PDA

View Full Version : Guess the fine.....

racing#s
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
I wonder how much Stewart will be fined for saying 'bull#@%& in his Brickyard -victory interview. Is that one of those 'seven bad words' ?

wayne
07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
$25,000.....hhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Wheel Racing
07-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think it matters. It just shows another place where ESPN's racing coverage is no where up to the level it should be. Sure he was wrong, but where is the delay?? Also, how can we get Rusty Wallace and Andy Petree off these broadcasts?? Brent Musberger and Brad Daugherty need to go too. I know Daugherty has NASCAR ties, but that doesn't mean he should be in studio. Suzy Kolber?? Why is she even at the track?? Come on now. Dale Jarrett was a nice fill in and does a good job on the Busch races he announces. Jerry Punch was fine, but the rest of this team needs to get up to speed or just replaced. I can't believe how good Kyle Petty was for TNT. I am not DW fan, but at least FOX gets the broadcasts right. Oh well, time to go enjoy a Tony Stewart win!!!

W. J.
07-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I agree, Wheel, their broadcast team leaves much to be desired. Heck, I'm waiting for Rusty to make the same mistake Tony made today, as I've heard HIM use that word in interviews before.
Dale Jarrett does do a decent job in the booth, maybe it's time to hang up the helmet and move on like his father before him. Heck, Buddy Baker could sure add some color to ESPN's brodcasts.
Look on the bright side; they HAVEN'T brought in Sam Posey yet, LOL!!!:lol:

As far as a fine for Tony (or anyone on a live broadcast), how about the BROADCASTER who doesn't use a delay is the one to pay the fine!!!:mad:

racing#s
07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Rest in peace, Benny Parsons....he was great.
I personally can't stand the 'boogitty boogitty,lets go racing....',sick of it.
I forget the broadcaster guys name from Long Island, he's good too.
They need more guys like him.
Guys in suits narrating NASCAR races just don't cut it I think.

W. J.
07-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Bob Dilner is the LI guy you're thinking of. Already works for Speed, so not likely to find him on ESPN.

The Bullfather
07-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Bob Varsha is the other guy lol. But he's busy doing Formula One for Speed. Bob is from Northport. Love to watch the Barret-Jackson with him and co. they do a great job. Also like to see him on Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain. Bob Dillner is the one who does the Nascar coverage.

Ka$h25
07-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Sure he was wrong, but where is the delay??

Are you crazy? Cut it out? Off the top of my head there are 4 shows. (Around the Horn, PTI, Jim Rome is Burning, and Mike & Mike in the morning) Not to mention all their radio shows, sports center, and espn news. That now have an easy 15 minute segment to dedicate to what stewart did. Cut it out, and there goes the drama :p

I didn't really watch the race but I would think ESPN could put a better product than most if given the time. I would expect the first race they broadcast to be a hit. Consider it a PILOT lol. They'll get feedback and take it from there. I feel like ESPN is really starting to cover NASCAR the way they should.

allhailunc
07-30-2007, 03:35 AM
There should be no fine.those moron broadacsters are supposed to be on a delay system. It's almost like they look for certain drivers they know might "slip". They should fine ESPN, not Tony. :mad:

Dwight Clock
07-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Let me get this straight. NASCAR, who has perfected the art of speaking BS, is going to fine Stewart for saying 'BS'? :)

RGeeProductions
07-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Drivers already know they are not to curse from previous fines and NASCAR has made this clear.
Now, many say it's the broadcasters fault.
You guys are way too funny.
So, what is being said is that drivers can say what they want and it's the broadcasters job to edit it??? Good one. Only problem with that it is, it's still being said in real time at the track and NASCAR will still hear it and there would still be a fine, even it it wasn't aired...

W. J.
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Only problem with that it is, it's still being said in real time at the track and NASCAR will still hear it and there would still be a fine, even it it wasn't aired...
Would that include the 'radio chatter' that transpires between the driver, spotter and crew chief over radio frequencies that can be heard by the many fans who possess radio scanners and listen in, just as NASCAR does?
Of course, that would make every driver liable for a fine, since almost all do it (I've heard them through the years), so why isn't it the responsibility of the broadcasters to do what they can to prevent it from going out to the millions on TV and radio? Call in radio programs mostly all use a 7 second delay because of this, so why not live TV broadcasts?

SuperShafts
07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
IM gonna guess $50k...ah make that $100k

Not that I agree with it, because I do not...but I wouldn't be surprised if they take points also..

As per the listening in part on their radios, that's their's and you are listening in, no one asked you to, no one forced you too, however you were given the choice and are free to or not partake....

Freedom and choice for some is a huge responsibility that they can not handle.

310fig8
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
My bet is $25,000 and 25 driver points. I believe that's the way it was when Dale Jr. said it. The only differance then is that he was on NBC. ESPN is cable, I don't know if it's different there.

catfish
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I realize that he apologized and attempted to downplay it but what about Kyle Petty and The F-bomb he dropped a few weeks ago without any ramifications ?

SuperShafts
07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I realize that he apologized and attempted to downplay it but what about Kyle Petty and The F-bomb he dropped a few weeks ago without any ramifications ?

That was listening in....again that's their radio, you want to listen in and play it on TV you take responsibility for it....

Not the driver or team...or better yet, if the radio is a problem for people to understand the situation, then do not allow it to be listened to..

hollywoodmic
07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
How can you say the broadcasters??? Do you mean the producers of the telecast?? "The Broadcaster" is the pit reporter, the booth guy the gal at the desk, how should they be responsible??? I've been at races and call home to say such and such was on the pole, my brother is watching it and says that that driver is five cars away from taking time. There must be some kind of delay, and the producers should have taken care of that. The real issue is what came out of his mouth, that was going over the PA and everything, just like they are responsible for their actions on the racetrack he should be resposible for his mouth as well. I say give him exactly what you gave Jr. last year and be consistent.

W. J.
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
By broadcasters, I DON'T mean the men and women with microphones, I mean the owners of the BROADCAST network that is airing the show. Delay systems are cheap compared to some of the other things they spend money on, so there is no excuse not to have one to use at the appropriate time, like during unpredicatable (?) LIVE interviews.

The delay you refer to in phone conversations with your brother is 'up-link delay', the time it takes the signal to go from the broadcast truck, to the satellite, and down to the studio, before the additional delay that happens again when they send it out to the cable, satellite, etc, for actual broadcast. The system I am referring to is (in simple form) an actual dual tape machine set-up, where the original feed goes to the record heads, and placed the proper distance away*, another machine using the playback heads for the feed.

*If the machines run at 7 1/2 inches per second (IPS), they would need to place the heads 52 1/2 inches away from each other to accomplish a 7 second delay. Then if someone says a "bad word", they push a button that cuts off sound at the playback head. I am sure that there are also electronic versions of the same thing.

hollywoodmic
07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
There has to an electronic system, you're right. As for the delay I'm speaking about I'm talking perhaps a 10 minute difference in time, is that possible? If so you learn something new everyday. I'm with you the network should have done something, yet it was Tony Stewart who used that actually words, I say most of the blame should go to him.

SuperShafts
07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Is the reason for this thread for the amount of the fine....

Or are you all really that bent out of shape over the use of the word bs???

Which is it?

W. J.
07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
There has to an electronic system, you're right. As for the delay I'm speaking about I'm talking perhaps a 10 minute difference in time, is that possible? If so you learn something new everyday. I'm with you the network should have done something, yet it was Tony Stewart who used that actually words, I say most of the blame should go to him.
10 minutes is the type of delay that should be used instead of sticking a micrphone in the face of a driver who's just been in a crash, asking, "What happened out there, who's at fault?" That usually results in much worse than what Tony said. But during a live broadcast, 7 seconds has proven to be enough time for a director in the booth to react and censor the offending word or statement. It needs to be done by anyone who plans to do a live broadcast of an event where non-employees (the participants in the event) are going to be interviewed live on the air.
As to his actual utterance, he should be fined 10% of what the broadcast network gets fined for not preventing it from going out on the air in the first place. Having watched it a few times (in home replay), Tony knew what he was doing, knew what he was going to say, it was not an 'emotional utterance', like you'd get from a driver just after an incident. Personally, I agree with the statement, just not the way it was publically made.
We try to keep that type of thing off this message board, and for the most part, all our posters do co-operate in that effort and we thank them for doing so. Some people's 10 year old kids come here to read, and they should not be exposed to that type of thing. We don't have the luxury of a '7 second delay' feature, but we do keep a sharp eye out, LOL!

310fig8
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
The fine is in.....$25,000 and 25 driver points for Stewart and 25 owner points for Joe Gibbs.

SuperShafts
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Now that's bs... The flag was thrown the points shouldn't be negotiable, one thing has nothing to do with the other...fine ok sure...but penalize the points and the owner and team.....

randomrodder
07-31-2007, 06:09 PM
What gets me is how NASCAR fines a driver and team owner money and deducts points for altercations on and off the track. Then they use these same altercations to promote NASCAR racing. So, what is it? Detrimental or a promotional gimmick?

W. J.
07-31-2007, 06:34 PM
What gets me is how NASCAR fines a driver and team owner money and deducts points for altercations on and off the track. Then they use these same altercations to promote NASCAR racing. So, what is it? Detrimental or a promotional gimmick?

Very good point.

RickFigure8
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
You have to do something that makes them think before they do it again. Do you think any of them are concerned about the money, the points makes the thought stick not to do it again.
The team communications was mentioned here earlier. Technically there is not suppossed to be any profanity over any broadcast communications. CB, ham radio, business, public service, and all other two-way communications. But this is all watched over by the FCC which is basically non existant these days, especially since Stern went satellite, lol. Back in the 70's when I first got involved in the two-way business I knew of a couple cases where business owners were contacted by the FCC over things said on their radios.

racing#s
07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Just a wacked thought, I wonder if the 'f' word would be a costlier fine ?!
It wouldn't surprise me if in the future they're actually going to assign a fine to the degree of the curse. I'm sure Gibbs isn't too happy about the points removed, he's also super religious so the 'cussing' isn't sitting too well with him..lol. The fact that Stewart's kind've like the current 'badboy' of NASCAR, it's great for him.

Teds Race Tours
07-31-2007, 07:40 PM
A 25 point fine doesn't mean a thing as long as the 20 makes the chase, as the points reset at that point. It would take an injury or an amazing amount of luck for the 20 not to make the Chase.

CRog00
08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
My bet is $25,000 and 25 driver points. I believe that's the way it was when Dale Jr. said it

I agree. He said the same 4 letter word as Jr, therefore he should be docked the same that Jr was. Oh yeah, Jr also got the team docked 25 owner points, too.