERIOD!

What has truly amazed me is how many posters on this thread are trying to rationalize what has happened here. One writer suggests that the "humiliation" of getting caught is sufficient punishment for, and that no fine should be imposed. That's the same lame nonsense we hear every time some corrupt politician gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Chris himself confesses that he is "embarrassed." Embarrassed about what? That he was cheating, or that he got caught?! He apparently wasn't too embarrassed to install and knowingly compete with a part that is at the very top of NASCAR's "S**t List"--for how many races, only he and his crew know.

And I don't want to hear that "everyone cheats." That's nothing but a cop-out. Everyone DOESN'T cheat. I have worked for several years for a driver who has always played by the rules. And, as "old-fashioned" as this may sound in light of many of the opinions expressed on this thread, I wouldn't work with, or for, anyone who cheated.

I have been a constant voice for having a level playing field for every single driver who goes out there and risks his or her life on the racetrack. I have been a constant critic of biased officiating because it tilts the playing field. A driver who knowingly cheats is no different from a biased official. Both of them cheat the honest drivers, crews and fans.

Look at the size of the fields and the numbers of fans in the stands. Drivers and fans aren't dumb; they have voted with their feet. Even with gasoline prices being as high as they are, many Long Island drivers have opted to race out of state because they feel they get a fairer shake than at their local track. That's a real shame.

I for one hope that the new co-Chief Stewards, Jim Maggio and Mike Cappiello, make an example out of this driver and penalize him to the maximum extent allowed by NASCAR. That will go a long way toward restoring Riverhead's tattered credibility.

mod fan99
06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
44Magnum...........AMEN

broz
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
HERE HERE!!! Magnum....very well put and should be the last thing said regarding this subject. :wave:

Biltor57
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
44 Magnum that is a big heck yes. I Myself could not understand why everone is talking like it is no big deal, and he will show everyone this week he did not need it. That is not the big picture you screwed up and now it is time to Pay the piper.
You know what I have nothing against the Kid but, (You do the Crime, you must pay your Time.)

Turbo
06-08-2007, 12:45 AM
The 81 will be at the track!!!!!!!!! :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-(
It is what it is, sorry to disappoint everyone.... :drool:

fisherman
06-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Well with only 15 cars running, starting last will be like winning the feature 2weeks in a row, so Chris just needs to win and be llleeegggaaalll and have fun.

44Magnum
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
The 81 will be at the track!!!!!!!!! :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-(
It is what it is, sorry to disappoint everyone.... :drool:

Turbo:

With all due respect, I think maybe you just don't get it....:rolleyes:

bulldozer
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
LIke i said before i heard from jerry cook i got my letter and i got my fine.I hope this is a leason to all others.Dont waste your money on something you really dont need at riverhead raceway or any where else.To win $220.00. Its illegal period.But i know there are plenty of guys out here that have this but have the more exspensive ones that will never be detected so i hope all of them are reading this post also.Hopefully there be a new post next week about something good that happened and everyone can voice there opion on that.Like the heat race that daryn miller won his first checkered,you know postive stuff.Chris Turbush

Turbo
06-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Guess I dont understand you, and apparently Nascar officials do not either?! But I hear where ya coming from George! What ya gonna do though.... life goes on.

Fkraft99
06-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Personally, I think Bub should be suspended for like 3-4 years... fined I dunno 5-6 grand. And when he comes back he should have to race without a left front tire. That should be about right, I think... lol

FORGET IT.... Let's Go Racing...

modified_fan
06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I guess what is bothersome to me is the attitude that 'guilt' starts only when someone is caught cheating. Otherwise it seems that cheating is fine. Juicing.....TC......whatever.....if one is not caught.....then NO PROBLEM!

And.....cheating supposedly is fine because the Nextel dudes look for any advantages too, illegal or otherwise??? Then thank God my parents did not use Nextel dudes as role models to teach me right and wrong.

I truly have no problem with the penalty. Heck, this is a Riverhead driver whose clan I usually pull for, and I'm certain will continue to root for. I'm glad the 81 will be racing this week.

I just hope that a lesson is learned here.

Somehow........reading the posts.......I sadly think......not.

wayne
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey T.C., Thanks For The Help Last Night.

Turbo
06-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Modified fan, just talk to him at the track if you're worried about if he is not gonna learn his lesson. Then you can assume if he is or not!!

The Bullfather
06-08-2007, 06:54 PM
no left tire sounds awesome, but you must add that the right rear must be run on a dounut too!

Let's all bring this post to an end. I'm sure Chris will talk to you if you confront him about the subject. He said his peace here and we've read your peace. What it comes down too is what Nascar and Riverhead officials bring down on him in the end. And so............. racing is tommorrow!

FURacing
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
good luck t.c....get out there and show them all the real deal now!!!!

RickFigure8
06-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I was surprised when I heard Chris was DQ'd for traction control. My feelings were why did he. He's good, he didn't need it. Going back to the days when people swore JR had it my feelings were still the same. Most of us have built-in traction control. It's in our right foot. Traction control does not make your car go faster. It eliminates the driver error of pushing the right foot down too far, too soon. Remember it does not make your tires stick better, or put more weight on your rear wheels, it drops horsepower to stop the spinning of the rear wheels. Less horsepower = slower off the corner, not faster. Faster if you're turning the car sideways half the laps but no faster if you are able to come off the corner strong all on your own. Some other forms of cheating mentioned here do make it faster, consistantly faster. These devices are not cheap so I would say Chris did get a fairly healthy fine by losing it. I'm sure it's a split feeling if there should be a point loss or not. As far as most of the cars having some form of cheating, I very much doubt that. Some reading around the rules, yes probably, but not so much having illegal devices or parts on the cars. Take a look at the video at this site. http://moretraction.com Pretty interesting. Chris or Dan mentioned some of these devices can be kept right in the drivers pocket. Three wires. 12+, Ground and a sensing wire. Unplug a small wire when you get out of the car and it stays in your pocket. Expensive and all a waste in my eyes. Although Fred, your uncle could have used it. In the later years at Islip Johnny holds the record for most spins coming off the turns, lol. Well, I'm sure Chris is going to run just as good as he always has. You won't see a difference. I'm also sure the debate over the fine will continue too.
Rick

bulldozer
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I guess there are no compliments when you do something good. Like starting last and getting 2nd. There is only opinions and harsh words when something goes bad. Sorry world we live in.:)

wayne
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Bub Sucks!!! LOL.THANKS FOR COMMING TO THE TRACK SUNDAY.