PDA

View Full Version : The 35 Year Wait Is Over For Vinnie Who

RGeeProductions
06-25-2007, 07:47 AM
The 35 Year Wait Is Over For Vinnie Who, Wins Mod Race at Seekonk

The racer considered the greatest modified driver ever, the late, great Richie Evans, once asked the question on his two way radio,” Whose that all over my (rear bumper).?” The response was Vinnie, Vinnie Annarummo! Evans replied, “Vinnie Who? And that reply, from the legendary NASCAR champion, stuck for close to 30 years in New England short track racing. The Swansea, MA; veteran became known as “Vinnie Who” by track announcers and racing media throughout the northeast.

On Saturday night, the large crowd on hand at Seekonk Speedway, Seekonk, MA; knew who was behind the wheel of the Francis Farm Clambake modified. It was one of their own, a six time track champion, a driver who once raced modifieds regularly in the 80’s, had just won his first ever modified race in his 35 year career. “I have fulfilled everything I wanted too do, and I couldn’t retire until I won a modified race.” the veteran driver told fans in victory lane. Annarummo will turn 58 Monday

The race, the first of four events at the Rte 6 oval, was hotly contested throughout the 100 lap distance. Annarummo started on the pole and when the green flag was displayed, he grabbed the top spot with outside front row starter Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH; in pursuit. With 10 laps in the record book, Jimmy Kuhn.Jr., W.Bridgewater, MA; Peter Jarvis, Ascutney, VT; and Ted Christopher, Plainville, CT; were running third through fifth.

On lap 15, Peter Jarvis moved by Seuss, to second, and targeted Annarummo. It would stay that way until the 25th go around when defending champion Dwight Jarvis, Ascutney, cracked the top five.

Seuss took back the second spot at lap 45 while former Seekonk winner Dave Berghman moved into fourth.

At the halfway mark, the Black Mountain Painting award went to Annarummo with Seuss in second, P.Jarvis third, Kuhn fourth, and D.Jarvis fifth. Visiting NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour standout Mike Stefanik, Coventry, RI; who started the event 10tth, spun on lap 54 but quickly rejoined the event and the race stayed green. Stefanik, making his first ever start with the TVMRS, would spin 5 laps later bringing out the only caution flag to slow the race. When the race went back to green,P.Jarvis and Seuss would dice for several laps side by side.

Annarummo would continue to set a torrid pace with Seuss trying to keep him within striking distance. At lap 70, Lou Mechalides, Tyngsboro, MA; started his jaunt to the front working his way to fifth.

At lap 85, he rolled into third followed by the brothers Jarvis.

Annarummo would yield the lead to Seuss for laps 89 to 91 grabbing it back on lap 92. The final eight laps would find Vinnie Who fighting off everything thrown at him as Mechalides, who got by Seuss, tried everything he could to mount a charge by the race leader but lap 100 flashed on the speedway scoreboard and the fastest and closest finish

In the four year history of the True Value Modified Racing Series was recorded. The blanket finish saw Annarummo, Mechalides, and Seuss only inches apart at the Sunoco Race Fuels checkered flag, with Dwight Jarvis, and Peter Jarvis rounding out the top five. Bill

Goodrow,Pembroke,MA; Dave Berghman,Rehobeth,MA; Kuhn, Rob Summers, Manchester, CT; and Kirk Alexander, W.Swanzey,NH tenth.

Heat races were won by Annarummo Seuss, and Kuhn, while Alexander won the 20 lap “B” main.

Johnny Bush, Buck Ackley, Mike Brightman, Wayne Arute, Bryan Shumway, Joe Doucette, and Tommy Cravenho did not qualify.

RACE SUMMARY:
AAA of Southern New England 100
Seekonk Speedway
June 23, 2007
Race Time: 25:55,739
Cautions: (1) lap 59
Leaders: Annarummo: Laps 1-88, Seuss: 89-91, Annarummo: 92-100
Black Mountain Painting 1/2 Way Bonus: Vinnie Annarummo
Koszela Speed 7th Place Award: Dave Berghman
Sherwood Wheels 5th Place Award: Peter Jarvis
Sunoco Hard Charger Award: Louie Mechalides – 24th to 2nd

Finish Car # Driver Starting Position
1 12 Vinnie Annarummo 1
2 40 Louie Mechalides 24
3 25 Andy Seuss 2
4 28 Dwight Jarvis 11
5 9NH Peter Jarvis 6
6 38 Bill Goodrow 4
7 82 Dave Berghman 15
8 72 Jimmy Kuhn, Jr. 3
9 13 Rob Summers 23
10 43 Kirk Alexander 18
11 46 Dick Houlihan 17
12 06 Les Hinckley 7
13 11 Ted Christopher 8
14 6 Rob Goodenough 9
15 0 Mike Holdridge 5
16 15 Chris Pasteryak 12
17 48 Ed Dachenhausen 13
18 17 Luke Royea 22
19 01 Todd Patnode 20
20 32 Tom Abele, Jr. 16
21 35 Dale Evonsion 21
22 4 Tony Ricci 14
23 23 Mike Douglas, Jr. 19
24 60 Mike Stefanik 10

NEXT EVENT: July 7, 2007 Monadnock Speedway Winchester, NH

John Spence Sr/TVMS PR

CynthiaTork
06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I made the trek from Waterford after the NEMA feature to catch the mod show at Seekonk. Granted I got there 47 laps in, but the hard, clean racing in the last 15 laps, made the trip well worth it.

WillyKJr
06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
That was a good show. A breath of fresh air in the Mod world. Good car count. Good crowd at a nostalgic Modified joint and a great 100 lap feature with only one caution and top three racing HARD for the win at the end. The Mechalides show, coming from teh back was well worth the trip. Seuss and Mechalides were arguably the faster cars at the end but they took their legitimate shots at Vinnie and he prevailed. I don't think any of those three left anything out on the track. They used it all up. Good stuff.