PDA

View Full Version : Calverton proposals on TV

cuzzzy59
06-27-2007, 07:42 AM
News 12 is running a small story on the 2 proposals about the Grumman property. Supervisor Cardinale was quoted saying the traffric study would have to be looked into. Let's hope for the best.

SuperShafts
06-27-2007, 09:22 AM
He is playing the traffic and noise issue that won't be a problem, simple study that they can do is look at e-town...

E-town has many more miles of 1 lane in and 1 lane out then the measely 2 miles from the expressway to the EPCal area or Grumman blvd, if over 100,000 people have no problem there getting in and out, what traffic issue could there possibly be on a 2 mile one lane road......that runs to a main expressway and not a 2 lane rt with lights like e-town

Funny how Cardinale is worried about traffic there, but the traffic circles in Riverhead aren't on his main to do yesterday list...

Everyone should make sure they express to them how they want this EPCal family destination.
Everyone should express to them how it will help the insanely rising cost of taxes.

W. J.
06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
True, if the Town of Riverhead is so concerned over traffic, perhaps they should have long ago done something about Rte 58, like before they allowed all the stores to be built before making sure the roadway was adequate. Rte 58 is worse than the LIE at rush hour, any time of the day. The Riverhead Town board should be ashamed of themselves.

As to the battle about who should get the development rights, I'm bewildered as to why an indoor ski-slope is needed anywhere? I know many people ski, but I'd bet the majority of them would prefer to do it outside in the wide open spaces, not within the confines of a tall, and most likely ugly, building. Everyone should get behind the EPCal proposal, as it benefits far more people over all than the other one does.

RGeeProductions
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Being I have lived in Riverhead for my whole life, the traffic circle is the best way to keep traffic moving the best. I have gone through that traffic circle more than 3 times that of any other road in Riverhead. You have a traffic light 1/8 mile north AND west of the circle and a light a 1/4 mile east and a normal 2 lane intersection with a light where the circle is now would make traffic backups much worse. Think about it. Plus it has been put off many times because it is a part of Riverhead's history.
OTHER NOTE: The town is now adding another traffic circle on Middle Road and Osborne, instead of dead ending 1 street, adding a stop sign on the other side and adding a traffic light stating, no less, that it is cheaper to do this. What a crock of you know what!!!!!

Back to traffic study. Not sure what this has to do with anything. Any major build anywhere would have to have an impact study including noise, enviornment and traffic. This is the norm... And it can't be done till the specifics of the project are out to figure, people, buildings, traffic, etc, etc.... And my opinion that the builder/project owner should pay and do this.... NOT THE TOWN....

SuperShafts
06-27-2007, 12:27 PM
The builder does do it, not the town. However I'm not saying don't do a study, but he is playing it a negative way, as he is the noise issue.

Look at the f-1 guy's with their proposal...going on 3 years now

Not1, Not 2, But 3 enviro studies done at their expense......

C'mon, how many enviro studies does anyone need to see? Had it been done at the town's expense, the 1st was all they would have needed to see and this would be under build right now.

As for the traffic circle......you can get more cars in and out of NYC then thru that circle in the same amount of time...and the lights in the city are far more and much closer than on 58. Took a few minutes last week just to get to the off-road entrance to Riverhead Raceway. In that same time, during rush hour, I could have gone from the bottom of the 59th St bridge to mid span.

RGeeProductions
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
As for the traffic circle......you can get more cars in and out of NYC then thru that circle in the same amount of time...and the lights in the city are far more and much closer than on 58. Took a few minutes last week just to get to the off-road entrance to Riverhead Raceway. In that same time, during rush hour, I could have gone from the bottom of the 59th St bridge to mid span.

Not sure what the city traffic and people density difference has to do with the traffic circle in Riverhead as a comparision.
And the "few minutes last week just to get to the off-road entrance" doesn't either. The traffic circle doesn't effect that. It's 2 lane to just before the track then merges into 1 lane. That's the major slow down in that area on a weekend. Fix would be continue the 2 lane. It goes from 2 lane to 1 lane then back to 2 lane then back to 1 in a matter of about a mile length!!!!

SuperShafts
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Exactly and it's slow....wait backed up all the way to the circle...

The comparison is how can thousands of cars get thru in minutes what that circle can't come near to moving thru. Take the light out in the city and you will have the same effect 58 has

FERGBIZZ
06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
explain to me how eliminating the traffic circle will speed the flow of traffic?

The Bullfather
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I love back road in riverhead.lol You can use many routes to stay away from them!!! I like the concept of the traffic circle, suprised more accidents don't happen there. But it does seem outdated with more and more traffic and volume building up in riverhead. It seems the by the hospital might be gone with a 4 lane highway with all the building out east.

Anyway there plenty of room in Calverton for highway expansion.

SuperShafts
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
explain to me how eliminating the traffic circle will speed the flow of traffic?

I explained it above, a traffic light.

A light is a designated amount of time for traffic to be guaranteed the flow in those 2 directions for the 45 to 60 seconds of time...

A traffic circle is a guarantee that eventually you will sit there much longer then 45 to 60 seconds... Some people blame the merge, granted 95% of people haven't a clue how to drive or the rules of the road but if it was the merge then the minute you are merged you don't have a problem.
So if it is the merge people think is the problem, what do you think that traffic circle is..a merging circle....even more of a problem for people to figure out...

The Bullfather
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
SuperShafts:"Some people blame the merge, granted 95% of people haven't a clue how to drive...."

There ya go fixed. lol
Most people don't know how to merge, it's crazy, look at South Hampton.... (shudders to think when I have to go out there before Labor Day)

SuperShafts
06-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Lol the easy fix would be to redo the road test, so they actually have to do everything you need to do when driving.....thousands would fail, probably 100's of thousands.....

Lol if they did there might be 15 of us driving tomorrow and the traffic circle would be fine

W. J.
06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Since the subject (Calverton land proposal on TV) has been presented, and this has gone FAR away from that subject, the thread is now closed.