PDA

View Full Version : Mod Series Scene

KickItUp
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Boy, that was quite an article over there by Walt Newcomb.. Doesn't say much for Riverhead Raceway.. I don't know what else to say really.. He makes the place look like a joke.. And this is an article, not a post in a thread..

Just wondered if anyone else read it.. Harsh..

debbie33
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
It wasn't that harsh I don't think. It summed up the night rather well. It was the same stuff people were talking about on here for the week after that race.

W. J.
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
You hit the nail right on the head, Debbie. Walt is a good writer and a keen observer of racing. More than that, he tells what he sees and feels, without going nuts, just the plain truth as seen through his eyes. I hope all the right people see his story.

KickItUp
07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I too actually agree with it, so much so I had no desire to watch the LM's last weekend, and did not, as well as walking away from the modifieds after being disgusted with a particular driver, two actually..

But at this time, the track itself, needs all the support and good press it can get, or else it will further go down hill, and sooner or later be gone.. If I was someone considering taking my family out for a night at the races, I would not after reading that article.. Nor would I want to sponsor a car.. That's if I didn't know all about racing..

I don't know, maybe he is completely right.. just wondered what others thought...

hollywoodmic
07-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Nah, Walt is one of the best. You get what you get from Walt, his honest opinion. I was not present but I talked to some that traveled hundreds of miles to be there that night and they were disgusted.

It's a shame with such low car counts drivers have to GO GO GO GO on the first lap, or BLOCK someone on lap one. I used to always say to my driver when I spotted in the Modifieds, "We are gonna loose a few to gain a few at the start here, be patient and we'll be up front in no time." It worked. Before I started saying it, we wrecked 5 weeks in a row.

The problem isn't the article, it's the lack of respect these guys and gals have for one another. I read all of Walt's stuff, he is truly one of the best, and after such a shi*ty night, he was entitled to that opinion.

bulldozer
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
I hope he wrote an article on the Mods this week, just as bad, maybe worse, but we just didn't see cars hooked together, that's all. We saw cars riding over the top of each other, spinning each other out. I saw one leader of the race start the race in turn three. No lazy yellow? Just my opinion and the Late Models had a good show, now that we went to a time trial show. Hopefully they do that in every division. I think racing from the back is great for the fans who want to see a lot of cautions. But if you have the fastest car, you should start up front like down south. You will see better racing and cars that DESERVE to start up front because they cut a good lap, just like in Cup. We don't have the laps and the big track like others to start from the back to the front every week. The guys that start in the rear hope for cautions. Just my opinion. 81

modified_fan
07-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I've always enjoyed Walt's viewpoints, both written and in conversation. He's like Howard Cosell saying what needs to be said, yet from the viewpoint of someone who loves the sport.

He mentioned how much Tommy Jr. livened up the lull during the LM carnage (which he certainly did). How about getting Walt, a Halpin, or someone else to be a third in the booth for a bit on next year's memorial night.

Hell, Walt has told me Tommy Sr. stories that have had me laughing big time. Having some of you share with the crowd during the yellows would add to the Memorial and that special night's overall entertainment.

Teds Race Tours
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Just my opinion and the Late Models had a good show, now that we went to a time trial show. Hopefully they do that in every division. I think racing from the back is great for the fans who want to see a lot of cautions. But if you have the fastest car, you should start up front like down south. You will see better racing and cars that DESERVE to start up front because they cut a good lap, just like in Cup. We don't have the laps and the big track like others to start from the back to the front every week. The guys that start in the rear hope for cautions. Just my opinion. 81

You just don't get it. People want to be entertained for their admission dollars. Seeing a single file festival with the fast cars starting up front is boring. If you want to see that, go watch a cup race. Short track racing is the best Racing value is the world, BECAUSE we get to see talented drivers work their way through the field. If they start 15th, and only get to 8th, so be it, but putting the fast cars up front every week would be a horribly boring product.

RGeeProductions
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
I am with you on that Ted.
Except for the few, as mentioned elsewhere, that should start in the rear till able to hold their own.

RACENUT
08-01-2007, 02:47 AM
I Don't Think Starting The Fastest Cars Up Front Is The Way To Go. The #8 Lm Starting 1'st That Wasn't too Exciting. Imagine #2 Mod Starting On The Pole In The Feature, How About #00 Blunderbust Starting On The Pole In The Blunderbust, Better Yet Roger Starting First In The Figure 8, That Would Not Be To Interesting At All.
Just Get The Drivers To Calm Down A Little, If They Spin Somebody, send Them To The Rear, After A Few Races They Will Get The Message. With The Fastest Cars Starting In The Rear, At Least You Get To See Some Passing.

The Bullfather
08-01-2007, 06:54 AM
We could see Tommy #00 BB lap the whole field. lol

art11758
08-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Walts article seemed fair to me.(note: I wasn't there. Last years "77" was enough for me) Maybe the truth is not to some folks liking.

With regards to starting the fast guys up front. I went to my online dictionary and looked up racing.

Quick definitions (racing)
noun: the sport of engaging in contests of speed

What sort of contest would it be if the fast guys were already up front????
Nothing I would pay to see. Ted got it right. See you all this Saturday.

bulldozer
08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Ted, I think the 99 car of Jack Orlando started last, which was only 11th, I know, but he was the fastest car on the track at the end. He was going for second when the checkered flag waved. You really don't get what I'm saying; CAUTIONS or a race. The slow cars start up front because they haven't done well the last three weeks. That's because they are the ones causing the cautions. Whether it's an ill handling car or driver error, thats why they're up front. Let them earn a win and time up front. I mean if you want a train race, watch the mods everyweek. The only way there's passing is if there's a wreck or a slow bean up front. The fans want to see their favorite driver win. They want to see a race without cautions. I would love to see all the divisions time everyweek. Then maybe you could run every class, every night, because there would be better racing and enough time to run them all. I wouldn't mind myself starting in the rear, but the race for us is 20 laps, just not enough time on a 1/4 mile track to come to the front without cautions. Maybe if they bumped the laps up in every division, then maybe people would be more patient, but then they did that with the Late Models and they had a bad night. I get what you guys are saying, watching the guys come from the back to the front is great, but that also sometimes causes some cautions too. The slower guys chopping and blocking lead to spins and cautions. A drivers view. 81

scottyboy39
08-02-2007, 01:49 AM
I Don't Think Starting The Fastest Cars Up Front Is The Way To Go. The #8 Lm Starting 1'st That Wasn't too Exciting. Imagine #2 Mod Starting On The Pole In The Feature, How About #00 Blunderbust Starting On The Pole In The Blunderbust, Better Yet Roger Starting First In The Figure 8, That Would Not Be To Interesting At All.
Just Get The Drivers To Calm Down A Little, If They Spin Somebody, send Them To The Rear, After A Few Races They Will Get The Message. With The Fastest Cars Starting In The Rear, At Least You Get To See Some Passing.

Right on. I couldn't agree more with the cars in the back. I like to see passing and faster guys cutting their up. I just found this board through a friend of mine, but not new to racing. I grew up racing everything I could drive or ride, but don't have the money to do it now. But after 15 years of going to Dover twice a year, and spending hundreds of dollars to watch a yawn fest, I have come back home to my local racers. I'd much rather spend my money on guys (gals) who are just like me and love to race for the joy of it, not to race for a billion dollar company. I miss Freeport and Islip. Everybody have a safe race this weekend as I will be there roooting and cheering you guys on. :wave:

Dwight Clock
08-02-2007, 06:06 AM
I scarcely know where to begin here. I do know that starting the fast cars in the front would be the worst that could happen. When L.I. legends such as Jarzombek, Hendrickson, Harbach, and DeAngelo were winning all of their races they routinely started from 10th to 16th to do so. And watching those guys come from the back each week is what packed the house at Islip, Riverhead, and Freeport. The bulk of the problem is rules. They have gone unchecked for so long that today's modified is but a distant relative of what a true modified was intended to be. In qualifying for the August 1963 100 lapper at Islip Bob Rossell set a new track record of 13.51 seconds. It was done in a home built car with a home built engine that cost less than $2500 and raced on 10" M&H Racemasters that cost $65 new and lasted half a season if not damaged in a crash. When Islip shuttered in 1985 the track record was around 12 seconds flat and was done in a car that cost over $40,000 and raced on $175 Goodyears that were trash after one night. A 1600% increase in cost to go 1 1/2 seconds faster? Give me a break! The LM class that you watch now started in 1979 at Islip and Riverhead as a Street Stock class where guys could build a complete car for under $5000 and go racing. Often the SS feature was a better race than the modified feature. Why? Because the rules allowed for ingenuity and driver ability mattered. Now, in both the mods and LMs the cars are cookie cutter replicas of each other, too wide and fast to allow for much passing. You can't win from the back so just start the fast cars up front. IMO that would just be the final nail in the coffin of two once proud divisions.

W. J.
08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Very well said, Dwight. Part of the problem is most forget or did not see what you so eloquently described as racing when it was good. The removal of innovation from the teams (and rules), which went to the factory when everyone started buying cars, has greatly hurt racing on the local level. Your post reminds me (and others, I'm sure) of what racing was when it was REALLY good.

Teds Race Tours
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I scarcely know where to begin here. I do know that starting the fast cars in the front would be the worst that could happen. When L.I. legends such as Jarzombek, Hendrickson, Harbach, and DeAngelo were winning all of their races they routinely started from 10th to 16th to do so. And watching those guys come from the back each week is what packed the house at Islip, Riverhead, and Freeport. The bulk of the problem is rules. They have gone unchecked for so long that today's modified is but a distant relative of what a true modified was intended to be. In qualifying for the August 1963 100 lapper at Islip Bob Rossell set a new track record of 13.51 seconds. It was done in a home built car with a home built engine that cost less than $2500 and raced on 10" M&H Racemasters that cost $65 new and lasted half a season if not damaged in a crash. When Islip shuttered in 1985 the track record was around 12 seconds flat and was done in a car that cost over $40,000 and raced on $175 Goodyears that were trash after one night. A 1600% increase in cost to go 1 1/2 seconds faster? Give me a break! The LM class that you watch now started in 1979 at Islip and Riverhead as a Street Stock class where guys could build a complete car for under $5000 and go racing. Often the SS feature was a better race than the modified feature. Why? Because the rules allowed for ingenuity and driver ability mattered. Now, in both the mods and LMs the cars are cookie cutter replicas of each other, too wide and fast to allow for much passing. You can't win from the back so just start the fast cars up front. IMO that would just be the final nail in the coffin of two once proud divisions.

I know the track record at Islip when it closed was around 11.6 seconds for the mods, but I don't have the exact time. Can anybody remember the exact track record at Islip?

I agree with ya pretty much 100%. I am glad that my mom took me at such an early age, and I have awesome memories that go back as far as 1971, and I would definitely call the 70's and early 80's my "Good Old Days" The problem today is that 2007 will someday be remembered as somebodies good old days. I hope it lives up to what it should be.

Ted, I think the 99 car of Jack Orlando started last, which was only 11th, I know, but he was the fastest car on the track at the end. He was going for second when the checkered flag waved. You really don't get what I'm saying; CAUTIONS or a race. The slow cars start up front because they haven't done well the last three weeks. That's because they are the ones causing the cautions. Whether it's an ill handling car or driver error, thats why they're up front. Let them earn a win and time up front. I mean if you want a train race, watch the mods everyweek. The only way there's passing is if there's a wreck or a slow bean up front. The fans want to see their favorite driver win. They want to see a race without cautions. I would love to see all the divisions time everyweek. Then maybe you could run every class, every night, because there would be better racing and enough time to run them all. I wouldn't mind myself starting in the rear, but the race for us is 20 laps, just not enough time on a 1/4 mile track to come to the front without cautions. Maybe if they bumped the laps up in every division, then maybe people would be more patient, but then they did that with the Late Models and they had a bad night. I get what you guys are saying, watching the guys come from the back to the front is great, but that also sometimes causes some cautions too. The slower guys chopping and blocking lead to spins and cautions. A drivers view. 81

81. I get exactly what you are saying. I have always thought the Chargers should be 25 laps and the Lms 30-35, and the mods 50 on a weekly basis, so I even agree with you there on that point.

The days of 40-45 Chargers in the Pits, 20-25 LM's and 30-35 BBusts are long over. What that also means is the track making enough money from the pit gate alone to cover purses is also over. The front gate is more important than ever. If you want people coming back each week, there needs to be entertainment value in it for them. Single File snoozefests with the fastest cars starting up front isn't going to keep people coming back on a semi weekly to weekly basis. If you start on the pole in 100 races, you would probably win 90 of them. If you start last in a 100 races, you'd probably win 10 of them. I'd rather watch the 10 races you won from last, and I'm sure 90% of the paying fans who have no rooting interest in any particular driver would agree. I am neither a fan of yours, or a hater, but you are definitely one of the drivers I look to on a weekly basis to supply some entertainment for my $20-25 admission fee. I could understand a driver wanting to start near the front each week, but if Charlie J, Freddie Harbach, Don Howe, Robin Vollmoeller, Paul McElearney, Bruce Edwards, Peggy Smith, Mike Ewanitsko and many others could come from the back, so can today's drivers.