PDA

View Full Version : A dead horse...not

nflobster
06-23-2007, 11:52 PM
After reading the board for the last week about what the 67 has said and done, delivers a k.o. to the 00... how sad is that? :disgusted

W. J.
06-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I ask that all please be careful about what is posted here until all the news is released. There are ongoing developments still to be reported, so a little restraint would be nice.

wayne
06-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Giddy...up!!!!!!!

fisherman
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
So what happened?

Tower Man
06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
W.J....

Let the people speak. Opinions are what this board was made for. The fact is another DQ was handed out. And yes it is sad that it is the same driver. The news was released 15 minutes after the finish was posted.That is a fact.

W. J.
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
No one ever said the people can't speak, but we do request no wild ranting over this turn of events. I believe the officials did all that was necessary in light of the events that transpired, and as with all other situations like this, people sitting in different places saw things from their own perspectives. I'm sure we'll hear from many of them. My version of the story can be found on the main page of LI Jam.

fisherman
06-24-2007, 12:03 PM
WJ, no story as of 12:06 on main page.

W. J.
06-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Not surprising since I just finished it. Give it an hour or so. (The ink needs to dry, LOL- J/K)

RGeeProductions
06-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Deadline for story submitting is 12pm next day.
I just put it up.
Every Xmas I ask for that elusive Superman outfit but still waiting. 51 years now!!! LOL

W. J.
06-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Ah, the ink has indeed dried. Thanks Richie!!!

leah28racing
06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Wayne put Tommy in the wall and that's it. Tommy passed him clean.There was no reason for Wayne to do that. I've lost all respect for Wayne now. So have other people. He's lost sponsors and friends because of what he did. All because Tommy "The Wild Child" Walkowiak out drove the 67. (It's not because of his Enduro mentality). Someone drove like it was a demo out there. I guess Wayne"s mentality is "If you can't beat him,even by having illegal parts in his car,put them in the wall".

Gravel
06-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, this kind of thing will continue to happen until they start sitting drivers for a couple of weeks. Everyone here knows me. I'm not afraid to speak my mind. Wayne, dude, you lost tons of respect from everyone.

The Bullfather
06-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Agreed from most of the people sitting on the backstretch. Most people believe it was done with intent. I just want to say I was glad to hear and also see later on that Tommy was ok after the wreck. His car hit the wall nose first, he could have been seriously injuried. Not sure the damage done to his car, it didn't look as bad as it looked. Good thing Bumper boy was there..http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=25712

I'd like to see the video before I come to further conclusion. yes I have to think journalistic. But if you where near by it didn't sound like it.lol

Dennisc
06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I was having a bad day (yet again) very low oil pressure and overheating caused me to sit in the infield, where I saw Wayne deliberately hit the 00.

The Bullfather
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I did see the left hand at 12 o clock........hmmm:rolleyes:

N.Y. racing
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Wayne put Tommy in the wall and that's it. Tommy passed him clean.There was no reason for Wayne to do that. I've lost all respect for Wayne now. So have other people. He's lost sponsors and friends because of what he did. All because Tommy "The Wild Child" Walkowiack out drove the 67. (It's not because of his Enduro mentality). Someone drove like it was a demo out there. I guess Wayne"s mentality is "If you can't beat him, put them in the wall".

Its a darn shame that people that have experience, especially, would do such an amateur move.

Golf Guy
06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I was not there to see the incident, but I did see the carnage first hand this afternoon and it is extensive. The car will not be ready for a few weeks and alternate plans are being made for Tommy to drive.

The Bullfather
06-24-2007, 07:39 PM
What a shame.To what extent is the damage? How bent is the chasis? Hopefully the motor didn't recieve too much damage. Also there is always the car he did cut his teeth in, in winning, Ronny Lagdon car.

jimwhite
06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
The car is a total loss from the firefall forward; it needs a new clip and all suspension parts, but we'll be back.

WEEZER
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Did the #00 chip the #67's paint?? Or did the #00 do a driver change, like last week, and put a 16 yr old female in the car and the #67 had to bully the car??
It's ironic that last year when the #67 and (I believe) the #1 had a demo derby after the feature and there WAS a demo that night. Also has a demo last night in the feature and (believe it or not) there was a demo later that night!! WOW!!! And while I'm stirring the pot, looks like a 16 yr old rookie GIRL finished better than a blundercup car 2 weeks in row.

cuzzzy59
06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Well let me add a little tid bit here. Now we have seen a lot of "retaliation" on and off the track. So I guess what I need to ask is shouldn't the 00 receive a penalty for attacking another driver who was still strapped in his car?? Or do we forget about that part due to heavy damage on Tom's car? Yes, it was a terrible accident and I'm glad he's ok, but what he did by jumping out of the car was dangerous first and foremost to himself, and a total lapse of better judgement [childish]. And until the officials really put things in order, this will continue. And it's not only in the blunderbusts, it's in all divisions. :confused:

Tower Man
06-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Emotions can run high, believe me, I know. What needs to be addressed here is not the fact that the 67 DID IT AGAIN, or that the 00 got out of his car to confront the 67. No! What needs to be addressed here is the lack of discipline on the part of the officials. Sorry guys, (Mike, Jim, et, al), MOST of my crew spent all week and many hours repairing a car that was wrecked, purposely. No black flag. No trip to the NASCAR trailer. The DQ for the rear was not enough punishment.

I learned early in my officiating career to deal with issues as they arise or the race teams will deal with it themselves on the race track. Then innocent teams get caught in the crossfire. Then the dominos start to fall and the snowball gets bigger. Then someone gets injured. Then it's too late.

RGeeProductions
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I learned early in my officiating career to deal with issues as they arise or the race teams will deal with it themselves on the race track. Then innocent teams get caught in the crossfire. Then the dominos start to fall and the snowball gets bigger. Then someone gets injured. Then it's too late.
Very good point...

leah28racing
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
First of all, I think Tommy got out of his car and ran towards Wayne because after last weeks comment he made in his speech, they talked and everything was supposedly ok. Wayne goes and puts him in the wall anyway. Wayne is the Rowdy and everyone else is Cole Trickle. But who lost in the end? Wasn't Cole Trickle. All in favor of Wayne to be suspended for the year, say I.

GOTA LOVE RACIN
06-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I heard what happened. As far as Tommy getting in trouble for jumping out of his car, it is a crock. Wayne, what happened to you? If someone has something against each other, just stay away. You do not put someone in a wall that not only damages his car..................but HIS LIFE. That wall does not move.
Wayne, you need to look out of the track as an outsider, we all do stupid thing's, but in reality, you do Not put someone in the wall.
In Florida if you did that at our local track, you would have been locked up. Anyone that put someone into a wall or spun someone else out gets locked up right then and there for assault.

leah28racing
06-25-2007, 09:46 AM
If that was the case here there would be people locked up haha!!!

KickItUp
06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I say IIIIIIIIII as well for that suspension. And I think the rest of the season is not long enough. Dumping happens, we all know that, but to openly admit to it the week before, threaten it, and then carry it out. Well, that deserves more than a vacation in my opinion. That was dangerous, and a dangerous place to hit no less.. These aren't little kiddie rides, these are 4200 pound tanks. I have been saying this all season, he is a bully in that car, and has been threatening drivers and wrecking cars each week..

Very glad the 00 was not hurt, and becuse this was supposed to be a "friend" he was racing with, the 67 deserved more than that little attempted beating he got from him..

jimwhite
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
To CUZZY59,

I don't know if you're a driver or work on a car, but put yourself in Tommy's place, and what would you have done? THE SAME THING!:mad:

Charlie's Angel
06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
All I can say is that I'm not exactly a 00 fan but he waited for his opening and completely passed Wayne clean. He deserved that win. It was such a sad thing to witness.

Like I said a few years ago when I made my first post about "rudeness at the track" He was extremely rude then to my guests. After seeing his actions ON the track.. I guess I should consider myself and my guests lucky as at least we weren't attacked physically as Jessica and Tommy were. But now it proves my point of what kind of person he is. I know at the time many people jumped to his defense and couldn't believe that such a "nice" guy would act like that, but now the entire Riverhead racing community saw it firsthand. That there are really two sides to Wayne Okula.

Lastly, I'd like to congratulate Artie on his win. Sorry to Tommy but I'm very happy for Artie!:p

blunderbust8
06-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I was also in the infeild due to an earlier accident, and what Wayne did was not an accident at all. I was one of the closest cars to it.

sround
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Wayne! What was that? I've heard of sore losers but doing what you did is just plain low! How would you feel is someone did that to you? I thought you guys were friends? Cheating is one thing, But putting someones life in danger is stupid! I hope, for what you did, you get at least the rest of this year and next year to boot. (If the track is still there).
On the other hand..... Classy move by Doug Wholey for doing what you did!

cuzzzy59
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
To Jim White, some people would have done the same, for me I can't say what I would've done [maybe maybe not]. But like tower man has put, the shift in blame can be put on the officials for their LACK of control. What I meant about Tommy is to the fact that anybody who retaliates against another should be set down as well. But like previously written here, the officials have lost control & thus the drivers lose respect back for them. And fyi, yes I have worked on modifieds, and have been involved in some of the nastiest pit fights on record at the 'head. And when I looked back to all that has gone on at the track in regards to the fighting, you have to ask WHY???.

VNYLGRFX
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Getting to personal.... gimme a break! It was (PG13)Rated

I just speak the TRUTH:cool:

Dale

WEEZER
06-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know dale, sounded pretty grafix to me, get it (VINYL). By the way did you talk to joe about his driving?? Maybe the COWBOYS can make a anti 67 sign this week.

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
We already have a 67 sign with a big X through it, haha.

ReptarRacing
06-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Emotions can run high, believe me, I know. What needs to be addressed here is not the fact that the 67 DID IT AGAIN, or that the 00 got out of his car to confront the 67. No! What needs to be addressed here is the lack of discipline on the part of the officials. Sorry guys, (Mike, Jim, et, al), MOST of my crew spent all week and many hours repairing a car that was wrecked, purposely. No black flag. No trip to the NASCAR trailer. The DQ for the rear was not enough punishment.

I guess with age come a very selective memory. I guess driving into a driver's door on purpose doesn't warrant a black flag, a trip to the NASCAR trailer or any punishment. From your view point, that deserved the championship. Maybe before you type, you should really rethink things that you are going to write.

Just so everyone knows, I DO NOT CONDONE WHAT WAYNE DID!! And personally speaking because I have been where Tommy is right now (granted I was only a crew member) a suspension is what I would want.

leah28racing
06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
There's always one in the crowd that doesn't agree. Cuzzy,Tommy just got out of his car, that's it. He did put his hand in the window, nothing. We all saw it. He was just mad that Wayne would do that. We'd be a little steamed to don't you think? Tommy just let Wayne know he was mad. He didnt do anything to hurt him back. I guess the 23 on the tow truck on Tommy's car needs to be changed to the 67 huh? haha!!! But then we'd need a bigger tow truck.

Tower Man
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
No Rep, I have a very good memory and took good notes. I vividly remember the incident, but "my hands were tied" and you of all people know what I mean.

W. J.
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
And now we've veered off course once more. Let's leave the old history out of this thread. :(

originalpoet
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Before we somehow put Tommy to blame on this one, he did stick his head in Wayne's window to "discuss" the incident, I didn't see any punch's thrown...and to be honest, I was concerned that he was out on the track while some cars were still at speed. In the pits, neither Tommy or ANY of his crew went near Wayne's pit. I thought that showed championship restraint on his part. Years ago I wouldn't consider myself a 00 fan, in fact I seem to recall having a pretty good shouting match with Jimmy once over an on track incident, but in the last few years we have become pretty good friends, and like I said in an earlier post, I was glad to see he didn't get badly injuried. Let's remember we all have to go to work on Monday mornings. Safety must ALWAYS come first in all divisions.

hollywoodmic
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
We had just gotten to the race track when this was about to happen. I was screaming for the 00 to get under the 67 and use him up if he had too. I don't think Tommy touched him. He was so clean and smooth, and just made a great move to get by Wayne. The question is was it worth the trophy to wreck this race car? If that's the case he'd probably give you the trophy if you wanted it that bad. Was it worth the extra points??? Was it worth the extra money?? All stupid questions, but at the end of the day Wayne was it worth it??? It was dangerous and uncalled for and you should be ashamed of yourself. I'll say this much; if the 00 put the 67 in the Turn 1 wall, instead of passing him cleanly, we'd be having a totally different discussion. Wayne, I am dissapointed in the way you drove, you didn't race, you drove with jealousy and malicious intent. That's sad because I never remember you being like that. I hope you rebound like a gentleman. I guess we'll soon see.

leah28racing
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Tommy was not in Wayne's window. I don't know why my last reply was edited for language, I didn't curse. It was also changed how I wrote it, But this will probably be deleted to.

Ka$h25
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't have much against, nor do I care much for either driver. Besides Jess these days and J-Rod in the years past, I never watched much BB. However I was watching, very closely, what was turning into a great battle for the lead. I had (probably) the worst view on the pass for the lead, but a great view of the left turn sending Tommy into the wall:rolleyes:, followed by Tommy's reaction. Although we may all say we would react the way Tommy did, that doesn't make it right. If the drivers are allowed to confront each other on the racetrack time after time with no penalty, it will be a melee out there. Although Tommy got a raw deal, he isn't completely innocent. I'd like to see the officials make an example out of this situation with some stern penalties for both drivers.

Finally, my biggest complaint is: What are these guys even doing? First off, I think most people agree its time to move on for some of these guys. I'm sure financially some would be better off somewhere else(figure8,charger). I can't imagine this division turns much profit. However, I do respect that they enjoy the division for what ever reason. Thats fine, but if your gonna be the veterans of the beginner division, then understand you are the teachers. The two top competitors of the division are acting like high school girls, while the two high school girls could use a little help now and then.

leah28racing
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
John,the problem is, is that certain people never get punished enough. I don't think Tommy should get punished not even because he is a friend, because all he did was get out of his car and pointed a finger; come on. He didn't do anything to Wayne. Wayne screwed him. How many times (has) your father get out of his car, haha!!! My dad has too, in the past, when George Brown was around. As for them changing divisions, I think that what you enjoy the most is where you should stay.

dynamite
06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
To original poet: So then who was it that went into Wayne's pit area and threw a steering wheel into his car? This is what I was told by a handful of people. If I was TW, (this only because it was a crush job) I would have waited for Wayne to go in his trailer, and I would have met him inside to discuss the matter, end of story.
PS: It's up to those two to straighten this hard feelings out right now, not us, not the officals, and not the computer.

W. J.
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
In the pits, neither Tommy or ANY of his crew went near Wayne's pit.
If the above is true, then how did Tommy's bent steering wheel end up on Wayne's hood (in Wayne's pit area), where I saw it during intermission? I know Tommy didn't do that, but I do know who did. Maybe he needs to sign a contract to play in the NFL.

leah28racing
06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
UM,Tommy didn't throw it at Wayne. Someone else gave the steering wheel to Wayne. It wasn't thrown. Why are people trying to say Tommy did something wrong this time? He didn't. Not saying he hasn't in the past, but he really wasn't this time. I don't care who likes it or not. I know who did it too. It's someone that has done work to both cars one time or another.

W. J.
06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
UM,Tommy didn't throw it at Wayne.

No one said Tommy did it. Tommy, after acting like any normal human being would on the track right after the incident, exercised great restraint afterwards. I agree with Dynamite, it would have been great if these two guys could have discussed it after it happened.

Ka$h25
06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
John,the problem is, is that certain people never get punished enough. I don't think Tommy should get punished not even because he is a friend, because all he did was get out of his car and pointed a finger.

I do agree on a certain level, you have to feel for Tommy. For what happened to him, he was actually pretty calm compared to how others might have reacted.

As for them changing divisions, I think that what you enjoy the most is where you should stay.

I agree, if they have passion for the division, if that's what they love, I respect that. However, they are the veterans. You won't see your father and Billy Steen going at it on the racetrack, and they should have that same sportsmanship and responsibility. I'm sure its not Tommy who is causing problems, simply just a victim of the situation he was put in. I would've reacted exactly the same, you just expect more professionalism from a driver of his caliber.

So then who was it that went into Wayne's pit area and threw a steering wheel into his car? This is what I was told by a handful of people.

I must've missed that also, I was about 4 spots down and didn't personally see any kind of confrontation in the 67 pit area. I don't know Tommy or any of his crew, so I couldn't say none of his guys were there, but I watched for a good 20 minutes and there wasn't any 'noticeable' confrontation that I saw. As a matter of fact, when I headed up for the LM Race, I think Wayne was still sitting in his car.

leah28racing
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes he was sitting in his car for a while. Don't know why. Tommy really doesn't even have a so called pit crew. All of his friends help out when they can. But most of them are racing, too.

But Wayne will probably get a slap on the wrist with a one week suspension, which isn't fair.

Charlie's Angel
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I also witnessed the steering wheel being thrown through Wayne's Passenger side window. NOT by Tommy. I believe Tommy was in the trailer at the time. I saw who did it. Although, no harm was done to Wayne or his crew or his car in any way. I also noticed that Wayne never got out of his car. He sat in that car for some time.

As for Tommy getting out of his car and screaming at Wayne. Who could blame him. At least Wayne will be able to drive his car in the next race. I'm sure a little yelling from Tommy didn't hurt anything. The way I see it, Wayne is a big boy he can take some yelling. He can sure dish out the same. Perhaps Tommy should have handled it differently but as Tower Man(Joe) said.. emotions run high in incidents such as this. So it is understandable.

FERGBIZZ
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
The two top competitors of the division are acting like high school girls, while the two high school girls could use a little help now and then.

In my opinion the 00 and the 22 are the two top competitors of the division and have been the last couple years.

Ka$h25
06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
In my opinion the 00 and the 22 are the two top competitors of the division and have been the last couple years.

Yeah "two top competitors" was a bad choice of words. I couldn't even tell you what the points looked like this year, last year or the year before that. :rolleyes: Last time I checked John Clancy and Henry Cataldo we're the top 2 competitors :confused:

speed16racer
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I hope Tommy makes it out there by July 7th because there will be some more competition out there. I heard a rumor that a veteran bb driver is coming back!

unowho243
06-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Tommy is a great driver, so is Scott as well as most of the drivers in that division. I'm sorry, but I can't say the same for Mr. Okula.

unowho243
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
i heard he will be back this week in a borrowed car. :applause:

cuzzzy59
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
And I quote, "Tommy wanted you to have a gift", and in went the steering wheel into the car at Wayne. No second-hand info here, but the facts. And it was a famous engine builder that did it,[ childish]. Now to the other comment by Leah. Girl, all I can tell you is it doesn't matter who dumped who, but that the driver was stupid enough to get out of his car while the race finished, and proceeded to argue with is head in the car. I don't know what race you watched, but he [Tom] put his head inside the window. And then after the race the steering wheel was THROWN into Wayne's car. Enuff said about this whole mess..let's move on. :)

wayne
06-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Does Wayne Have A Computer? I'd Like To Hear What He Has To Say. Lol

W. J.
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I would suggest if you'd like to know what he has to say, you go ask him in person. While he probably does have a line on this, it is his choice to not participate in forum discussions of any kind, whether about himself or any others, but you kknow he's not shy and will address all reasonable questions he's asked. I know, I already interviewed him on the subject, and so have other writers. He knows what happened was wrong, but still insists it was due to a brake issue wih his car, and he feels very badly about Tommy paying the price he has for that.
This coming Saturday, I'll bet we all will have something else new to talk about, as we do every week.

wayne
06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm no fan of either driver, but after watching the video it looks like Wayne thought he was clear. With that big rottwieler head and no neck its hard to see next to ya. It was Wayne's first week out with that front bumper on, maybe he didn't realize the distance of it. It sticks out about 6 or 8 inches more than the other. You have to be a knuckle head to say your gonna wreck someone, say it in front of everyone, then go out and do it. If that's what happened, then he's a jerk that deserves to be set down for a while. Wayne and Tommy are the roughest drivers out there. Tommy has been much better these last two years though. Wayne just seems to be getting rougher. In my opinion, it just looks like Wayne thought he was clear and tried to chop down to get underneath Tommy and Wayne's bumper caught the rear of his car. Check out the video on the front page!!

W. J.
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
In my opinion, it just looks like Wayne thought he was clear and tried to chop down to get underneath Tommy and Wayne's bumper caught the rear of his car. Check out the video on the front page!!

I agree, look at the video, it speaks volumes about the whole thing. Don't just watch it once, play it a few times.

ReptarRacing
06-26-2007, 09:22 PM
No Rep, I have a very good memory and took good notes. I vividly remember the incident, but "my hands were tied" and you of all people know what I mean.

Sorry but that is a very lame excuse as I have no idea what you mean. My car was sitting between 1 and 2 under caution with a flat when the other car came from the infield into our drivers door. Your reasoning to me was that you were going on vacation and could not be bothered. So while I feel bad for Jessica, because of all the damage she received, you sure didn't care about all the damage we had, and what it took to get that big old caddy back out. These are the facts, you know it and I know it.

Maybe you should also reread your post under the Late Models, you know, where you say if you dump someone you received the black flag, if you retaliated you received the black flag.....

As I said before, you should really think things through before you type things.

Have a great day, see everyone Saturday.

Golf Guy
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
In my opinion, it just looks like Wayne thought he was clear and tried to chop down to get underneath Tommy and Wayne's bumper caught the rear of his car. Check out the video on the front page!!

Why would Wayne want to back underneath Tommy? Was he racing for 2nd then? No way he is going to beat him back to the line going back low?
I know both Wayne and Tommy and like both. I think Wayne made a mistake and Tommy reacted to it. I have seen Cup drivers make mistake and the wronged party react to it, so why should Riverhead be any different?
I never go overboard with guy's reating in the heat of battle, it's what makes sports so unpredictable and so much fun. Look at the Mets Paul LoDuca to a called strike the other night. Doesn't make it right, but the passion is what you have to love.
One thing we all have to admit, it's good for business. 61 replies and 2,500+ views on the Jam and I bet a whole bunch of you can't wait for this Saturday night!

cuzzzy59
06-26-2007, 10:10 PM
:) Okay, this goes out to Leah Maynor, my apologies to you about Tommy going into the car, I was off on that one. But I'm glad the video is out. It's clearly a racing incident to me.

Ka$h25
06-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I better go take a look at this video. I laughed when it was first mentioned "he thought he was clear" I figured and the very least, Wayne might have just been loosening him up with a little knock in the door hoping to sneak under. Let's see this video...

bulldozer
06-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Being a race car driver myself, I waited to see the video before I commented, because I didn't see the event. But after I watched, I really don't think it was his intent to wall him. I think he might have wanted to switch him and moved him up the track, but as far as doing that on purpose, no way. After watching the video, maybe a couple of people might want to change their story. I have talked to Wayne a couple of times this week, and he feels upset because he didn't do it on purpose. But after he ran his BIG mouth last week, people jump to that conclusion. The guy is rough, and he might not be liked, but he wouldn't try to hurt someone, which almost happened on purpose. Glad to see Tom W was all right. I would have been equally mad as Tommy, because he was winning and his car got wrecked, but I hope the two drivers work it out and are able to race with each other the rest of the year. Let's let it rest with the opinions and let the drivers take care of the rest. I hope the motor builder that helped build the 67 motor, along with being the builder of the 00 motor, doesn't get involved with throwing steering wheels any more. Very childish and unprofessional move. You're not the crew, you're the motor builder. 81

KickItUp
06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
So if you think by looking at the video that Wayne made a mistake and just wasn't clear, and that is what happened, then why didn't Wayne give that as his excuse a hundred times over, instead of saying it was a brake issue? I thought I was clear and I had brake issues are two totally different excuses.. By him saying it was brakes, well then he knew darn well if he was or wasn't clear.. Where was his radio man? I know, radios are not allowed in the BB's, but he uses them, he has said it before to folks, and just look inside his car.. You'll see where he keeps it..
Wayne wanted that win, and he would stop at nothing to try to get it. Tommy getting out of his car in this whole discussion is irrelevant.

Ka$h25
06-27-2007, 02:09 AM
After watching the video, I still wouldn't say it was poor judgment. If he came down without being clear, that's one story, or if he pinched him coming up, I'll buy that. The clearest view you have is the front left fender, no excuse for misjudging that one.

leah28racing
06-27-2007, 02:12 AM
All I have to say is whatever. Glad people know my name. People have to make excuses for Wayne, because they don't care for Tommy. You don't have to like him, but don't ignore the truth and say it might be an accident.

RickFigure8
06-27-2007, 05:40 AM
I've been watching and listening to everything that's been going on in the last few weeks. All I'm saying here is how the video looks to me. To me it looks like the bumpers hooked for a second. Tommy's passing Wayne and just as his back bumper is up to Wayne's front bumper, his car slows a little and turns to the right. It looks like Wayne's car turns to the right a little, too, which could be from the bumpers hooking. If Wayne was turning down into to Tommy to right turn him, his front end would not go to the right like it looks here. I didn't see the race, it's just how the video looks to me.

Rick

cuzzzy59
06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Okay to Leahnick, you're welcome for my apology. Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't thank me. Give it a break with the biased comments, watch the video and draw a mature accurate conclusion.

Mike Fields
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickItUp
<<So if you think by looking at the video that Wayne made a mistake and just wasn't clear, and that is what happened, then why didn't Wayne give that as his excuse a hundred times over, instead of saying it was a brake issue?>>

KickItUp, when I went up to Wayne Okula after the regular racing divisions had completed their features, he allowed me to interview him, and gave me a completely different answer, which I put into my column. The answer that he gave to me was that he misjudged it when tried to get back under Tommy Walkowiak. He also stated several other things, which are also in the column.

Still, the biggest surprise out of the entire thing to me, is not the answers that he gave to my questions; it was the fact that after an incident such as that, both he and Tommy agreed to be talked to by "media types" such as W.J. and myself at all.

No matter what I thought of the incident, that in itself says volumes to me about the class of both men. I've walked up to Nextel Cup drivers after an incident and been given graphic descriptions of exactly what I can do with my request for an interview.

leah28racing
06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't have to apologize for anything. I seen the race with my own eyes. I don't need to watch the video. I have my own opinions. That's what part of this Jam is for, no? To express yourself?

rockandrollcafe
06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Are You Kidding Me? Fat Neck- Rottweiller Head- No Brakes- come on gang, that was a deliberate move. And a real POOR show of sportsmanship. That was so intentional, that I can't see how anyone can defend the guy.
I met Wayne while he was inspecting enduros and he had plenty of racing & car knowledge. He's no rookie to the game, and that move was cheap. I lost all respect for him. Walkowiak earned that win and if Wayne was any kind of driver he would have took 2nd like a man.

Instead he showed how desperate he was and took Walkowiak out.
Why? Was it for a few points? Maybe it was the difference in prize money? It couldn’t have been for that $7.00 trophy. Wayne lost it when he saw Tommy pass him
As a driver, I think everyone in that division should contact Riverhead on paper and put them on notice that this guy threatens, and then carries out the threats. After being put on notice (on the record) Riverhead could be held personally liable when it happens again.

Also- if you have a problem with what happened- Get in touch with Wayne’s sponsors.Let them know what’s going on.
I don’t think that they would appreciate the way their business is being represented.

And as far as Tommy running over to Wayne’s car- If someone does me as dirty as Wayne did Tommy, Bumper boy-the Cromarty’s and the Riverhead police force won’t be able to stop me from expressing my true feelings.

W. J.
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, Leah, we are here for people to express themselves. But the expressions of those who've actually watched the video, to refresh their memories, or see it for the first time if they missed it, carry more weight opinion wise than the opinions of those who refuse to review the situation thoroughly! They are entitled to do that, but shouldn't be surpirised when someone who has 'investigated' it more thoroughly disagrees.

As Mike Fields stated above, we both interviewed Wayne, separately I might add, and Wayne told me it was a brake issue and misjudgment on his part, and that he took full responsibility for the incident, adding that he felt somehow the officials should have given Tommy the win. Past history says otherwise, as I never remember anyone getting something like that in a similar situation, so there is no precedent for the officials to do that. I have spoken to Wayne since the incident, and he still feels badly about the outcome of his mistake, and he acknowledges that his statement the week before was foolish and can't be undone. This is in no way a defense, just the facts as they exist.

This Saturday night, new events will take place at Riverhead Raceway, and hopefully with better outcomes and no reason for so many differing opinions, and we can all go back to rooting for our favorite drivers and enjoying a sport we all love.

This horse has now truly been beaten more than most any other, and maybe we should all go on about our lives and let it die a peaceful death. J/M/O

RACENUT
06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I Think Wayne Deserves A Little Credit Here. He Said He Was Going To Wreck Tommy, And He Did. He Is A Man Of His Word.

RGeeProductions
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Seems in the Fields interview he forgot to mention the 'brake' issue like he told you WJ.

KickItUp
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
RGee.. that's exactly what I meant above.. You can't have different excuses for different interviews, for the same incident. Unless of course, thats all it is, is an excuse.. Truth is always the same, lies change.. So, sounds like he was making excuses, not fully realizing what would become of him by doing what he intentionally did. Seems his brakes were just fine when he stopped in Victory Lane to attempt to get that flag though..

And racenut, :lol:

Wayne did exactly what he said he would do, so no matter how many excuses he gives, he knows what he did. What makes it even worse, if possible, was that he did it to a friend..

All I can say, is that if he is allowed to race there, that the other drivers stand up and protect themselves from him.. This won't change him..

leah28racing
06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
W.J. I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks. I know what I saw. Wayne is using brakes as an excuse. Last time I checked, having no brakes does not make your steering wheel right turn someone.

W. J.
06-27-2007, 11:38 AM
No one said he had NO brakes. His brake pedal was low, according to what he told me, which made it difficult for him to go into a turn at speed, unless he went high, and then turned down into the corner. It takes a lot more brake to slow a speeding race car than is does to stop one that is already slowed down.

He obviously has been judged here, numerous times, and we are all going to have our opinions, pro, con and neutral. Yes, all are entitled to think what they want.

Others have been guilty of such lapses in judgment in the past, and after being berated by fans and fellow drivers, have changed their 'driving styles'. Maybe that's what's going to happen here, too. Only time will really tell us...

As for any penalties, none have been formally announced that I know of, but there is something expected, and rightfully so. If and when that announcement is made, we'll all have something new to kick around. "It's too harsh", "They went too easy", "What about when so and so did that?", should give us all another subject to analyze into infinity, just like this subject has been.

310fig8
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Can someone tell me how Brakes have anything to do with this????
They were on the backstretch when this happened, not in a turn. No brakes are needed there.

originalpoet
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Quick reply to Dynamite: You know I have the utmost respect for you and I consider myself a Turbush family fan, so if a steering wheel was thrown, I didn't see it...(I was wrong). I only wish Tommy and Wayne could race each other the way you and the 45 truck did last season, you know that was a highlight of our season.

KickItUp
06-27-2007, 01:00 PM
The reason this has gone on as long as it has, and has as much said as it does in it, is because this is not the first or second time Wayne has done this.. I am talking about wrecking another competitor.. He has bullied, and wrecked, pushed around, and threatened a lot of drivers in his short BB career.. This says something about him, and his driving, or lack of.. The threats alone should be cause enough to sit him out for a full season.. His threats for on track destruction isn't just hot air, he seems to carry them out, weekly.. That says something too..

unowho243
06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I've seen the video, doesn't change my opinion, still looks intentional to me. He knew how much room he had and if he really didn't, then maybe he needs those markers like they have on snow plows or something like that, because he has been driving the same car for how many years, and he still doesn't know where his front end is?

W. J.
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Can someone tell me how Brakes have anything to do with this????
They were on the backstretch when this happened, not in a turn. No brakes are needed there.
Simply put, yes they were on the backstretch when it happened, but they were about to enter turn 3, where they would be braking, and when you are having the kind of brake trouble that Wayne described to me, that is the point where slowing down to enter the turn would take place with a 'soft pedal' condition on the car.
If that isn't enough, re-read the first paragraph of my last post again.

(Poor horsey, sorry you've had to go through this)

Erin C
06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok, how about an unbiased view?

I just watched the video over and over for the last 20 minutes, replaying from the beginning. I see Tommy W trying to bump pass Wayne going into every turn until he finally gets around him in turn 4 when Wayne went high, which was a pretty clean pass. A lap goes around clean, then coming out of turns 1 and 2 I see Wayne and Tommy side by side. The way both cars jolt about halfway down the backstretch it looks like Tommy's back bumper caught Wayne's front bumper and it sent Tommy to the wall, if you look closely you can even see the bumpers when they unlock and Tommy goes into the wall!

I have seen this type of incident on the track so many times, what's really the big deal about it that doesn't involve personal feelings? I don't personally know either of these drivers, although I am pretty familiar with Tommy W. I don't know either of their driving styles, but if you look at it without knowing either of the two, it looks like an unintentional incident!

Wayne may be a bully, but I don't know that! This is what I saw, so take that as an unbiased view. I study enduro racing, I watch as much as I can, I replay videos over and over to familiarize myself with driving styles, so I know who I should be watching for rough riding during our enduros. This doesn't even look close to being intentional, and I have witnessed so many sneaky ways of "bullying on the track". If you look past who is behind the driver's seat, anyone can see it for themselves.

WJ, I think the horse needs a rest! :lol: It's already half way through the week and the horse needs to race again this weekend! :eek:

The Bullfather
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Entering turn 3? They were exiting turn 2 and where less then a quarter down the stretch when the accident started to happen. I don't think the video is a good piece to judge by, it happened in front of the whole backstretch and mostly everyone sitting had a whole other point of view. I don't think it's the best angle of what we saw or thoses in turn 2. I hope it wasn't a accident that wasn't not motivated by rage. The video does show a great pass underneathe and I'm suprised Wayne left that big of a hole for Tommy to get underneathe.

Ka$h25
06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I could go either way I guess. I could buy that Wayne wanted good position going into 3. He was gonna let up, and go into 3 right on his back bumper. Wayne obviously wasn't handling well enough to take him on the outside. If hes saying his braking error lead to his misjudgment then I could definitely buy that. And maybe i'll take a little heat for this, but it looks like Tommy was drifting up also?

I think its nuts for anyone to ignore the tape. If your gonna go by what you saw once, from anywhere between 50-600 feet away, for a split second, 4 days ago- you can't possibly think thats better judgment then the rest of us watching this video frame by frame zoomed in very well btw.

W. J.
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry, it's the only video we have. Maybe you should watch it again. (Muttering to myself "exiting turn 2...???)

The Bullfather
06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I know it's the angle we have of the incident, but it doesn't show how much room there is between the cars and the wall. It's also harder to tell if someone went up or if someone came down. And yes they were exiting turn 2 and not entering turn 3 at the point of contact, you do know what entering and exiting mean? right? The view was across from the track. Sitting on the backstretch I believe best view of the whole incident, not just the camera angle. It started when both drivers came out of 2. By time Wayne made it to turn 3 Tommy was already up against the wall and out of commission.

turn1cowboy
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow I could tell you from turn 1 Wayne wrecked him on purpose, no doubt about it!

Gravel
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I was informed that Wayne Okula will be suspended for 1 week.

CheckerWon
06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I feel I have to speak up and give my opinion here...... 1st of all , I had the best seat and angle in the house at the time this "incident" occured .... Wayne turned the front of his car left into Tommy's right rear of his car appx. 3/4's of the way down the backstretch..... With that being said, whether or not Wayne had a low brake pedal and/or no brakes at all, and/or made a crossover move that he misjudged, and/or if it was done on purpose or not, ONLY Wayne knows the truth !!!!! and that is that !!! I also want to thank everyone that congratulated me on the win, it truly meant a lot. Thanks again !!! .... Artie P.

Turbo
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Personally I dont think he should run BlunderBust anymore this year!! lol:-B

bulldozer
06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Personally I dont think he should run BlunderBust anymore this year!! lol:-B
lol me neither

RGeeProductions
06-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Loving the deleted posts here.
Quite amusing.
How deep is your love...BeeGees

Ka$h25
06-28-2007, 12:06 AM
:rolleyes: Close it up, lock it down, lets move on. Nothing else insightful can be said. The penalty has been issued (official?) and unless something else is said by Tommy, Wayne or a Track Official then frankly theres no point in bickering. Everyone can speculate that it was accidental, intentional, or intentionally accidental, only Wayne knows.:rolleyes:

W. J.
06-28-2007, 07:10 AM
R.I.P. horse. This one's closed.