PDA

View Full Version : MIGHTY Mike

RGeeProductions
07-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Nice job of keeping away from the carnage all night.
Nice to see you in victory lane at last!!!

btgoss
07-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Yes nice job.

They way you saved all that time pushing the #23 out of the way, instead of trying to pass him on the outside. Well, I for one was thankful, that race had gone on far too long already. The last thing we needed was someone ACTUALLY RACING for a win.

Oh, and then complaining that Turbush roughed you up, during the 45 minute victory lane celebration. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

So, congratulations on your win, and thank you for doing your part to help get all of us fans home early, at least during the "race.'

badone07
07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Unfortuantely I missed it, but congrats Mike. :cheers:

RGeeProductions
07-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes nice job.

They way you saved all that time pushing the #23 out of the way, instead of trying to pass him on the outside. Well, I for one was thankful, that race had gone on far too long already. The last thing we needed was someone ACTUALLY RACING for a win.

Oh, and then complaining that Turbush roughed you up, during the 45 minute victory lane celebration. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

So, congratulations on your win, and thank you for doing your part to help get all of us fans home early, at least during the "race.'

Big difference with the 23-14 and the 8-14. The 23 went out to lunch and wouldn't move[finished 6th] and the 8-14 were fast and racing.

Golf Guy
07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Two big thumbs up to my man Mighty Mike!! Hopefully the train is back on the tracks.

The Bullfather
07-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I thought Turbush showed some respect, he could have drove through Mike but didn't!

Congrats Mike it was great to see you in victory lane again.

LongIslandJam
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Congrats Mike! About time we saw the wild man from Borneo back into victory lane...

btgoss
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think pushing a slightly slower car out of the way is good driving. I didn't like it when Tony Stewart did it at Daytona , and I don't like it here.

If he is happy with winning like that, then more power to him.

RGeeProductions
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think pushing a slightly slower car out of the way is good driving.

I do agree that pushing a car out of the way isn't the way to go, a few love taps should suffice BUT, 5 cars passed the 23, and in my mind, that's not slightly slower. That's much slower. And that was the only point I was trying to make.

SuperShafts
07-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Great Job Mike!

I had a family obligation Saturday and seems me not being there is a good thing...

Rubbin&Racin
07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Congrats Mike...:applause: :applause: :applause:

Richie
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I do agree that pushing a car out of the way isn't the way to go, a few love taps should suffice BUT, 5 cars passed the 23, and in my mind, that's not slightly slower. That's much slower. And that was the only point I was trying to make.

If five cars passed him why couldn't six or seven???

RGeeProductions
07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Laps and only 7 cars on the track, LOL!!!!!

Turbo
07-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Short track racing, btgoss? Why compare Tony Stewart doing it at a 2.5 mile track rather than saying the 24 doing it to his teammate at Martinsville and finishing 1st and 2nd still? That's the difference. 8 had control and let the 14 correct himself. Whether you don't like people using their bumpers or not, short tracks will continue to be bump and grind. It's the difference of people being in control doing it, or the people who are out of control who finish the job by spinning them out, instead of letting them correct. Congrats Mighty Mike!!! Good to see ya back in victory lane after some of the luck ya had this year. :applause:

P.S. Did the 8 try using the outside to try and pass him also?? Hmm, not a lot of people try to do that at good ole Riverhead!!! And that was before he used the bumper.

btgoss
07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I do think there was a difference between the thump the 14 placed on the 23, and the bump the 8 gave the 14. The 14 really punted the 23, allowing the other cars to pass when he was pushed up and "freight-trained'. So yes what the 8 did was very different (but let's be honest, is there anyone at the track with more experience then Dan Turbush, I bet he could strip the paint from the side of the car in front of him and the driver would never know.)

Lack of passing is not the problem at Riverhead, people can pass on the outside, it does happen from time to time. However when you allow the type of "passing" that was done to get the win, why bother passing?

The Late Models are not alone in not really working on the racing aspect of short track racing. The track needs to do more to promote real racing, and less pushing. But that is very hard to do, and to be honest I am not sure it can be done with the current situation.

The Bullfather
07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Many or most drivers block when a driver even looks high. They seem to race into the turns low and start drifitng up the track when someone is behind them that is strong. See it every Saturday night. We can talk about going high all we want, but what about drivers who block!?!

Turn2Guru
07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
It's funny how everyone has a favorite driver that can do no wrong. Mike moved a slower car that has in the past shown he can not be raced against. Where were all you people complaining about the #14's tactics when Danny just plain drove through the #35 of Ken Alfano while Ken was leading the double pointer on June 16th? I recall reading all the posts congratulating him on his awesome victory. Why was it okay for him to spin the leader out of the way and not for Mike to move someone out of the way? I am a huge fan of clean racing myself, and really could care less who wins if they deserve it. I just don't think you should condone it for some and bash others for doing what they needed to do to win. You all cry for fair and consitant officiating, yet you come on here and contradict yourselves the same way the officials do. I appreciate the fact you all have favorite drivers, but I, for one, have no idea of the difference between a "bump" or a "thump." I do know that Mike moved Kevin up the track and Kevin didn't spin out, he got freight trained back quite a few spots and finished 6th. Danny spun Ken and Ken finished 16th. Who is right and who is wrong??? You want to complain about thumping or bumping the leader, then do it for every driver who does it, not just a choice few. I would like to congratulate Mike on his win and also congratulate Danny on being patient and coming home second and only bumping the leader, not thumping him...

Turbo
07-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Well said turn 2!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Charlie's Angel
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd like to congratulate Mike. I wasn't there this weekend but I did hear all about it from Charlie. All in all.. Mike's a really nice guy and I like that he got a win. Good for you!!

btgoss
07-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Turn2, you're right in your observation that some people seem to be able to drive through others and not look like the bad guy. And just for the record, had I witnessed Ken Alfano being moved out of a win, I can guarantee I would have said something... trust me..

There is a difference between blocking and driving your line. The 23 was not blocking, he didn't really have that much time to block, the race was so disjointed with all of the problems that had happened. I do think he was taking his line, and as the leader he has that right.

When you have a weak division, you need to make sure all the drivers are on the same page and work to protect their division. This means showing each other much more respect and driving clean above all else. They can't afford to lose any cars at this point. I think this is where strong leadership from the track needs to be in place, to help these guys see the way to go. I just haven't see that at Riverhead for a long time. With the exception of the Figure Eight guys, in the past they have shown much more "esprit de corps."

Turbo
07-24-2007, 10:14 PM
DIRTTTYY DAN!!! BOOOOOOOOO THUMPER!! :mad:

badone07
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Many or most drivers block when a driver even looks high. They seem to race into the turns low and start drifitng up the track when someone is behind them that is strong. See it every Saturday night. We can talk about going high all we want, but what about drivers who block!?!

Great point. There would be less of it, if the mirrors were yanked out, like at other tracks.

Tower Man
07-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Mirrors out? I'm not thinking that would work.

Here's my theory...

Eliminate spotters. Now don't start yelling at me and telling me my crash into the wall scrambled my brain. Here's why.

In the modifieds you are in the straight away for less than 3 seconds. The Late Models just over 3 seconds. Okay, something happens. By the time the spotter see's it, hits the talk button, says go high or low or stop or whatever, it's too late.

On a short track that has 1 and a half grooves, you hear a car outside or inside for that matter. I have seen and heard so many drivers depending on spotters to drive the cars for them.

What is needed, is more black flags, more to the rear and park a car or too. Yes, you may loose a car, but you may gain 2 or 3 more. I call that addition by subtraction. 12 car features with 8 finishing are boring. We used to have heat races with 12 cars.

CRog00
07-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Yea but the 23 was running the middle of the track so there was no way to get by. The only options were to punt him or wait for him to wreck and i don't think Mike was gonna wait that long.

LongIslandJam
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
You guys are way off topic from congratulating Mike. Let's get back on topic, or we'll have to do you know what... Thanks!

DriveitinDeep
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
With the exception of a few, I can't remember seeing any of you guys on the racetrack with us. It's much easier to drive from the grandstand, try getting in a car and do it. Try reacting in a split second sometime and we'll see how good you are.
Remove the radios and mirrors and you'll have nothing left.
Removing the problems from the front row, adding more black flags and time trials shows will help.
Bumping and scraping and blocking (which I hate) is part of the game from the Saturday night warriors to the big boys on Sunday.

SuperShafts
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
With the exception of a few, I can't remember seeing any of you guys on the racetrack with us. It's much easier to drive from the grandstand, **try getting in a car and do it**. Try reacting in a split second sometime and we'll see how good you are.

Lol some have a problem driving on the street.... lol could you imagine them on the track and all of a sudden someone says in your ear hey 1 high in turn 2.... lmao

**Im game if someone wants a weekend off though

The Bullfather
07-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Great run Mike!

CRog00
07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Yea good run. Hope to see more of you in victory lane.