PDA

View Full Version : Rochelle Flip

Victory Lane
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFo8BEY7hY

W. J.
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Very scary. I hope all were okay. It shows why the starter's stand should be better protected (and higher!!!). I know it was a freak accident, but it proved it can happen, and if nothing is changed for the safety of the flagger (and drivers), then something is VERY wrong.

intense1
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Walter,
Both driver(Jason Rochelle) and head flagger(Chris Walk) were A-OK. Jason returned to the grandstands to join his family and watch his brother battle for the win in the Legends feature.
Actually, the fact that the flag stand was ground level helped Chris take evasive action as he was able to dive out of the way. If he had been enclosed in an elevated flag stand, it may have been much worse.
That video shows, just HOW FAST something can happen...

W. J.
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Mike,
He was able to dive out of the way becasue he was probably watching those cars come around off turn 4. Had he been looking elsewhere, such as at a different group of cars that had just passed, the outcome, sadly, could be different. Nothing short of thick, heavy steel I-beams, braced with minimum 3/4 inch steel braided cables, should be between flaggers and racecars.
I am glad that the outcome was what it was, let's hope it's always so.

LongIslandJam
06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know how Mountain could make it safer. That car got extremely high. Every flagman knows the dangers and the best safety they have is a way to evacuate.

How many tracks have I-beams protecting the starter stand?

If the track were to use a higher stand (from what I saw, to have avoided that, it needs to be at least 15 feet higher), would he be as visible to the cars to see the flag? Just throwing some ideas out.

W. J.
06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
How many tracks have I-beams protecting the starter stand?
Not enough. The I-Beam protection would be more than adequate on a stand alone basis. It certainly would have kicked that car back away from the stand, making any escape unnecessary.
I haven't been to Wall Township in a number of years, but after losing their starter in a racing accident a few years ago, I bet they made some changes for the better.

KyleMac45
06-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey When was this... I was just wondering??

Thanx,
Kyle McGowan

witchin8
06-05-2007, 10:18 PM
This past Saturday night.

EnduroFromDE
06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I still dont think 15 or even 20 fEEt would make a difference. If that was a street stock or mod.(even though they would probably not flip like that), but if they did, a mod is what, 13 feet long maybe, that car got over 8 feet off the ground. That means a mod. or street stocks highest piont would be about 20 feet of the ground. Plus someone mentioned diving out of the way. A 20 foot leap with out bracing yourself is an easy leg breaker. These people are crazy enough themseves. I remember when Matt, the Enduro flagger, took the leap of faith oNTO the track, thinking he was that rock dude from the fantastic 4 and was going to stop 20 Monte Carlos and Caddys. Luckily when the smoke cleared, he was STILL STANDING in the middle of a 20 car pile-up. These people do take a large risk every Fri., Sat. and Sun. night to do something they love, and I'm glad to see everone walked away from this one.

88racer
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I just wanted to say that we're glad Jason is ok...:applause: what a wicked ride...

Zig, Sue, Jackie and Jake Ziegler
88 LM

Teds Race Tours
06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I have been of the belief, for a while now, that a starters stand should be a thing of the past. There isn't anything a flagman can do that a good light system can not. Its time to take the next step in racing safety, before this can happen again, with a much worse result.

W. J.
06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: ^:applause: :applause: :applause: