PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Handley Named EWSS Race Director

RGeeProductions
07-23-2007, 07:12 AM
C&C Racing Promotions recently announced the appointment of Chuck Handley of Oswego, NY as the Race Director of the first Annual East-West Supermodified Shootout™. The independent Supermodified race will be held in conjunction with the 5th Annual North-South Shootout™ on November 2&3, 2007 at Concord Motorsport Park in Concord, NC. Handley will oversee the rules implementation and enforcement as well as many of the race day activities for the Supermodifieds.

“It is important for us to protect the integrity of the North-South Shootout™,” said Promoter Charles Kepley, “and the best way to do that is to have honest, hard working and dedicated people on our staff. It is an honor and a privilege to have Chuck Handley as part of our team.”

In a continued effort to enhance the annual North-South Shootout™, C&C Racing Promotions announced back in March that it would host the East-West Supermodified Shootout™; adding Supermodifieds to the already impressive race program that features Tour-Type Modifieds. The Supermodified portion is expected to attract talent from the East Coast, Midwest and West Coast as well as Canada. The North-South Shootout™ will undoubtedly be the fastest, most exciting short track racing event of the year.

“I am honored to be a part of the North-South Shootout™,” said Handley, “and to have the opportunity to work with the staff and the competitors who have worked so hard to make this event a success up to this point. I know it has a level of prestige already with the Modifieds and I look forward to adding to that reputation with a great showing by the Supers.”

Handley brings along a wealth of experience in Supermodified racing to the East-West Supermodified Shootout™. For 10 years, Handley served as the President and Race Director of the International Supermodified Association (ISMA). He is currently in his fourth season as the Race Director at Oswego Speedway.

“As a well-respected, trusted member of the Super racing community, C&C Racing Promotions is confident that Handley is the right man for the job,” added Kepley.

With his vast experience in Supermodified racing, Handley understands the ins and outs of dealing with the multiple groups that are represented in this brand of racing including the nuances of the different clubs and the divergent specifications of the cars. Handley has a proven track record for successfully building cooperation and cohesiveness during this type of event.

“I believe that I have earned the trust from the various competitors from around the country,” said Handley. “They are confident that they will get a fair shake with me.”

Handley has orchestrated events similar to the East-West Supermodified Shootout™ events in Florida, North Carolina, Indiana, and throughout the northeast. He has been instrumental in the successes of collaborative races across the country including three East-West styled showdown events at Volusia County during Speedweeks in the early 90s, at Jennerstown Speedway in the mid-90s, and a stand-alone event at Indianapolis Raceway Park in 1995.

“The timing is right to re-introduce this race format,” said Handley. “There seems to be a lot of excitement about Super racing these days. There also seems to be a lot of consolidation of the Supers with teams crossing-over to compete at various sanctioned events. The Midwest Supermodified Association (MSA) and Oswego Speedway have a new partnership and the ISMA and West Coast guys seem to want to work together as well.”

Handley will be working closely with officials that will be appointed by ISMA, MSA, and the Western States Supermodified Racing League (WSSRL) to represent their groups in an effort to develop a fair and equitable set of rules. Officials from each of the organizations are expected to work alongside Handley during the race event as well.

Davey Hamilton will be the spokesperson for the Western contingent. Hamilton, who recently posted a top-ten finish in the 91st running Indianapolis 500 on May 27th, is the former owner of the WSSRL. Club President Howie Lane and Scott Martel will represent the interest of ISMA. Handley will represent the interest of the MSA until a formal representative can be announced.

“I think we will be able to come together and work out all the details,” said Handley with confidence. “We all share the goal of making Supermodified racing stronger and we all agree that this is the way to accomplish that goal. We all know that bringing the East and the West together is the way to do that.”

In 2007, the North-South Shootout TM will celebrate its fifth anniversary. The annual Modified racing spectacular has grown over the years gaining, national attention along with way. The inaugural event immediately jumped to the forefront of short track racing and has gained momentum ever since. On November 2&3, 2007, the North-South Shootout TM will again feature a 100-lap green flag main event for the mighty Modifieds while the support divisions will include the SK-Type Modifieds, Crate Motor SK-Type Modifieds and two divisions of racy vintage Modifieds. The excitement should hit an all-time high when the North-South Shootout TM is paired with the East-West Supermodified Shootout™-a 50-lapper for the winged warriors.

The event is a throwback of sorts, with drivers from various tracks and racing organizations joining together for two days of racing excitement at one of the fastest half-mile race tracks in the country, the famed tri-oval of Concord Motorsports Park in Concord, NC. The North-South Shootout ™ will feature time trials, heat races, and consolation event(s) for the Modifieds, Supermodifieds and SK-Type Modifieds.

“In the short-term, my goal is to make the East-West Shootout™ portion of this great event as successful as the North-South Modified portion already is,” continued Handley. “The long-term goal is to strengthen Supermodified racing and bringing all the various divisions together is best way to do that.”

For a comprehensive look at the North-South Shootout™ featuring the East-West Supermodified Shootout™ visit www.northsouthshootout.com. Tickets for this great racing event can be purchased now by logging on to the event website or by calling (336) 249-3759.

Dale Wolbrink/NSS PR