PDA

View Full Version : RUDOLPH WINS WYOMING COUNTY RoC , HOLMES FOURTH

RGeeProductions
07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Last Sunday afternoon the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour returned to Wyoming County International Speedway in Perry , New York . The DeLange Young Guns were on hand in the Original Pizza Logs Modifieds. It would be a very successful day for the team.

Erick Rudolph of Ransomville started the North Region 75-lap feature from the pole in the #45 Original Pizza Logs Modified. He drove a smart, steady race, conserving his tires and was never seriously challenged. In the early stages he was chased by Brian DeFebo but remained in the lead. In the final laps he was tested by 2005 RoC Tour champion Matt Hirschman but pulled away to take the checkered flag first by a comfortable margin.

“It was a great day for us,” explained Rudolph. “We had a good racecar and starting on the pole helped. I was able to set my own pace and run the race the way I wanted to. Wyoming County has been good to me; I won my first SST feature here and now I’ve won my first Modified race here. I have a lot of laps here and I’m familiar with the track. I really wanted to do well here. The crew gave me a good racecar to drive. I didn’t know if going with the no-pit strategy was the thing to do, but it worked out as the tires held up really well and the risk paid off. I still had a good car at the end and I was able to pull away from Hirschman by a little bit. It felt good to see the checkered flag come out.

“I enjoy driving the Modified and running the RoC Tour. I enjoy going to the different tracks and gaining experience. I have a great group of people behind me and that makes it easier. I would like to thank my dad, my grandpa, all of the crew, Dave and Laura DeLange, and all of the sponsors for this opportunity. I couldn’t do any of this without them. I am proud to be the youngest RoC winner ever and be a part of the history. It’s a day I’ll always remember. I’m looking forward to be going back to Oswego next week.”

Bobby Holmes of Lockport also had a good finish in the #22 Original Pizza Logs Modified. He started the race in the 13th spot and ran conservatively in the early stages to conserve his tires. He pitted near the halfway mark for a new right rear tire and when the pit stops were completed he was seventh. He continued his conservative strategy until the final 15 laps, and then moved up to fourth at the checkered flag. It was his first top-five finish of 2007.

“We haven’t had much luck finishing races this season,” admitted Holmes. “I was being more conservative today. The crew gave me a good racecar to drive and we had a great pit stop. We waited until the end to make our move and got a top-five finish, which we really needed. I think if I would change anything, it would be to make my move a little earlier. But we got the top-five finish we needed and we have some momentum headed to Oswego next week.

Earlier in the day Rudolph drove the #12 Original Pizza Logs/PrimeTyme Motorsports/Brigham Concrete SST Sportsman in a 30-lap feature. Starting last in the 13-car field, he was up to fifth by lap five and battling for fourth when he was involved in a turn four incident that ended his day. He was credited with finishing 11th.

Rudolph will kickoff this weekend for DeLange Racing on Friday night at Spencer Speedway. He will drive the #12 Original Pizza Logs/PrimeTyme Motorsports/Brigham Concrete SST Sportsman in a 75-lap SST Modified Tour feature. On Saturday both DeLange Original Pizza Logs Modifieds will head to Oswego Speedway for a 75-lap Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour Central Region event. On Sunday Rudolph will make his first career start in a DIRTcar Sportsman at Rolling Wheels Raceway Park in Elbridge , New York.

Bruce Boucher/DeLange Racing

uticamike
07-20-2007, 11:08 PM
off RaceNY:

***Correction about this past weekends race at WCIS***
"The win brought the 16-year-old Rudolph was not only his first Race of Champions Tour victory but his first Modified win overall in just his sixth race. He is also the youngest driver and first teenager to win a Race of Champions Tour feature."

---Here is the correction:

I would like to point out that Eric, while his achievement is noteworthy and commendable, is NOT the first teenager to win a ROC Tour Feature.
Kory Rabenold did it last year at Mahoning Valley Speedway, and too was the youngest ROC Tour Race winner prior to Eric Rudolph, Kory was 17 years of age at the time of his win. That win helped Kory earn the Rookie of the Year Honors over Bobby Holmes last year.
Please correct your press release and any other stories that may be published. Thank you and congrats to your team.

Jared J. Welter