PDA

View Full Version : Doug Coby to compete in Waterford True Value Modified Event

Howie
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
(MILFORD, CT) – On Saturday, June 9, the cars of the True Value Modified Racing Series will make their second appearance at the Waterford Speedbowl for a 100-lap tour-type Modified showdown. Doug Coby will be joining the list of Speedbowl regulars who will be doing “double-duty” in both the SK Modified and True Value Modified events. Currently 4th in the Speedbowl’s SK Modified point standings, Coby will be attempting to make his first TVMRS start and will be piloting the #63 owned by Mike Ryan of Springfield, Massachusetts.

“Mike helps us on the SK every week and said to me early in the season, ‘If I had a car and put it together for the True Value race, would you drive it?’ I was thinking he was joking and said, ‘Yeah sure’. Well a few weeks later he asked me if I was ready to go practice it, and sure enough, we went to the Speedbowl one Thursday to shake it down,” said Doug.

The black and white #63 is a Troyer chassis that last saw racing competition in 2002 at Twin State Speedway in New Hampshire. Sponsorship for Coby’s entry comes from Shadow’s Candle Company and the Bolles Kart Racing Series presented by Wild Thing Karts. After their test session, Doug is optimistic about his team’s chances to make the race and contend for the win.

“We had a few problems early on in the test session, but once we got going, the car handled pretty good. I know there will be a ton of cars there on Saturday, so just making the race will be the first battle we’ll have to fight. They’re expecting over 50 cars for only 24 starting spots, so it’s going to be tough. It should be fun for me and fun for the crew though. If we can stay out of trouble, I think we’ll have a pretty good shot at running really well,” said Doug.

Doug is no stranger to success in a tour-type modified at Waterford, having recorded some of his most impressive runs in a NASCAR Whelen Modified tour car there. His best finish at Waterford was a second place run in August of 2005, and he led many laps in a race in 2004 before retiring with clutch problems.
“Running a tour-type Modified at Waterford is really fun,” said Doug, “It’s one of the best 1/3 mile tracks out there for Modifieds to race on. It isn’t going to be easy to get into the show, and even if we do that, it isn’t going to be easy to survive all 100-laps. The last race these guys had there was a disaster with caution after caution taking out a lot of good cars. If we can stay out of trouble though, look out, because I’ll put the six-three in the outside groove to put on a show for the fans!”

Shadow’s Candle Company sells only the finest candles from The Yankee Candle Company, Inc. and Bridgewater Candle Company. Check out their online store at www.shadowscandlecompany.com and browse through hundreds of different candle products at discounted prices. Bolles Kart Racing Series presented by Wild Thing Karts is a series for racers ages 5 and up, and competes on Monday nights at the Stafford Motor Speedway. Visit www.wildthingkarts.com for more details. Stay tuned for next week’s updates on the #10 SK Modified and the #63 True Value Modified!

WillyKJr
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Now THAT will add to the excitement for sure. TVMRS folks have been putting on some good shows and Waterford is shaping up to be another beauty. Lots of good shoes in that event with Mod experience AND Waterford experience. Reeeeally starting to like the TVMRS formula.