PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys wanna know?????

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Why don't the Cromarty's like us??????:mad: Myself and Jawsy (Turn 1 Cowboys) have been coming to Riverhead Raceway ever since we could remember. We love racing and would do anything possible to help keep the track running. So...one week about 3 years ago we started bringing are own signs to cheer for our favorite drivers.:applause: and people started cheering with us!! We were like this is great, but what really iced the cake is when the drivers started coming up to us and asking if we would make a sign for them also. Every where we go, we promote Riverhead Racetrack because people ask where we're from and we say we are "RIVERHEAD RACEWAY'S TURN 1 COWBOYS". Thanks to Marrz Motorsports, we get Riverhead Raceway Broadcasted on 102.3 WBAB every Saturday before the races begin. When we went to the Tom Baldwin golf outing some of the celebrities were coming up to us and saying that they heard about us and the excitement that we create in the stands at Riverhead and they love what were doing Saturday night racing:applause:. Two weeks ago we brought 100 cowboys hats and handed them out to all the kids at the track at our own expense, we made t-shirts and gave them out to the kids, too bad we ran out because kids are still coming up to us every week to see if we have any more shirts yet. We also go to Pocono Speedway for the Nextel race, Thompson Speedway for the World Series, and believe it or not but people say "Oh look, it's the TURN 1 COWBOYS from RIVERHEAD RACEWAY". So I don't know, but it looks to me that we do a whole heck of a lot for the Cromarty's and Riverhead Raceway!!!:cheers: We also have gone to other special events like the Turkey durby, Daytona Party with WBAB, along with other up coming events that we have planned to promote Riverhead Raceway and the TURN 1 COWBOYS. If you agree with what we are doing for Riverhead Raceway, please contact Riverhead Raceway.com to voice your opinion. Thanks

debbie33
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
We think you guys are great!!! I just order Zoe (our dog) a turn 1 cow boy tshirt!!!!

Scotty Wolf
06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Good job Cowboys, keep up the good work, Riverhead Raceway needs your energy there.

Golf Guy
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I think you guy's do a great job every week. What makes you write that the Cromarty's/Riverhead Raceway is against you?

unowho243
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Cowboys are great. I have a lot of fun every week with you guys...... There is no cursing, no vulgar language, and no fighting in turn 1. Can you say that for other parts of the track... so I think they are doing a great job, not to mention they are great to the kids and great for advertising!

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
That's what we were told this past Saturday, and now were getting accused for underaged drinking and they think we don't help them. From what I understand is their words were " What do the cowboys do for us?"

figure849
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
What is what you were told last week end ? you still have not said why you are saying the track is against you

curiousellen
06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I sit up in Turn 1 almost every week...and even though I may not get involoved in all the cheering, chanting and holding up signs...I see everyone who comes up there having lots of fun, and always being very positive towards the cowboys. The race drivers love them and always have great things to say about them. And they have lots of kids that look up to them, we even saw a couple kids bringing their own signs this week.

Keep doing what your doing...and don't let people bring you down!! You know what you are doing is great, and you are having fun doing it...so that's all that matters! :applause:

Turn2Guru
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
If I had to make a guess, I would figure when the Cowboys first started it was new and exciting, brought new life to the crowd and racing at Riverhead in general, then you started getting a following, as this following grew larger the Cromarty's took notice. Now you are selling Tee-shirts for something that you do at their race track. They probably don't like you because they are not getting any money from this deal. "What are you doing for us," seems to me that they could care less about the promoting, or being mentioned on the radio, cash in hand is the only thing that means anything to them. If they were concerned with promoting the track, they would advertise it themselves. All they seem to know is how much they are making, not how much they could be making. All I have to offer you guys is a word of advice; watch who is drinking with you, make darn sure all are old enough, enjoy what you are doing by having fun, and don't think this thing is bigger than it really is. You are still a bunch of race fans drinking beer and rooting for your favorite drivers. Although we all get a kick out of you, at a football or baseball game, you guys are a dime a dozen. Keep cheering and having fun, probably lose the negative signs and you should have nothing they can complain about. It might be your game, but it's their ball and they can take it away anytime they want. Enjoy...

W. J.
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
It really doesn't matter, because they will see the Ticket sales drop when we sit out front of the track and tell the people who come in what a dump this place really is.
And there is your answer. If you think they're going to like that, think again.:disgusted

Charlie's Angel
06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
This week I sat between turn 1 & 2 and I've got to say.. the little boy holding up the signs walking by was the cutest thing ever. I thought I had seen it all at the race track, but that was just the cutest thing. Someone told me it was Tommy W's kid. If so.. what a cutie. I loved the signs and it gave the crowd something to laugh about in between races. Way go Cowboys. I like the shirts too. I saw them all over Saturday.

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I'll say again that WE LOVE RIVERHEAD RACEWAY!! We don't have a problem with it, besides the fact that the Cowboys are getting blamed for things that aren't taking place. We DON'T SELL shirts in the stands, we GIVE them out! We do have a web site set up and people order outside the track with NO PROFIT to us at all. We are fans; we love sitting in Turn 1 and getting the crowd going! We don't give beer to underage people; we have FUN! We don't bother anybody. We sit up there and yes, drink beers and root (or boo) for drivers. We, more or less, have a problem with the Cromarty's not coming to us with the questions they have. At the track on Saturday, we tried to get in touch with them to discuss all the accusations, and no one wanted to talk to us.

Turn2Guru
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe they just want Tee-Shirts and Hats for themselves, but are afraid to ask... LOL

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Too much, boys! Your everywhere, almost every victory lane photo one or two cowboys are there! People in the stands come to watch the races, please remember that! Cowboys promoting Riverhead Raceway is great, promoting the racers is great...but, it comes a line when it's too much promoting in yourselves. I thinks it a good thing to be fans, but fans aren't the ones on the track risking their lives. We come for the excitement on the track. Also we come for the weekly people we get to know and sit with and interact with. Not everyone is going to sit in turn one and become a cowboy. I respect what you do, but not the drinking. Sometimes the drinking is being being promoted more then the racing. I have noticed it been toned down a bite from last year. But, even with the posts here, it's about beer 75% of the time. I think the after race altercations the past 2 years have left a bad taste in some people mouths at the track.

We are all in the same boat, let all have fun! Keep up the good work with the kids, but remember you are surrounded by kids. They are going to want to do what your doing. That's part of the underage drinking, I AM NOT blaming you at all for it. Beer sales on our area are way down.lol

Take care guys I hope you take what is written into consideration, but keep enjoying yoursleves and people around you! I don't drink but here's a nice cold glass of Ginger ale for you!:cheers:

RGeeProductions
06-25-2007, 04:16 PM
WOW..........
You reading my mind Peter?!?!?!

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
2 years of after race altercation's where ??when??? not us the "cowboys" never got into a fight or altercation. Our turn 1 designated driver did get attacked by a driver in the pit's for booooing this driver but as of right now he is not coming to the races because were getting a bad rap for the deal!!

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok well, 1st, we should say that if the drivers didn't want us on the track we wouldn't be there. We hold up signs for these drivers because we're FANS! We've known just about all the drivers we take pictures with because we've been racing go karts at different tracks for years with them. They've become friends. We aren't promoting ourselves...what do we have to gain from promoting ourselves? We don't gain anything; we don't get paid to go to the track EVERY Saturday, we go because we're ULTIMATE race fans. We take money out of OUR pockets to buy shirts and buy hats to give out; we also spend OUR money on the signs that we have made.

FERGBIZZ
06-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I think the after race altercations the past 2 years have left a bad taste in some people mouths at the track.

honestly...I think post race altercations have gone way down in the last few years. Unless I'm missing all of them.

Keep doing what you do Cowboys...don't let anyone rain on your parade. I know I have fun up there in Turn 1. Now I know why it was so quiet up there this week.

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
On track photo are only suppose to be Family, People who work on the car and sponsors!!! It was only suppose to be 10-15 people. Why do we have to see fans of drivers almost every victory lane win???

There have been altercations, if not the main 2 cowboys, people that are accoiciated with you have been. What does that make people think? What is the saying about good company?

W. J.
I think the after race altercations the past 2 years have left a bad taste in some people mouthes at the track.
If you don't drink, this statement sure seems to contradict that!
Other then one of THEM being attacked by a driver in the pits for being too vocal, what "post race altercations" are you talking about???
People associated with them??? What, are we lumping all consumers of beer togther???

FERGBIZZ
some fans are so diehard that one could call them family.

turn1cowboy
the drivers ask us to come to victory lane. I get e-mail from drivers saying if i win this week you guys better be down for the picture sooo..... we go

Turn2Guru
06-25-2007, 04:46 PM
You had to pay for signs this year, WOW, last years signs were donated to the cause. I guess the cowboys need a better business manager.

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
so........ I would be in the same boat as you. I believe drivers should be victory lane with family and sponsors and crew memebers. Not friends! I would be down for every victory lane then!

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
yea pete i'm sure all the drivers are asking you too:lol:

hollywoodmic
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
C'Mon guys, no self promoting???? How many fans in the stands have their own PR director?? I love what you guys do and I have a blast with the both of you and you know it, hats, shirts, radio spots, all self promotion........not a bad thing, but the truth is the truth. You guys love that people know who you are, it's your ego. We all have it, myself included. Again self promoting is not a bad thing but don't come on here and say you don't do it, that's just a crazy statement. I think you should be careful about the things you are saying though, standing out front telling people the place is a dump, and so on, not a smart thing to do, just my opinion. If you are selling shirts at the track without their approval, that's like going into a bar and bringing your own beer. I say roll with the punches and get off the high horse ( cowboy reference ), and see where the chips fall. Remember, Riverhead Raceway never asked you to buy hats and shirts and make no money, you did that on your own. I love what you guys do, but always remember no one is bigger than the show.

Steve Halpin

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok...well go look on each of those drivers cars....The Turn 1 Cowboys are ON THE CARS!!! you can go in the pits and take pics or video record or whatever you say you do. its right there in black and white buddy. And with you writing about "Why do we have to see or hear fans every victory lane???" What is that??? Don't you think the drivers WANT to see and hear their FANS! Are you even a FAN??? Are you working on those cars? For you to say people shouldn't hear or see the fans in victory lane is like saying fans don't matter!! Who do you work for again???

FERGBIZZ
the amount of people allowed in victory lane I believe has been discussed several times before on this board...why are we even getting into this again?

Charlie's Angel
I would think if the driver didn't want them in their pictures they would say it. I've been a victory lane pic with Lou Maestri as his friend not a sponsor or anything other than that.

Who's business is it anyway who the driver picks to be in his picture? Sheesh this is getting a little silly now.

Cowboys as I see it you cause no harm and bring good publicity to the track. I don't drink, never did, never will. But you are all adults and you aren't hurting anyone. Half the people at the track are drinking beer, in the pits as well as in the stands. As for the kids watching what you're doing, if their parents didn't like what they saw they could always move their seats. But I'm sure there will be drinking in any other part of the stands.
Don't let the naysayers keep you down. You have too many people cheering for what you bring to this track every week. Keep having fun. I would like to see more people like you filling the seats. The crowd is getting very scarce as it is.

unowho243
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
If you guys don't like it turn your head.... Truth is the cowboys are race fans that love to have fun! Ferg your rite us fan's are sort of like a family and having people trying to shoot fan's down just for having good Innocent fun thats just wrong...If you notice when most drivers win or even do well after the race they Stop or slow down in turn 1 to give us the thumbs up or wave to us!

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
yea pete i'm sure all the drivers are asking you too:lol:

see thats funny I can take that in humor. lol

The Bullfather
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
This post was about why the Comartys don't like you. I give you reason why it maybe so and it turns into a bashing post. This post shouldn't be about defending yourselves. You ask why and people have given reason why it maybe so! Most tracks don't let anyone in victory lane except the driver and his crew. I think it's oversatured with how many people are in victory lane. Let everyone who is a fan of "said" driver and maybe next week we'll have 125 people in victory lane!!! I guess just being a fan isn't enough for some, they have to be part of the show!

wayne
06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Turn 1 cowboy's suck, until I get my sign.

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Pete if all of us up in turn 1 went down to victory lane there would be about 125 people down there. Now if you are paying attention its just Johnny and I from the Cowboys that really go to victory lane.
And if the reason for the Cromartys not liking us, is going down to victory lane why are the drivers calling us in and why do the security guards let us in. If They dont like us going on the track, dont you think they would tell us not to?

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Wayne you would get your sign if we can see the cowboys on the truck.... oh yea the fenders got torn off last race. thats why we didnt see it on the truck... LOL:wave:

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Wayne, we've got a list of signs to be made, but our new sign guy is not as good as are old one, I guess ???? We never should've jumped ship with the old guy, but Wayne, don't worry, your sign will be there if we have to go back to the old way, using cardboard and markers!!!

Turn2Guru
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
If Wayne needs a sign for his truck, I will be happy to make one for him. As long as it doesn't upset your current #1 sign maker. LOL. Who do you think has been making the new Turn 2 signs anyway. Turn 1 Cowboy, Wayne's truck sign will be at his truck for his next race, just stop and get it. Keep it fun.

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
We know you are making those signs and we think they are great!!! We look forward to see new ones every week. And thanks, we will be flying those 41 colors up in turn one!!:applause:

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
We really just want the Cromarty's to respect US!!!!! end of story

wayne
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow, Jawsy that's rough, lol. Yeah I definitely think the old sign guy was better. lol

hollywoodmic
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Fellas I don't how much respect you'll get from anyone if you don't approach them like men, instead of calling them out on a message board. You think doing it this way and making it a public isssue going to help your cause?? I worked for the Cromarty's for 10 years and still do on occasion, if handled correctly they are some of the easiest people in the world to deal with. If you wanted respect this wasn't the way to do it. Just talking from expierence.

Turn2Guru, what sign did you make? The only one I've seen is the one I had made. Who is the Turn2Guru??

Steve Halpin

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Steve we did try to go up to them LIKE men and they wouldnt talk to us last week when we started hearing about all this.

W. J.
06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Hollywoodmic absolutely correct, you will not change things by blasting the track and it's owners on this forum, unless of course you want things to get worse. The tone so far is almost assuring that. Stick with what you've tried to do, and that's let race fans all over know that racing is alive and well, and your reward will be that you helped a track right in your neighborhood remain open.

The alternative to that is frightening.

hollywoodmic
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Was it before the races started or were you already into a couple 12 packs of beers?? My point is making it public like this will not get you any respect from them or anybody for that matter. It's all about how it's handled and perhaps Saturday night wasn't the right time for either party. I'll tell you, at this point if I was them, I wouldn't talk to you guys at all. Again, let me preface that I love you guys and get along great with both of you. There were so many better ways to handle it then on here. Trust me. You could have emailed them, or the racetrack, or Bob Finan. To cry in public and put them out there won't get you guys anywhere. Remember at the end of the day they are the ultimate reason we have LI Jam, if there was no race track, there would be no LI Jam. Maybe be you can be the Front Stretch Cowboys at Wall or Mountain, they don't have grandstands in the corners. Oh crap, you'll have to get new shirts. I'm kidding;, but seriously making your battle a public one won't help.

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
W J you are right and so is Steve. I did not mean that we will do what I said in earlier posts. I just said that stuff out of anger that when there is an issue that needs to be cleared up, they don't want to talk. Now if I didn't love to go to the track sooooooo much it could've happened. We follow the rules, do what we are told, and we can't get our side of the story back to the Cromarty's. Now if they want to talk bad about us, why can't we have a discussion with them?

W. J.
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Now if they want to talk bad about us, why can't we have a discussion with them?

I'm still unclear as to what you mean by this? I've heard nothing bad from them, either in private or in public.

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 06:42 PM
From what I heard, they don't support us because we are not a profit to them, and we condone underage drinking.

imaturn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Not so much talking bad just sending a bad veiw of us by saying we Are taking profit from them by selling shirts on the grounds (which is false) they just gotta go to the site and get them like all the rest of the people who support us.
The supplying of beer to minors is false also. We know that people have their eyes on us. I mean if there are loud chants, people are going to look. Why would we want to loose a good thing over something like that?
If people don't like us because we speak our minds, then so be it. I don't like that rumors like this are going around and we can't speak to them.

Turn2Guru
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
hollywoodmic, I am the original Turn 1 Cowboy sign maker. The nice ones, not the cardboard ones, LOL. Steve, when I see you again I will introduce myself, you're gonna laugh. Signs we made for Turn 2, "So many Cowboys, So little Rope." and "STOP Mad Cowboy Disease." Even the cowboys themselves carried these signs around for awhile. We have a couple more coming soon just to add to the laughs during down time. If you have any other ideas for fun signs for Turn 2, shoot me an Email, hint, I gave you my card at ASi a week before the Tom Baldwin Memorial. Talk to you soon.

W. J.
06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
If you think the string of comments you put up here didn't blast them, you'd better go back and re-read your own posts.

Think about this. If you were more about the racing and quieter about the beer consumption, would we even have this controversy to deal with? You subliminally equate fun at the races with beer drinking, whether you realize it or not. The hats and shirts are a great idea, but handing them out on track property might just make someone at the track think you are selling them there. I know, no one sees any money chnage handes, but they aren't looking that closely, but they know what they see, and that's hats and shirts you've hawked at your website being passed out on their premises. Maybe you should consider a better system of distribution.

The best thing for this is to let it die down, and maybe try to mend fences ( a cowboy term, lol) with the track.

turn1cowboy
06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
did we really break the "fence"

intense1
06-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe be you can be the Front Stretch Cowboys at Wall or Mountain,

Saddle up and head West...just don't wear out any horse shoes on the Cross Bronx!
P.S.-Steve, C.J. is getting better every week.

JunkYardRacer34
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Turn 1 cowboys are great, so don't hate, participate!!!..we need some more cowgirls!!!

rabbid1
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I just heard that the Cromarty's don't like burritos , unbelievable !!!!!!!!

allhailunc
06-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Gee-where have I heard about certain factions of management not being happy with certain people that attend weekly racing (some for many years)? :rolleyes:

Erin C
06-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Although I don't know you guys personally, I am making a trip down to Riverhead for one of the Saturday enduros real soon...I can't wait. I wanted to meet you guys personally while I am there, because I think you are a riot on the forum, just look at how many views and responses this thread has gotten. You guys have an impact on racers, crew, and fans! It seems everybody loves you. All I hear is good about you. Keeping the crowd going and interested, drawing your own fans who hear about you to the races, where they can become regular Riverhead spectators is just awesome, it is free advertising for Riverhead. The only thing on this thread that I feel needs questioning right now is this:

From what I heard, they don't support us because we are not a profit to them, and we condone underage drinking.

I have learned never to go by what you "hear", unless it is directly from the source, not even people right under them. If they did not tell you personally, I wouldn't take it to heart, because some people just like to cause trouble. I still would highly encourage talking to them personally, just to clear things up, but not at the races, because they are probably so swamped and need to take care of the racers and crew complaints above anything else.

I'm sure everything will work out for you, and I wish every track had their own cowboys! Maybe you can start a franchise! :p

Keep on doing what you are doing and good luck! Just remember to always save a horse and ride a.....well, you know!

modprincess8x
06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Erin when are you guys coming to Riverhead?!?!?! Hopefully on a week that we will be there...like July 28th when you can race your truck!! Joe will have to go over to our photo booth introduce himself and take a look at the stuff we have!

As for the Cowboys, I don't see them causing a problem at the track. If the drivers don't mind them being in their victory lane pictures, I say go for it (as long as you go and buy some Victory lane pics...lol). I know when Dad won and Eddie won at Mountain, we liked having not only the family, crew and sponsors celebrating with us in Victory lane, but our Friends, too.

You guys forgot to mention that you are helping the Cromarty's by racing in the 4 cylinders at every enduro...that's 2 more cars that they get in the track and the admission of the people that you bring with you.

Erin C
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I am not sure when we are coming up yet, we both have INTENSE schedules to work around right now. I will give you an advanced warning before we do...it will be on a day with an enduro, that's all I know right now.

Ka$h25
06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
If they have a problem with the drinking, then stop selling it.

If they have a problem with the cowboys handing out memorabilia, then maybe the track should buy it and sell the merchandise themselves. Then everyone profits.

I could see a problem where some fans may not like the screaming, or be offended by the booing, but God knows there's enough empty seats these days to move somewhere else.

I wonder sometimes why I'm not up in turn1 more.

allhailunc
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
There are empty seats at Riverhead?:rolleyes: Nah, never happen. They're all at the turn 1 lavatory :lol: and real good luck trying to stop the drinking/selling of alcohol. That'll happen when there's a full house. :disgusted

The Bullfather
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
ummmm usually this weekend would be the weekend for a full house, also when the Bus demos happen. People love fireworks and buses! We regulars love modifieds and the other supporting divisions!;)

SuperShafts
06-28-2007, 07:50 PM
There was a ton of empty seats last week, looked pretty empty..
This weekend is looking grim for me though....

I couldn't wait for this saturday night, always something, well hopefully things will change.

SuperShafts
07-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks to the 2 turn 1 Cowboys that helped me get the Jeep unlocked...