PDA

View Full Version : Great start and awesome finish the middle aaaah

scottyboy39
08-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Wow, what a great all around day for the chargers and blunderbusts. Watching Tommy 'Wild Child' cut his way up was great to see and drives the point home of the faster guys at the back makes better racing. Who thought that the 45 minute time between the end of the Charger race and the first Modified to roll out was more than enough time to address the light issue? As a paying fan, I thought it was stupid to waste almost a hour when they knew about it before. But the first 45 laps was pretty good racing then the caution bonanza. Then to see TC and Mike Stefanik battle it out for 15 laps was great. You guys had the fans on their feet cheering in the middle of 1 and 2. As a fan, I liked the new format, it made for great racing for the eight transfer spots. Good to see the number eight in the field. He worked so hard for about 7 laps trying to get around the 8th place car. Great racing, although some will not say so.

Teds Race Tours
08-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I thought last night was the best racing the track had to offer. The BB race was great. The Chargers ran a crisp race, and the Modifieds had a lot of passing. Early on you could tell there was a high groove, which made for a lot of room out there.

Those middle 50 laps I do not blame on Happy. Some of the cautions were borderline. The Wayne Anderson Caution was a down right shame, That car was much closer to the infield light poles that the racing surface, and there was no reason to "put it out". The biggest shame of each caution was that it took so long to restart the race, even from a minor spin.

And yes, the heat races were very entertaining.

modified_fan
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
1. What an excellent night of modified racing. The time trials were so crisply run as norm for the tour. The flash races were a treat with drivers showing a degree of desperation stemming from their being on the bubble. This format reminded me of the fun associated with the North South Shootout, yet on a lesser 1 day level. The big race was pure fun. Passing, some spinning and crashing, sparks flying, tempers raging..........damn........mods can be great!

2. TC and Stefanik's battles lap after lap had to be one of the high points of the evening. These guys just went at it like a pair of gladiators. I'm sitting back thinking I'm watching Charlton Heston (Ben Hur for you younger ones) banging Russell Crowe (Gladiator) for lap after lap......whipping their own horses.......whipping each other....whipping each other's horses...and taking no prisoners in the process. Tis a shame that that Riverhead regular driving at least a lap or so with a flat couldn't have been considerate enough (see comments bout Bill Park below) to work his way away from the action, instead making his misfortune the cause of the demise of the 16 and 36.

3. Bob Finan is a true asset to the track. It is not easy to say articulate entertaining spoken comments hour after hour. (His partner Mr. Bressler is getting better year by year.) Being an Aquebogue (4 miles from the track) native, I (nor anyone living near here I asked) can not remember any of those T-storms striking out here on Friday.

BUT that is irrelevant! Mr. Finan took a rough situation and did all he could with it. He has to be commended for his fill of interviews and repartee. Just imagine what down time at the track would like be without him.

4. Say what you will about the lights. Keeping infrastructure in 100% working order is not easy. The place misses Wayne Shortmeyer. Such stuff happens. (BUT........hey......I'll ask again......while I'm BSing here.......can we.........PLEASE.....fix the scoreboard someday???)

5. Bill Park! Wow....what a ride. The man probably had a huge chance for the win after one great ride. However, being the classy man he is, he did not bang the tour racer in the tour race to get it.

6. Justin Bonsignore....What an eye opener drive. Way to go young man! I can't help but think that he would do rather well, if his group could finance a tour ride. The bumps and dumps of regular Riverhead races might not be the best for his long term development. Regardless, congratulations!

7. Was it just me or did yellows seem very out of control for a tour race? It seemed like certain drivers just lined up where they wanted to. The 96 for certain after he brought out the yellow for a spin.

WEEZER
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
That was the best tour race I've seen at RH in quite a while, plenty of passing early on and a great battle between TC and Stefanik. I think TC got what he deserved, but too bad for Stefanik, also tough break for Tony Ferrante. It's amazing that after those fireworks there was not an altercation in the pits, good thing it wasn't a regular Saturday nite race, probably would have needed the Suffolk Police and National Guard. What got into Jerry Marquis, thought he was a cleaner driver? Wouldn't have been RH with out the light fiasco, actually thought I'd be home by 10 pm, silly me. Is it me or was there a bazillion mobile homes out in the parking lot, (where do these people get the money???) All in all, a great night of racing.

RGeeProductions
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
That was the best tour race I've seen at RHD in quite a while, plenty of passing early on and a great battle between TC and Stefanik. I think TC got what he deserved but to bad for Stefanik, also tough break for Tony Ferrante. It's amazing that after those fireworks there was not an altercation in the pits, good thing it was, not a regular sat nite race, probably would have needed the suffolk police and national guard. What got into Jerry Marqiue, thought he was a cleaner driver? Would;nt have been RH with out the light fiasco, actually thought I;d be home by 10 pm, silly me. Is it me or was there a bazillion mobile homes out in the parking lot, (where do these people get the money???) All in all, a great night of racing.

I gotta agree. Great race. Not sure if the TC got what deserved is right as Mike was hungry and really didn't have the room when it occurred and I am a Steffy fan!!! If the incident didn't happen, I really can't say who would have won between the 2!!!! And I will get comments but, no altercations in the pits, well WMT are different people then Saturday night racers, yup, it's true!!! And it HAS happened with WMT, mmmm, Blewett and TC come to mind!!! As for being home by 10, well, if the light thing didn't happen, we would have!!! Nice run show except for that. I think many motorhomes are tour people. Much cheaper than the long distances they have to go to, then an expensive hotel or driving all night after a day at the races to get home...

W. J.
08-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Justin Bonsignore deserves some mention for his great run, coming back from his early season wrist injury, and showing many last night what a true talent he is, despite what he may think is a 'sophomore jinx'. He demonstrated just how smart a race he can drive, avoiding all the mayhem, and bringing his car home in a solid 4th place finish. Way to go, Justin! :cheers:

I must also agree with Modified Fan, true class shown by Bill Park running to a clean second place finish, driving like the gentleman he is. Many could learn from the example he sets week in and week out. :cheers:

RGeeProductions
08-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Ah yes, forgot to add that.
Great runs by Bill AND Justin.....
And even Bob Finan for being put on the spot with the lighting issue....

Golf Guy
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Great, great race. I loved watching the battles between the 16/36 and the 02/12. I was getting frustrated about the lighting, but it was definitely worth the wait. Congratulations to the 20 and 23 on their performances.
Also, great job by the BB and Chargers putting on a efficient and entertaining race.
I also want to give a big thumbs up to Bob Finan. Great job with the interviews during the delay.

debbie33
08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I was not there last night, but we watched the highlights on Mod Series Scene and when Kenny said the lost lights because of lightning, I was like what??? We live less than 1/4 mile behind the track and I know we have not had any lightning at our house in awhile. :confused:

vsmidge68
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM
We were sitting next to people who stayed in campers @ the track the night before and said there was no lightning, but ok whatever...By the way, I've said for years that Bob Finan could make a raindrop seem interesting. You just gotta love that man!!!!:cheers:

nobandwagonhere
08-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Great, great race. I loved watching the battles between the 16/36 and the 02/12. I was getting frustrated about the lighting, but it was definitely worth the wait. Congratulations to the 20 and 23 on their performances.
Also, great job by the BB and Chargers putting on a efficient and entertaining race.
I also want to give a big thumbs up to Bob Finan. Great job with the interviews during the delay.

The best part of the night. The 02/12 battle and the 16/36 battle. I love to watch Blewett and T.C. drive. Even though most people boo T.C., I still love to watch him..lol.

Jimmy Blewett pulled a move going into 1 that almost made me stand up. He fired it in so hard underneath 2 cars (without touching them) that I thought he was going to end up next to me in turn 2.

Bill Park finishing 2nd. What can I say. Very nice.

Justin....4th. Wow! He drove that race by the book. He did everything he was supposed to do. Patience is the key. Very impressive.

In the beginning I thought the race was going to be another parade. But the last 30-40 laps made up for it PLUS some.

Jaws
08-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Passing!!! That was a welcome sight last night.

Also the Riverhead regulars had a great night last night.

Bill Park showed why after 30 + years he is a well respected professional race car driver. A lot of guys would have banged Donnie out of the way. Great job Bill.

Heats that mean something in a 34 car field that was great.

The regular classes did a nice job with nice fields of cars.

Except the lights and the long cautions, it was a good night.

Wheel Racing
08-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I gotta agree. Great race. Not sure if the TC got what deserved is right as Mike was hungry and really didn't have the room when it occurred ...

-Don't forget that TC drove over the top of Stefanik to take the lead originally. TC blocked as hard as he could, and I can't blame Stefanik for getting aggressive after being squeezed into the wall 3X while attempting outside passes.

-I was very impressed with Justin, especially after being away for the injury. 140 laps can take it's toll on drivers. Great job in the heat race also.

-Bill Park proved me wrong again. Very impressive run and if there were 5 to go at the end, I think we would be adding Park to the list of regulars to pull off a Tour win.

-JR and Jimmy put on a great show of exciting racing. I think JR is ready to win one of these big races yet.

-I loved the Flash format! It was nice to see some Tour cars turning more than 2 laps before they loaded up to go home. I could never understand how a driver could get better at a track without more competitive laps. Heat races should always count!! (in all divisions)

-The light situation was embarrassing. We do all we can to impress visitors to the track, but we can't fix that?? Thank God for Bob Finan. He is a true professional and had to be pulling his hair out scrambling to turn that mess into something.

-Funny observation was how fast the Tour drivers can drive with a flat while chasing the pace car, but the regulars can't even steer the cars off the track during a weekly Saturday night show! (can of worms has been opened.)

-How did JR not get his spot back when the caution was thrown before he spun??

-Jerry Marquis must have learned something from TC the way he kept squeezing Jimmy Blewett into the wall and then driving into and through some other cars. Not the same guy that I've watched win here before. What a shame.

W. J.
08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
-How did JR not get his spot back when the caution was thrown before he spun??-
You have to remember that caution laps count (including the cars track position), and he lost his position by virtue of spinning, even though he was not the reason for the caution. He was supposed to restart behind the 40 (according to Ed Cox and the scorers).

RGeeProductions
08-05-2007, 04:02 PM
-Don't forget that TC drove over the top of Stefanik to take the lead originally. TC blocked as hard as he could, and I can't blame Stefanik for getting aggressive after being squeezed into the wall 3X while attempting outside passes.
-Funny observation was how fast the Tour drivers can drive with a flat while chasing the pace car, but the regulars can't even steer the cars off the track during a weekly Saturday night show! (can of worms has been opened.)

Yeah I know, I didn't want to mention that part....
That observation is a good one Neal...
Guess it has to do with laps counting where a regular feature goes back to last lap....MAYBE!!!!!

Dwight Clock
08-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice to see a lot of positive comments eminating from a modified race at Riverhead. Perhaps this new flash format will be the way to go for the tour. Also nice to see that old friend Bob Finan is still handling the mike and PR at Riverhead. The above praise for his efforts are well deserved. And, lastly, the motorhome influx is not limited to the modified tour. Here in Indiana we have what is called Indiana Sprint Week. Eight races at 6 tracks in 11 days. This year there were over 100 motor homes and campers in the parking lot at Gas City by 10 a.m. I worked with American Racing Ministries to cook for the masses there on Saturday and we served over 1000 people from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.!

scottyboy39
08-06-2007, 12:11 AM
In my post I dont want anybody thinking I was insulting the riverhead track crew with the lighting deal.I was just saying that nascar had about 45 mintes to do something about it after the chargers.And they waited until everybody was strapped in.And yes the yellow for wayne was not needed seeing how he was out of the racing line and plus he started rolling before tthe yellow waved.And after talking toa buddy of mine who works with the 15 they said once it spun they would have started in the back and didnt want to risk wrecking the car so he was parking it anyway.It was great to hear the fans going crazy for those 10 laps of tc and mike going at it.Is it me or were there more people in the stands for last years tour event?Also bring back the legends im lookingto buy one and dont feel like traveling to wall every weekend

randomrodder
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
It's been a long time since I've gone to the track, sure glad I went Saturday. Great racing in all series. I was really impressed with the BBs.

Back on Topic. I called it last week and bet on a win with Bill Park. When I entered the pit in the afternoon, I told Bill he'd win. He said, no way. I said, way. Old School, Bill, show the young guys here the way around this old track.
During post inspection I said, Congrats, another 5 laps and the race would have been yours. Bill said, Exactly. 5 and it would have been, my car was hauling tonight.

The 20 had more to give. Great run Bill. Great run also Donny.

Tower Man
08-06-2007, 09:59 AM
To answer Wheel Racing and clarify W.J.'s answer...when ALL laps count, your position is determined by how you cross the line on the next lap and where you blend in. It's that simple.

wally28
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
To everyone who likes the "Flash Format", I say grab a friggin wrench, and then get back to me.

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Why would we have to grab a wrench?

RGeeProductions
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
To everyone who likes the "Flash Format" I say grab a friggin wrench and then get back to me.

Sweet, so if up to you, we will have the 2008 Stafford, Thompson, NHIS, Martinsville Tour. Wow!!! I can't wait!!!!!

Tower Man
08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Grab a wrench? Did you see the 8 get banged around like a football? At one point he was a modified sandwich, wedged between two other cars.He appeared to have a strong car at his home track.

Tough break.

wally28
08-06-2007, 11:10 AM
What I'm saying is, as a fan you might like the "Flash", but as a competitor, we're being told to race for 1/2 the money, and increasing our chances at destroying equipment. The whole idea is assinine and if you don't believe me, just ask the 6, 48, 66, 14, 73, and the rest of the tour regulars who stayed home for these things.

I'd rather run 4 tracks for a full purse and use a tried and true method.

Nascar needs to step up as far as promoting the series. If they actively promote the tour and pick up fan interest, the tracks wil fill the seats, pickup race dates and pay full purses.

What do you guys have to say when cars time trial in the top 20 and miss the show because someone took them out in a flash heat? Or others who are guaranteed provisionals pull in to the infield to save tires and damage and end up forcing others out of the show? Or how the top 7 (this week) get to start the feature with tires far better than the cars who burned theirs up running a 25 lap heat? Or the guys who did make the feature, but couldn't fix their cars after receiving damage in the heat? Oh wait, I take that back, you could fix the car, but only if you want to start at the rear of the field, 25 laps down.

From the stands it might seem fun, but from the pit area, it's nothing but complete b.s.

Look at it this way; Your team busts it, but to give you a good car, you go out and time trial 8th fastest, then start on the pole in a heat race, someone punts you and you finish outside of the qualified cars, miss a provisional and go home after timing 8th. And that's the reward you get for supporting the tour, not to mention all your hard work!!!

See my point now??????

debbie33
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Wasn't there but I agree with you Wally. This race used to be 200 laps for very good money I think the highest paying purse compared to New Hampshire. Then it drops to 150 laps still for decent money. Then it becomes a flash race for a lot less money and almost 150 laps after all is said and done. So who wins the fans get to see some good racing but our equipment gets beat to hell and for what?

RGeeProductions
08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Most already see and know these facts. On the other hand, NASCAR needed to do something to attract more tracks to make it a TOUR. It helped 3 tracks this year have an event but didn't help the teams, as you mentioned. I really don't care to see 3/4 of the races raced at 2 tracks either. And now, who's to say these tracks don't want to have a FLASH race themselves? NASCAR tried this, as you said, from fans view it was OK, but for teams, it stunk. I would prefer to see a wider span of tracks on the tour. Maybe Chemung, Spencer, Seekonk again or any track over a 1/4 mile. I am not knocking Stafford or Thompson at all here either, they are great tracks but NASCAR has to come to some terms with what THEY can do to help the tour. I think the FLASH idea could be worked on but change something to increase the purse a bit but also at the same time, drop the cost to run the FLASH races somehow.

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
What I'm saying is, as a fan you might like the "Flash", but as a competitor, we're being told to race for 1/2 the money, and increasing our chances at destroying equipment. The whole idea is assinine and if you don't believe me, just ask the 6, 48, 66, 14, 73, and the rest of the tour regulars who stayed home for these things.
TBAX-The 6, 48, 66, 14, and 73 were not missed one bit on Saturday. The Race from the Procedure was great. The purse is a separate issue. That's between you and Nascar. As a fan, the Format worked perfectly, and I for one am hoping that the format is in effect at every track next year except NHIS.

I'd rather run 4 tracks for a full purse and use a tried and true method.
TBAX-That's your wish, and you are entitled to state it. Just as I am entitled to state mine.

Nascar needs to step up as far as promoting the series. If they actively promote the tour and pick up fan interest, the tracks wil fill the seats, pickup race dates and pay full purses.
TBAX- This format will help fill the seats, and you are unwilling to try it, so how can you expect Nascar to step up and do something for you, when you are unwilling to help out the Tracks that have Supported Nascar and the Modified Tour for over 25 years?

What do you guys have to say when cars time trial in the top 20 and miss the show because someone took them out in a flash heat? Or others who are guaranteed provisionals pull in to the infield to save tires and damage and end up forcing others out of the show? Or how the top 7 (this week) get to start the feature with tires far better than the cars who burned theirs up running a 25 lap heat? Or the guys who did make the feature, but couldn't fix their cars after receiving damage in the heat? Oh wait, I take that back, you could fix the car, but only if you want to start at the rear of the field, 25 laps down.
TBAX OK, what do you say to a driver who goes out 1st in time trials, and times 25the fastest. Ryan Preece did that this week and raced his way into the feature. I don't know if he would have had a provisional or not, but he ended up 10th because he had the 2nd shot to qualify. Its all about the racing, so please, if you are afraid to race your way in, you might want to move up to the Cup series where qualfiying spots are just handed to drivers for no real reason.

From the stands it might seem fun, but from the pit area, it's nothing but complete b.s.
TBAX-If you don't like it. Don''t race.

Look at it this way; Your team busts it, but to give you a good car, you go out and time trial 8th fastest, then start on the pole in a heat race, someone punts you and you finish outside of the qualified cars, miss a provisional and go home after timing 8th. And that's the reward you get for supporting the tour, not to mention all your hard work!!!.
TBAX- Those are the breaks. If you time trial 12th and finish 9th in your heat, I'd say you just missed out based on the format, and you should try and do better next time. Luckily, you guys got into the race despite your misfortunes, and next time, maybe you will put on a great show that makes some kid a big fan of the 8 car.

See my point now?????!!!
TBAX-I have always seen the driver's and team owner's points, but they never take the fan's point of view in these instances. The always say "We might wreck our car", We want to time trial. You want to time trial. Sell your Equipment, Sell your haulers, sell your houses, move south and by a Busch Car or Truck, because they time trial. But the Modifieds have always been a short track division, and they are richly traditioned in heat races. Get used to my comments, because They won't ever stop!!! And Many fans agree.

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Wasn't there but I agree with you Wally. This race used to be 200 laps for very good money I think the highest paying purse compared to New Hampshire. Then it drops to 150 laps still for decent money. Then it becomes a flash race for a lot less money and almost 150 laps after all is said and done. So who wins the fans get to see some good racing but our equipment gets beat to hell and for what?

Debbie. My comments are strictly regarding the format. The format was exciting. If You guys don't want to race for that purse, I completely understand it. The purse issue is something thats gonna have to work itself out in the future. You guys missed a good one, and I'll always support the 33/38 teams from over in turn 2.

RGeeProductions
08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
‘Boogity, boogity, boogity!’

debbie33
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks Ted for the support. I think the format can work and will work, but the payoff issue has to be taken into consideration. ******* has to take a little out of their pocket if they want these teams to run almost the same amount of laps for less money. It is a new thing and with all new things, they need to be worked out. Hopefully, it will work for all involved the teams, the track, and *******.

The Bullfather
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Your going to need a wrench with or without the flash format. Stop blaming it, every driver seems to hate the format, mostly because of the pay out. Look at the wreckfest at Riverhead and other smaller race tracks over the past 15-20 years. It's going to happen. I think we the "fans" saw the best modified tour race at The Head in 15-20 years!!! We got 200 lap races and everyone followed the leader and no one wanted to pass! They got to save their tires till the end to hold on for a decent to good finish. I don't agree with the smaller purse but the fans got to see some great racing. Did the Tyler team have to grab their wrenches at NHIS? Yes, they did, was it because of the flash format? No! Accidents happen, look over the past few years the tour race was here almost 50 to 75 % of the race was under caution! Tony Hirschman decided to take a stand and not race the flash format, did we miss him on the track? Not I, I enjoyed every green flag lap this past weekend. But it seems everyone wants to hate the flash format. But look at drivers who can't make the fields? How many times did Tyler, Hartmann or Goodale have to go home because of a 2 lap qaulifying?? I don't think it based on their driving skills at all. But when you have powerhouses that knock them off each weekend at tracks and they have to go home early. It doesn't show the true driving skills of the driver. They don't even get to see one green flag lap in competition. Look at an old vet like Wade Cole, he doesn't have the horsepower I'd say of the three guys mentioned above most of the time. He's an old school racer, busted knuckles, but he can still wheel a car and got into the race! Back in the day many cars went home but it wasn't beacuse of qualifying, it's because they had to race their way in! I think it's the way it should be now! But it seems everyone's grip isn't the format it's the pay out and if the pay out was better or the same we'd hear a lot less complaints!

I hear that next year a few other tracks they run now have asked for this format!

catfish
08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Its the reduced payout they're after Bullfather, not the format, no matter what they might tell you. They see it as a way to increase their profits, and bottom line is you cannot blame them, as NASCAR in their infinite wisdom, has opened the door for EVERYONE to try to reduce the payoff's.

The Bullfather
08-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I know it's the decreased pay-out, more tracks are finding it harder to turn a profit. But it's coming through the flash series right now.

Wheel Racing
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
To answer Wheel Racing and clarify W.J.'s answer...when ALL laps count, your position is determined by how you cross the line on the next lap and where you blend in. It's that simple.

Thank You, I get it now

WEEZER
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Hampton J., great reply, it's right on the money, and you too bullfather. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the flash format made for the tracks who couldn't afford a regular tour show? Over the Winter, Wall and Riverhead didn't have tour dates, but after the flash format, those dates where added, which leads me into the main topic, tracks couldn't afford tour dates because of the payout, but if the stands where full, then maybe they could. The last few years, tour races at RH were boring. I'd rather pay $30 to see the best mod drivers race 30 laps rather than drive around for 120 laps, then turn it up for the last 30. The tour teams complain about the flash format, but who is paying their bills?? It's the fans I believe. If the stands are empty, the track can't pay the tour drivers. After this Saturday night's race, if you told me the tour was going to be there again this week, I'd pay and be there, it was great race from a fans view, which is ultimately the bottom line. As usual, you can't please everybody all the time but at least this week the racing treated the fans to a great night!!!

P.S WJ, it was nice meeting you in the pits, too bad our conversation was interupted by some guy named J.A.!! See you Sunday,
Pickles #19

unowho243
08-06-2007, 11:59 PM
We were sitting next to people who stayed in campers @ the track the night before and said there was no lightning, but ok whatever...By the way, I've said for years that Bob Finan could make a raindrop seem interesting. You just gotta love that man!!!!:cheers:

Amen Vickie!

RACENUT
08-07-2007, 01:26 AM
I Think The Format Was Great. Nascar Keeps Working On It And They Are Getting It Better. If This Format Is Going To Bring In More Fans , Then They Will Be Able To Raise The Purse. I Didn't Think The Ticket Price To Get In Was Bad At All. The Only Thing That Would Have Made The Race Better Was If They Didn't Count The Yellow Flags. On A Small Track Like Riverhead, You Know You Are Going To Get A Lot Of Cautions.

scottyboy39
08-07-2007, 01:49 AM
To everyone who likes the "Flash Format", I say grab a friggin wrench, and then get back to me.

I can't grab a wrench, because you guys made it impossible for a guy like me to afford a Modified to run on the weekends with driving up the cost for a decent car. And by the way, I was rooting for the 8 car in the heat race because he was driving hard and beating and banging. He did everything but spin him, and when it was said you guys were in the field, we were happy to see you guys there.

debbie33
08-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I understand that it was great racing for you the fans, but you need to see if from a crew or an owner's point of view. Modified racing is not cheap at your local track. Add travel expenses to that and it really isn't affordable. The flash races are a great idea and good racing, but it may force a lot of teams to rethink the travel. If we were to add all of these other tracks to the tour schedule that have been mentioned as flash races at lower purses, a great number of the lower budget teams will be forced to stay home because the purse will not support the cost to pull out the driveway.
Don't get me wrong, I do not feel that we all need 3 car trailers and things like that, because I know that has driven the cost of racing up. I am talking teams like us the 33/38, the 05 and others. To go to a track off the Island you have gas, ferry, tolls, wear and tear on tow vehicle, lodging, food and other things, but this is to just get to the track. After that you have gas, tires, parts and other things. If you add all that together, last place at the flash races doesn't cover the travel expenses.

Again, I think it is a great way for the fans to see good racing, but something needs to be done to make it worth the teams time, effort and sweat.

Golf Guy
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I understand that it was great racing for you the fans but you need to see if from a crew or an owners point of view. Modified racing is not cheap at your local track, add travel expenses to that and it really isn't affordable. The flash races are a great idea and good racing but it may force alot of teams to rethink the travel. If we were to add all of these other tracks to the tour schedule that have been mentioned as flash races at lower purses a great number of the lower budget teams will be forced to stay home because the purse will not support the cost to pull out the driveway.
Don't get me wrong I do not feel that we all need 3 car trailers and things like that because I know that has driven the cost of racing up. I am talking teams like us the 33/38, the 05 and others. To go to a track off the Island you have gas, ferry, tolls, wear and tear on tow vehicle, lodging, food and other things but this is to just get to the track. After that you have gas, tires, parts and other things. If you add all that together last place at the flash races doesn't cover the travel expenses.

Again I think it is a great way for the fans to see good racing but something needs to be done to make it worth the teams time, effort and sweat.

Hopefully the purse issue will work itself out with bigger crowds for this race format? I know you cannot guarantee a great race every time out, but I think this format lends itself to an exciting race. The more popular they get hopefully the bigger attendance gets. Bigger attendance hopefully will mean bigger purse. I can see how Wally the 33/38 team and the rest of the modified teams feel as though they are being used as guiney pigs though. Chicken and the egg, we have to start somewhere...

W. J.
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
No one disputes that teams need to be able to win (make) money, but if you just time trial, and still don't make the race, you still lose money. If there are 28 starting positions, and 40 cars show up, that's 12 cars (teams) that are not making money, other than possible NASCAR appearance money, and not to belittle that, we all know how far that goes in the overall scheme of things. So format would mean little if the money on the line were the same as it used to be, because the fans want to see more than a multi-lap, single file race, and there's nothing that will change that fact.
Entering a race that you know has more entries than starting positions is always a gamble, and you have to know whether your team has the kind of money to back that up. Yep, if it doesn't, you stay away, or you take the chance you'll make the show, just as many have through years of 'time trial only' qualifying. If flash races put people in the seats, and they have, then maybe promoters will be able to put up the money the teams are looking for to take the chance. Only time will answer that question.

nobandwagonhere
08-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I kind of like the Flash format. I can understand why some don't like it. I mean think about it...God Forbid you have to actually RACE your way into a feature like the good old days. Whatever happened to those days? Days when the heats were better than the features? Days when 10-20 cars went home because they didn't make the feature? Days of real racing, not mirror driving and using the car outside to turn. I'll tell you what...bring theose days back and those drivers back, and let's see some REAL RACING. Not whining...RACING.
It is what it is. No one says you have to run. But don't run and then gripe.
Just my 2 cents.
P.S: Tough break for Joey Hartmann.

J.D.
08-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I thought the new format was good, but the idea that the guys that ran the heats, had to use 25 lap old tires in the main. I think you should have time trials for starting positions in the heats. Then make everybody run the heats for starting positions in the Feature, this way everybody would have equal tires.

Teds Race Tours
08-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I thought the new format was good, but the idea that the guys that ran the heats, had to use 25 lap old tires in the main. I think you should have time trials for starting positions in the heats. Then make everybody run the heats for starting positions in the Feature, this way everybody would have equal tires.

I don't think this was a big problem John. Ronnie Silk ran the heat, used up a lot of tire to pass about 10 cars, and still was as fast at the end as Lia and Park, who made it on time. Bonsignore, too.