PDA

View Full Version : Cruise night

figure849
06-29-2007, 10:16 PM
looking for info on cruise nights around the Island. Where ,when.
S.A.F.E.R. is looking into having our meetings out in the public, something along the lines of a cruise club event to show our cars to the public that might not know that there is a track on the Island. And to get car guy's to come and see the races. To also show cars that are for sale, to get every seat filled, in the cars on the track, and the seats in the stands.
So at this point we are looking for a place to meet. We need ideas. Thanks

The Bullfather
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Tuesdays bald hill, umm, believe thursdays up in wading river at king kullen's parking lot. But Bald Hill draws the most on Long Island and would be a great place to show some cars and info about Figure 8s.

SuperShafts
06-30-2007, 09:02 AM
There is bald hill, yaphank, mastic, bellmore, ocean side, oakdale, sayville, deer park, hempstead x 2...
Then there is MCD's in maspeth, waldbaums in HB and francis lewis blvd. The city stuff is thurs and fri, which interferes with bellmore also on friday, then you have ocean side bump with mastic and yaphank on same days.

LongIslandJam
06-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Where in Hempstead, Supershafts?

The Bullfather
06-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Most figure 8 drivers are in the suffolk county area. I don't think Nassau is a good meeting spot for the drivers. I think Bald Hill is your best spot. Most people and most cars in Suffolk. I believe there is 3-5 dollar fee. But it is worth it, money goes towards the fire department, who put in their time for free.

figure849
06-30-2007, 11:24 AM
What time do you have to show up to get a spot ? can an area be reserved for the club ?

LongIslandJam
06-30-2007, 11:30 AM
You're right Bullfather, but if there's any hope of getting new folks into the sport, you got to explore the possibilities of Nassau County. No one here knows of Riverhead, (but oddly enough they know Islip)...

The Bullfather
07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
True, but many people forgot Riverhead is still open or didn't know of it! Bald Hill get about 2,000 on a great night. Then tons of people through the gate. Ummmm believe it opens at 4pm. I'll have to ask.

racerwife
07-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Artie, contact Kenny Hyde. He mentioned something to me about this Friday night in Patchogue... they close down main street and the cars are displayed in the center of town. It has something to do with Patchogue sale days I think he said. Hes done it before and said it is getting very popular with all types of racing vehicles. And there is lots of parking for trucks and trailers.
As for Bald Hill, as it has been stated before.... We've been there before, live within a 1/2 mile of it and "wouldn't" go back. Its the hangout for kids and their cars, blasting car stereos competing with each other, and a exhaust fume pit ! Of all the cars we witnessed, anything of "car show" quality or material we could put in one hand with room left over. The cars arrive early, many on line by 2:30 in the afternoon, show begins around 6:00 officially. There is NO CHANCE of you getting your truck and trailer in there or parked with anyone else unless you can arrive at such an early hour. And then you are there till close to the last to leave as you are not going to be able to get out past the tight confines of the other cars. I don't believe this is the best choice for racers to entice sponsors, or show off equipment nor answer questions, if you could hear them being asked.
Personally, I think the other destinations would be a better choice to try. Clean parking lot, ability to talk to interested individuals, trailers close by and safely parked, sounds alot better to us. Don't forget Safer is working on some ideas also.

SuperShafts
07-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I have been to every car cruise, to hang out, and other things..
Recently the past few years i have been to all of them for the soul purpose of getting people behind the motorsports parks and not hanging out, bald hill is not the place to count on any support...out of the several tuesday and thursday's i spent there i seen about 6 of all those thousands show up for anything we let them all know about or had ourselves

Out of the easy 15,000 people i spoke with at all those cruise spots, and those people are the people missing the road course and drag strip they used to use, very few showed up for anything.....but they'll all cry how they want and need and gotta and do anything.....riiiight. Leaving the arm chair is a whole nother issue and then they wonder why they have nothing.

So don't count on a huge response and be prepared to handle criticism nicely with a smile, and don't bother wasting your time trying to educate the unintelligible

Hempstead is at the new renovated store or whatever they turned it into, i wanna say a mile west of pizza hut, then there is another one by a drive in style place that is alittle east of that pizza hut, i know everything by site i am the worst person to ask for names of the places.

The track was packed last night though, my family stood the entire time..
Always made me wonder why they still sold tickets when they had no seating left, same as why there wasn't more seating still in between 2 and the back stretch

RGeeProductions
07-01-2007, 11:44 AM
The track was packed last night though, my family stood the entire time.. Always made me wonder why they still sold tickets when they had no seating left, same as why there wasn't more seating still in between 2 and the back stretch

More seating between turn 2 and the backstretch? There is maybe 8' width there. And the fence can't be moved out there as there would be no Rt 58 entrance then.

LongIslandJam
07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Supershafts,

Thanks for the information about the Hempstead Cruise Nights, but Pizza Hut hasn't been around in that area for a good 5 or 6 years... But from the sounds of it in East Meadow or Franklin Square...

Anyway, moot point. A good place for cruise night information is Special Interest paper which can be found at convenience stores. Also, they got an online site of listings at:
http://www.specialinterest.com/siv_events_r.cfm

And for the crowds, hey, pack them in, and have some fun. I understand the frustration of not finding a seat, but hey, I would find it more frustrating to get there and being refused entrance. Just another perspective.

Thanks,

Ka$h25
07-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I believe the Patchogue deal is something that has to be paid for in advance. I know our car goes there because 4 Seasons Sunrooms pays for a spot. Last year Riverhead Raceway had an area with cars. I guess you can call the track office and see if they have secured an area this year. I believe the event is every other Friday night during the summer.

SuperShafts
07-01-2007, 11:39 PM
More seating between turn 2 and the backstretch? There is maybe 8' width there. And the fence can't be moved out there as there would be no Rt 58 entrance then.

I stood there all night, looked like more than 8' to me, probably 6' between the fence and me and another 4' between my back and the good humor truck parked behind me, and quite a few more feet behind that truck...

Richie
07-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Nope, No way we aren't giving up the GoodHumer truck.

racing#s
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I live around the corner from a hot spot for all types of cars.It goes down on Wednesdays(eve,after 7ish),at Nathans ,Long Beach Rd. in Oceanside. The parking lot seems to be sectioned off, there's muscle cars, the 'fast & furious' type of cars, and a few drag cars,even a buch of bikes. I was always tempted to bring my beat up Enduro truck just to see a few heads spin...lol.

00 RBDJ
07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Tuesday starts at 5pm in Oyster Bay on Audrey St, right in the center of town. Thursday, 5pm in Oakdale on Montauk Hwy. in Wendy's shopping center. Friday's, there is one in Massapequa on Sunrise Hwy, also in North Bellmore on Sunrise Hwy, also Meschutt Beach in Hampton Bays, all start at 5pm. Saturday's, there's one at Cedar Beach on the south shore, off Ocean Pky., Deer Park on Commack Rd., Kohl's Shopping Center.

figure849
07-05-2007, 07:21 AM
I will go check out Wendy's on Montauk Hwy tonight after 5pm.

Mike Fields
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Andy, let me know when you decide to bring your Enduro Truck there. I'd pop over from Long Beach, just so I can see some of those faces!