PDA

View Full Version : Cabral Storms to NEMA Checkers at Waterford

RGeeProductions
06-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Cabral Storms to NEMA Checkers at Waterford

It had been nine races since Randy Cabral of Plymouth, MA, last visited victory lane with the Northeastern Midget Association. That all changed on Saturday night at the Waterford Speedbowl when he proved that he had not lost his winning ways. Cabral topped one of the Nation's hottest open-wheel stars, Bobby Santos III of Franklin, MA, in a duel that came down to the final laps. The victory was the second of the 07 season for car owner Tim Bertrand; making the Bertrand Motorsports team in the 2-3.

Adam Cantor of Dix Hills, NY, and Erica Santos of Franklin, MA, brought the field down to the green flag. Santos quickly jumped out into the lead, while Randy Cabral made a daring three-wide move to the outside to advance from his sixth starting position to third within one lap. Cabral quickly made his way by Barry Kittredge for second, as Cantor began to fade.

On lap four, Cabral began to pressure E. Santos for the lead, while Nokie Fornoro and Bobby Santos III lurked. Cabral would make his final advance for the lead on lap five when he drove to the outside of E. Santos entering turn three. Two laps later, both Fornoro and B. Santos had made their way into the top three to set up a fierce battle at the head of the field.

B. Santos, in the Wirtgen America/BEAST #98 struck on lap eleven to advance into the second spot, diving to the bottom of Fornoro in the Helping Hands/BEAST #4. At this point, Cabral had stretched his lead to ten car-lengths over the field.

Heavy lapped traffic began to play a part in the action. With Cabral out front, Santos had his work cut out in order to set chase. Lap by lap, Santos edged slightly closer to Cabral.
"I knew that I had used the car up a bit to get to the front," said Cabral, "and with the likes of Nokie (Fornoro), Bobby (Santos), (Ben) Seitz and others in the top five, I'd have to save some for the end."

Cabral's strategy worked to his advantage when a caution on lap 19 pitted the leader against the hard-charging Santos. On the restart, both Cabral and Santos launched at the same time coming to the stripe dead-even heat. Â Entering turn one, still even, Santos' car slipped up a bit, allowing Cabral to rocket into the lead. Over the closing laps, Cabral was able to stretch out his lead considerably.

"My car was getting loose toward the end," said Santos, "by that point, we had nothing left to challenge (Cabral) for the win."

Cabral cruised to the win with a comfortable margin as Santos III settled for second followed by Nokie Fornoro, Ben Seitz and Ryan Dolan. Rookie contender Aaron Wall finished sixth followed by Pete Pernesiglio, Joey Payne, Lou Cicconi, in the MacDonald owned #49 after a heat race incident. Shane Hammond rounded out the top ten.

NEMA resumes its schedule with two exciting events with the July 5th event at Thompson International Speedway and then at Stafford Motor Speedway for 'Extreme Tuesday' on July 10th. Cabral heads the Club into Thompson with the points lead, followed by a close battle for second between Payne, Seitz and Cicconi.

Northeastern Midget Association-Finishing Order-Waterford Speedbowl-June 23, 2007:
1. Randy Cabral, Plymouth , MA
2. Bobby Santos III, Franklin , MA
3. Nokie Fornoro, Stroudsburg , PA
4. Ben Seitz, Pocasset, MA
5. Ryan Dolan, Concord, MA;
6. Aaron Wall, Shrewsbury, MA
7. Pete Pernesiglio, Lake Grove , NY
8. Joey Payne, Fairlawn , NJ
9. Lou Cicconi, Aston , PA
10. Shane Hammond, Halifax , MA
11. Tim Heath , Lebanon , CT
12. Adam Cantor, Dix Hills , NY
13. Barry Kittredge, Marlborough , MA
14. Greg Stoehr, Bridgewater, MA
15. Erica Santos, Franklin, MA
16. Mike Luggelle, Hull, MA
17. Andy Schlatz, Enfield , CT
18. Paul Scally, Raynham , MA
19. Shawn Torrey, Marshfield , MA
20. Kyle Carpenter, Glouchester , MA
21. Mark Irving, Bellingham , MA
22. Paul Luggelle, Holbrook , MA
23. Rich Gerbe, Franklin Square, NY
24. Kevin Park, Foxboro , MA
25. Bobby Kuiken, Pompton Lake , NJ
26. Cory Cleary, Plymouth , MA

Dale Wolbrink/racinpr

Howie
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I put a bunch of photos in the gallery from the Waterford NEMA show. Check them out here. http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=814

I also had a video camera on Erica Santos' car. Hope to have a part of that linked here before too long also.

CynthiaTork
06-26-2007, 08:11 AM
33 cars in the NEMA pits. Nice to see a division thriving in an era of shrinking car counts at virtually every short track in the north east, probably the whole country.