PDA

View Full Version : My Visit to Mahoning Valley.....It's a long one...

EnduroFromDE
07-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I made it to my first race at Mahoning Valley Speedway last night. That track looks so much different then the pictures, it is a great looking track. I took the hour and a half trip up getting there just as driver's meeting ended. We went up in the stands for the pits and watched both Enduro races. Even with the low car count, they were pretty good races. Man, I sure do miss running these things. I did notice two things, one is the way cars are exiting the track, I did not understand that. Can anyone clear this up for me and anyone else they may not know. Are you supposed to wave your arm for a lap before you come in or what? Another thing is there was a driver that seemed to take the black flagging in to his own hands. A car was being black flagged for dragging a front bumper, and was slowing down on the inside, another car came off turn four and nailed them in the back end. The car spun out and hit the inside guard rail in the front stretch. That could have been worse than it really was. It almost look like he meant to do it. The outside of the track was clear and the slower car was almost in the grass. After the race, the one with the dragging bumper looked all over the place and searching the tow trucks, trying to find his front bumper. A little while later I see him walking onto the track where his bumper was stuck on the other side on the rail he hit. Other than that, both race ran smoothly with no interuptions.
When I was walking around after the race Sunday, it seems like some of the street stocks and Mod. guys, and gals, where interested in the enduros. I saw a few people hanging around Mike's winning car, by the way congrats, and asking questions. I stayed around long enough to watch the first 75 laps of the street stocks, and then about 30 mins. of rain. My dad's is in the middle of kidney stones. We had to skip the Delaware State Fair's Demo Derby on Saturday night, but we still came up for the NEETS. The Doctor gave him some strong pain killers, but they only last for about six hours. He took the only one he had around 2 O'Clock after the 6/8 race. Of course when left, six hours later, they wore off. Every bump we hit, and going down 476 and 95, there's plenty, he felt, and he let me knew he felt it.
Anyway congrats to Joe and Mike on their wins, and hope to see everyone again soon, on the track next time.

Erin C
07-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey Steve...

Vern won the 4cyl race...I'm a little confused on who you are talking about..hehe..

CJfilms
07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
First off, there were only two Mikes that ran during that whole day (SS included)...Mike Ventura and Mike Dunn...so I'm not too sure where Mike came from, but hey, Congrats anyway! :-B

Secondly, I'm glad you made it there...that means my directions were good! WOW! :lol: And I'm glad you had a good time.

Now...As for exiting the track... Driver's are told during the meeting that "if you want to get off the track, wave your hand like hell" There is someone who opens/closes the pit gate, they usually have a radio along with myself and Matt and the turn 4 flagger.... So as long as you start waving your hand before you get there, we will know to open the gate....

If you noticed, we tend to ready the gate even if someone gets close and they are high enough AND going slow enough. There were a couple of times yesterday when the gate got pulled open and shut quickly because there were cars going slow and high, but not pulling off.

Also, please take note... WAVE YOUR HAND INSIDE THE CAR...PLEASE!!!

Lonnie Behler, please do not do that again, EVER!!!! He waved his hand OUTSIDE his car. That is a big no no, it's just too dangerous to try. The possibilities are endless when you think about how easy it is for something to happen in that situation....

As for the bumping issue.... there was a lot of rough driving yesterday. Not too much that there was a problem, but enough to be noticed...even in the stands. This was our highest 4 cylinder count this year and it was great seeing the action. We are watching when it starts to get rough, Matt waved the black flag a few times just as a warning. Remember, this is an enduro race and you will see much more bumping than in regular racing. How much depends on how intentional it is....when we see it becomes more intentional bumping and less rubbing and reacting, then we will be ready to handle it.

Matt is certainly not afraid to throw a black flag at you...hey don't forget, he tried to stop a race one time with just his mug!!! ....scary part is it worked! :eek:

EnduroFromDE
07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Sorry there. I know who it was that won had a V in it but forgot the car number. I was thinking of the red 27v drivin by I believe a Mike. But indeed it was Vernon McLaughlin the 6m that drove to victory. Like I said sorry.

CJfilms
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh man Steve......the 27v WAS MIKE VENTURA!!!! lol, slow down, take a breath...

in.....

out....

Now, where do you keep coming up with all these names?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: