PDA

View Full Version : Different body styles

The Bullfather
06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I was checking out some modified pictures through our racer hub sister site Pocono thunder and found this photo: http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=23842

Veteran driver Rusty Smith is in the photo. Through the years we've many body styles. I liked the Ford Mustang Todd Szegedzy runs on the tour. Do you think Rusty was pulling off the same body lines of the Dodge Magnum? What body styles have you liked over the past few years? I like the hot rod black with the filled in back window of Bertuccio. I think modifieds lack different indenities like it used too.

TMAC
06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
That is to be the new body style for THE RACE OF CHAMPIONS DART ASPHALT MODIFIED TOUR. It was written in last weeks Area Auto [June 5th] the new body design provides the RoC TEAMS with an opportununity to have some creativity with their body design, providing needed sponsor panels on race car. Check out Pete Brittain's ride, his looked pretty cool...

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
looks sharp, found it at his site, here are some photos:

http://www.jerseyoutlaw99.com/photos/pb1.jpg

http://www.jerseyoutlaw99.com/photos/pb3.jpg

http://www.jerseyoutlaw99.com/photos/pb5.jpg

I think it's a good idea, how are the blind spots? I guess not to bad because of the Hans device most tracks use.

RGeeProductions
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I, myself, don't like the high panels. It takes away from the look of a real car body. I hope the Whelen Tour never goes to this....

LongIslandJam
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
There's actually a Modified car of tomorrow that's being worked on in Upstate NY which looks similar to Don Wagner's car. I don't know all the details, but Wagner's body may be the wave of the future.

And I agree with Bullfather. I like different styles for Mods, brings them back to their roots.

W. J.
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes, back in the day when they switched from coupe bodies to Pintos, Vegas and Gremlins, they used the actual bodies, which gave them a distinctive look. Now it's all formed sheet metal to sort of follow what a particular car would look like from a profile view (That's a Corvette??? I didn't know they made a tin body!), which cuts down expenses and adds aerodynamics. Unfortunately, it also takes away the personality of the car. Adding wing panels, which in the pictures looks unique because there are only a few, will not change the 'cookie cutter' image if and when everyone goes to that (The Modified of Tomorrow??? Will NASCAR never stop!). But it sure will provide billboard space, and blind spots!!!

unowho243
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Looks pretty ugly to me... Personally I like the old Cavaliers, like the 26 of Gary Mcdonald

LongIslandJam
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
It's actually an RoC Tour idea...

Here's the PR:

“BODY OF TOMORROW” HERE TODAY ON THE RACE OF CHAMPIONS ASPHALT MODIFIED TOUR IN 2007. BODY TO BE FEATURED IN 5 2007 R.O.C ASPHALT MODIFIED TOUR EVENTS.

BINGHAMTON, NY…The Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour cars are going to see a step toward tomorrow with new body rules that will be showcased in five 2007 events. The “Body of Tomorrow” will be allowed for competition in the five “short track” events that will be held at the Chemung Speedrome, Mahoning Valley Speedway and Wyoming County International Speedway.

The concept of the new body rules will actually be based on the idea behind the “sail panels” often used in dirt Modified competition. The changes that will be permitted won’t be dramatic but will certainly open up panel space for sponsorship opportunities for the Race of Champions teams.

Only two panels on the entire current body can be changed, this will be the rear/side quarter panel. The height of this panel will be permitted to be raised without the use of a side back window. This will allow teams much more space for sponsor names on the racecar. The rear deck, body panels and roof line will not be permitted to be changed. The new panels must blend to the old rules. These panels will only be allowed in the five short track events being held at the Chemung Speedrome, Mahoning Valley Speedway and Wyoming County International Speedway in 2007. Once an agreeable design is reached at the conclusion of the season all events in 2008 will allow for the new panels.

Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour Director Andrew Harpell had this to say, “Our basic body package has not changed in a very long time. The rules that we have put together will once again allow the teams the opportunity to be creative while at the same time gaining valuable sponsorship panel space.” He added, “Last year Don Wagner ran a station wagon body at Mahoning Valley Speedway. In a conversation with Track Promoter Doug Hoffman last season we agreed that our cars were lacking that freedom and ingenuity that made the Modified division great.”

Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour officials worked with several teams including Jan Leaty and Rick Kluth on potential options for the teams. The rear/side panels that will be allowed won’t require any other changes in the current body structure. These panels will simply be allowed to be put on for these five events and taken off in only a few minutes of work. The five events chosen were done so that teams wouldn’t have dramatic advantages in their aerodynamics but could be a bit creative. These events will certainly be a gauge for the future look of the Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour body package.

Jan Leaty put together a body design for R.o.C tour officials to look at. The body raises the height of the panel and actually only displays a decal for the back window. If the decal was removed the space for sponsorship entitlement would be dramatic. The body that the Leaty team put together is actually a blend between what the rules will be for these five events and what the current rules are. Harpell commented, “Jan put together a body that is less dramatic in the change that we will allow. He put together a piece that is in the middle of the road and we just added a couple of more inches to the height while maintaining all of the previous body rules.

The bodies will be debuted for the first time at the Chemung Speedrome on Saturday, June 2nd. They will then be allowed on consecutive weeks at Mahoning Valley Speedway on June 9th and Wyoming County International Speedway on June 17th. On July 15th Wyoming County International Speedway will again see the new body style and then the final chance to see the new look will be on August 18th at the Mahoning Valley Speedway.

rules for the body:

Unchanged rules:

The minimum body height is 40 inches measured 6 inches back from the top of the windshield on the roof centerline.

The rear of the roof at its highest point must not be more than 3 inches higher than the actual front measurement.

The height of the roof angle, pitch and length must remain the same under previous rules.

The tail panel height must remain the same under previous rules (35 inches maximum height off the ground).

The spoiler height must remain the same under preivous rules (43 inches maximum height off the ground).

The side/rear quarter panels may extend a minimum of 34 inches to a maximum of 42 inches off the centerline of the rear axle to the rear of the body (tail light panel).

Allowable changes for the new body styles:

The maximum height of the side/rear quarter panels will be no more than 45 inches - measured off of the ground.

The maximum height of 46 inches may not exceed 6 inches past the centerline of the rear axle. At this point the body must begin to taper to meet the rear deck height of 35 inches.

The side/rear quarter may extend a maximum of 24 inches forward from the centerline of rear axle forward. (This is the point where it attaches to the top of the door panel).

No window is required in the side/rear quarter panel. This space can be utilized for sponsorship.

W. J.
06-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, like I said, for sponsor exposure. Not a bad idea, but not a way to make the cars look anything like their roadway counterparts, either. DIRT discovered the hard way about 10 years ago that that was a problem, and mandated their teams to try and at least create a profile of the cars they were supposed to be. I saw many, but the effect was minimal at best; cutting windows in the sail panels almost did it, but it was not a great success in my mind.

randomrodder
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Making more room for sponsor dollars.